February 2019 Weather in the Pacific Northwest - Part 1

Guest hawkstwelve

The Monday/Tuesday system is going to be very difficult to predict.   

Much harder than the Friday/Saturday system which is a single storm coming through.

If the phasing does not happen on Monday... there could be nothing at all.   If it phases perfectly like the 12Z ECMWF showed then there could be a massive snowstorm.   It literally formed out of nothing right over western WA on Monday on the 12Z ECMWF run.   No other model has shown that perfect balance.    But its also the ECMWF so it carries more weight and might end up leading the way and the other models will catch up.

None of the GFS ensemble members show a significant event in this area Monday - Wednesday. Maybe some sort of clipper.

NOW-CAST RUNDOWN OF EACH PDX MET (feel free to correct me): This is for Saturday-Monday's event.

Rod Hill: 4 inches of snow possible Saturday night into Sunday morning.

Steve Pierce: 4-6 inches of sticking snow Saturday into Sunday.

Matt Zaffino: 1-4 inches of snow Saturday night.

Mark Nelsen: Wait and watch, especially due to east wind influence.

Rhonda Shelby: Wait and watch.

Bruce Sussman: ?

NWS Folks: Wait and watch.

• Like 2

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

NOW-CAST RUNDOWN OF EACH PDX MET (feel free to correct me): This is for Saturday-Monday's event.

Rod Hill: 4 inches of snow possible Saturday night into Sunday morning.

Steve Pierce: 4-6 inches of sticking snow Saturday into Sunday.

Matt Zaffino: 1-4 inches of snow Saturday night.

Mark Nelsen: Wait and watch, especially due to east wind influence.

Rhonda Shelby: Wait and watch.

Bruce Sussman: ?

NWS Folks: Wait and watch.

This is the most I have anticipated a blog update from Nelsen in awhile.

• Like 1

Guest hawkstwelve

Not sure if it's already been mentioned and I'm just late to the party, but the FV3 supports the 12z Euro's Monday/Tuesday system. 

From 4PM Monday through 4PM Tuesday...

fv3-gfs_2019-02-07-00Z_144_50.218_233.31

This is the most I have anticipated a blog update from Nelsen in awhile.

Yeah, no kidding. January 6th, 2017 was the last time I've been this eager for a post.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Not sure if it's already been mentioned and I'm just late to the party, but the FV3 supports the 12z Euro's Monday/Tuesday system. 

From 4PM Monday through 4PM Tuesday...

fv3-gfs_2019-02-07-00Z_144_50.218_233.31

Care to extend that map south 75 miles or so? Around the edge of the flat earth and to the underside where Portland is.

• Like 1

Care to extend that map south 75 miles or so? Around the edge of the flat earth and to the underside where Portland is.

Actually laughed out loud on this one.    

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Guest hawkstwelve

"Come to the underside... We have cookies."

fv3-gfs_2019-02-07-00Z_144_47.136_235.17

I am virtually certain the ECMWF is going to be crazy good for Puget Sounders on Friday night and Saturday.   Just a question of how much.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Pretty easy to tell where the snow fell with the last system on today's satellite:

XGWImfq.png

Love how Lake Washington and Lake Sammamish stand out so well in the snowy landscape.  

Guest hawkstwelve

Love how Lake Washington and Lake Sammamish stand out so well in the snowy landscape.  

Snoqualmie Valley is always so prominent on satellite pics as well. Pretty cool.

Pretty easy to tell where the snow fell with the last system on today's satellite:

XGWImfq.png

I am making a run over to Oak Harbor tomorrow morning for work, looks like the drive through deception pass will be interesting, looks very bright white in that area.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth!