February 2019 Weather in the Pacific Northwest - Part 1

Guest hawkstwelve

00z ICON goes out 60hrs so far, but at hr60 which is 4am friday it has snow already arriving in seattle.

On the ICON precip map showing up as a rain snow mix. But with northerly flow aloft I have no doubt it will all come down as snow in the vast majority of places/

Ahh bummer! :( BUT good to it sounds like... Bittersweet

Well, quite frankly....when you spend more time lamenting the snow vs enjoying it, your perspective tends to change. Believe me, when we first moved here, we were fresh and ready for it. When it snowed, it didn't stop, and our kids and us loved it. Then it just kept snowing. And then I had to snow rake the roof. And then plow driveway...like nearly every day in the winter of 16'-17'.... And 17'-18'. It gets old fast. Kind of like a nice sweet brand car that's fast and turns heads. Then it's gets a few miles on it and begins to nickel and dime you. And then, slowly, over time, your attitude towards the flashy new car isn't as attractive anymore. Only then, do you begin to realize that the mediocre used cars you've owned your whole life actually meets your needs and that the difference between a novelty item and one that fits your needs is Paramount....

Edit: I am in no way backpedaling on my (our) move to where we live from western wa. However, with what was said above, it's worth mentioning that the only climate left to test our "adaptability" is the polar opposite of what we've become accustomed to in recent years. If Phoenix doesn't cut the mustard (highly doubtful, Because the wife loooooves the heat...) Then our only option then is to merely move back to our miserable, boring Homeland.

• Like 2

ICON is WAY faster than all the models.   Its also warmer than its 12Z run.   

That is rain maybe even here during the day.    Have to wait and see if GFS follows.   ECMWF was much slower and colder.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

ICON was a weird run. Anyways, it's just the ICON, it isn't the greatest model so far out anyways.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Can't bear to watch the GFS, but my fingers are crossed.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will be nice to have someone in AZ for the forums. You'll get some pretty intense thunderstorms, haboobs, and if you're up for a couple hour drive to the north, some of the best snowfall in the west.

I would be honored to report on such phenomenal weather. Weather is weather. No matter what ones preference is, exciting weather always turns heads.

• Like 1

pressure gradient doesn't look very intense, can't make out a high

Usually you would expect the low to keep going east and disintegrate as it hit the cascades but thats not what happened on that run which is what makes it so good for Victoria and Shawnigan Lake.

00z ICON snowmap is meh, 3-4" for both SEA and PDX (not to say that's a letdown, just excited by the 6-12" from the euro and gfs this morning)

For some reason, the ICON snow map is always underdone compared to what the model itself actually shows. Yesterday it had a run that showed no more than about 4-5" anywhere despite showing an inch of QPF all falling as snow.

That said, this run did show Seattle having shadowing issues and showed a good amount of the moisture falling as rain over the Sound. 

It's all largely a moot point though as it isn't a particularly accurate model.

• Like 1

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

For some reason, the ICON snow map is always underdone compared to what the model itself actually shows. Yesterday it had a run that showed no more than about 4-5" anywhere despite showing an inch of QPF all falling as snow.

That said, this run did show Seattle having shadowing issues and showed a good amount of the moisture falling as rain over the Sound. 

It's all largely a moot point though as it isn't a particularly accurate model.

Yes I made this comment the other day. What would be shown on an icon precipitation map as 4 inches imo would actually be closer to 6 or 8 inches (assuming 10 to 1 ratios, of course).

00z ICON snowmap is meh, 3-4" for both SEA and PDX (not to say that's a letdown, just excited by the 6-12" from the euro and gfs this morning)

I might be wrong but that ECMWF map was over a full 10 day period. The ICON doesn't go out that far so it won't pick up later week stuff. I don't think the ECMWF was very impressive with the Friday - Saturday snowfall anywhere in the region.

I might be wrong but that ECMWF map was over a full 10 day period. The ICON doesn't go out that far so it won't pick up later week stuff. I don't think the ECMWF was very impressive with the Friday - Saturday snowfall anywhere in the region.

That ECMWF map showed about 7-10 inches in parts of Seattle, with 3-6 inches in the PDX area.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife