February 2019 Weather Observations and Discussion Part 2

snow_wizard

Our friends at Eagle Crest.  First pic was at 8am.  Second pic at noon.  They measured 28" on their deck, 18f.

It's always amazing how quickly dry snow settles. Neat to see the visual.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Yep, the last gasp of air from this dying band. It certainly overachieved though, kept some snow falling all day and held off the high temps. Not too bad.

Yeah I was surprised to see PDX pull of a sub-40 max despite starting out the day just a degree cooler than their ultimate high of 38.

If things work out just right they could pull off three sub-40s in a row this week, which would probably be one of the latest such stretches on record.

• Like 1

Might be another snow day for you but hopefully with more snow.

I hope so! I'm still not really expecting anything (as models show a snow holes over the PDX and Salem areas).

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Some areas around Camp Sherman reported receiving 4' of snow with this storm. 

https://www.ktvz.com/news/record-smashing-high-desert-snowfall-keeps-piling-up/1039880884

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Yeah I was surprised to see PDX pull of a sub-40 max despite starting out the day just a degree cooler than their ultimate high of 38.

If things work out just right they could pull off three sub-40s in a row this week, which would probably be one of the latest such stretches on record.

Yeah impressive stuff, walking around outside I had to remind myself that it is almost March and yet we have -8c 850mb temps and an east wind. 

How amazing it would be to have this upper level pattern all winter every winter 

• Like 2

EDIT: I checked, and the latest stretch of three or more consecutive highs in the 30s that I can find in their period of record occurred in 1960 (they had four in a row March 2-5).

If they make a clean sweep through Wednesday this will be the longest stretch this late since then. Although it’s possible I missed an event since I scanned quickly.

• Like 2

Just peeked outside and it’s snowing lightly here in Tigard again

Snowing here too. The band is slowly dying, emphasis on the slowly!

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It appears Wednesday night or so may be the only realistic chance of snow for the Seattle area.  Hard to imagine a closed ULL in the progged position not providing at least a chance.  It will probably be a watch the radar kind of night.

Surprisingly there were actually some flurries in this area during the late afternoon.  I sure wan't expecting that.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

It appears Wednesday night or so may be the only realistic chance of snow for the Seattle area.  Hard to imagine a closed ULL in the progged position not providing at least a chance.  It will probably a watch the radar kind of night.

Surprisingly there were actually some flurries in this area during the late afternoon.  I sure wan't expecting that.

Any idea of whether it could be better for the Portland region?

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

It appears Wednesday night or so may be the only realistic chance of snow for the Seattle area. Hard to imagine a closed ULL in the progged position not providing at least a chance. It will probably be a watch the radar kind of night.

Surprisingly there were actually some flurries in this area during the late afternoon. I sure wan't expecting that.

I have the feeling winter will slowly fade now... with not much excitement.

All we got was one of the snowiest and/or coldest Febs on record for many locations. Yawn...

It has been quite a month.  I think the Seattle people will feel better about it when the disappointment of missing out on this latest round of snow subsides.  In the end it's the fun parts of these months that are remembered.  To me the two striking things about this month are the amount and widespread nature of the snows, and the incredible duration of below normal temps.  This has really been an extraordinary run and may only be the beginning of a regime shift.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Kind of disappointing that the Portland area wasn’t able to score a little more but good for areas in central and south oregon though :), looks like there will be some snow chances this week for most people in WA and OR but nothing major probably

• Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Kind of disappointing that the Portland area wasn’t able to score a little more but good for areas in central and south oregon though :), looks like there will be some snow chances this week for most people in WA and OR but nothing major probably

I would be really upset if I lived in the Portland area.  Areas both north and south of them have gotten crushed this month.  Kind of reminds me of how it felt in Seattle in 2016-17 or more so 2013-14.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

It has been quite a month.  I think the Seattle people will feel better about it when the disappointment of missing out on this latest round of snow subsides.  In the end it's the fun parts of these months that are remembered.  To me the two striking things about this month are the amount and widespread nature of the snows, and the incredible duration of below normal temps.  This has really been an extraordinary run and may only be the beginning of a regime shift.

I think Seattle has done amazingly well this month, I don't understand how it can be viewed as disappointing in anyway. You might not be done with snow either with this badass pattern still going.

Would be nice if PDX could get in on even a single widespread 2-4 inch snowstorm though. We've only had teases and near misses all month.  

• Like 1

Only his are correct though.

We must all love cold just for cold... regardless of snow!

But not all of us do. ;)

Didn’t both you and Chris get snow this month too? Just seems strange to complain about winter fading away with no excitement just days before the beginning of March at the tail end of one of our more active region wide Februaries in living memory.