March 2019 Weather Discussion in the PNW

BLI snowman

I didn’t actually, but what you said definitely pissed me off. I’m not a big fan of double standards in general, and they are applied an awful lot here. Me making a profanity laden statement telling someone to f*ck a chainsaw (which I have never done) should be tolerated no more or less than you making one.

You are definitely held at a much higher standard of what is acceptable to say than others for some reason and should definitely be given a lot more slack. You're just a reasonable guy.

Any Euro map updates for the Monday night/Tuesday morning snow possibilities?

Less than the 12Z run.   And it a couple degrees warmer.   Any snow would really wet.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Sort of fun to look at high temp maps and mistake the 10 a.m. readings for the highs because its warmer than anything we have seen in 2 months.

And the West Coast warm finger will be making a late season appearance!    A very small percentage of the country is in the yellow shading or higher. 

ecmwf-t2max-conus2-29.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Final shot of winter for those at higher elevations:

wa_snow48.72.0000.gif

That is not even snow for my house.   That looks like 1,500 ft snow levels here.

Sort of fun to look at high temp maps and mistake the 10 a.m. readings for the highs because its warmer than anything we have seen in 2 months.

And the West Coast warm finger will be making a late season appearance!    A very small percentage of the country is in the yellow shading or higher. 

ecmwf-t2max-conus2-29.png

The difference in ocean temperature between the ocean off the PNW and Atlantic is pretty clear there. Also warm in the Canadian Maritimes but those offshore temperatures are quite cold.

ecmwf-snow-6-washington-11.png

Coldest temps are at 4 a.m... its in the low 40s by 10 am.    Its probably non-sticking wet snow below 1,000 feet... probably not much here either. 

ecmwf-t2m-washington-11.png

That is not even snow for my house.   That looks like 1,500 ft snow levels here.

Joke is successful!

I'm really impressed by the posts from last couple of days, I kept reading and posting less because of how heated things got, was a real roller coaster. Almost better than reading the forum during SEA NWS CWA snowstorms.

ecmwf-snow-6-washington-11.png

Coldest temps are at 4 a.m... its in the low 40s by 10 am. Its probably non-sticking wet snow below 1,000 feet... probably not much here either.

ecmwf-t2m-washington-11.png

I’m still in the blue!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Guest CulverJosh

Joke is successful!

I'm really impressed by the posts from last couple of days, I kept reading and posting less because of how heated things got, was a real roller coaster. Almost better than reading the forum during SEA NWS CWA snowstorms.

Oh ya. The political forum commences and all hell breaks loose.

Possible record low in the making for Ellensburg.  The record for today is 6 and they are currently bouncing around 7 and 8.  The record for tomorrow is -1 so that isn't likely to happen.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Ellensburg pulled it off.  They dropped to 5 before midnight.  Aamzing consdering this is a only a second rate cold air mass compared to some of what we've seen the past 5 weeks.  5 before midnight this far into March is pretty amazing for Central WA.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I looked it up. Says Golden Hinde. 7200', not bad. Looks like a good portion of that island has pretty good elevation.

I has no idea anywhere on the Island was that high.  Must be very cold and snowy.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Guest CulverJosh

I has no idea anywhere on the Island was that high. Must be very cold and snowy.

Ya. Looks like a couple peaks over 7k.

Wonder if there are any roads that go up there. Maybe one of the canadian dudes can chime in.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

The end of the 0z GF shows the pattern wanting to retrograde.  How amazing would it be to go from what we've been having to freakish warmth, back to well below normal?  Maybe some 1930s ish action?

Interestingly the ECMWF maintains fairly cold minimums through all of the upcoming week.  Some places could have some really impressive average low temps for March if the late part of the month doesn't mess it up.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Ya. Looks like a couple peaks over 7k.

Wonder if there are any roads that go up there. Maybe one of the canadian dudes can chime in.

Most of the maintained roads are pretty low elevation, less than 1500ft. Obviously the road to the Mount Washington ski hill is higher and that mountain can be one of the snowiest ski hills in the world. I believe their record for a season is around 750”. The highway that cuts through the middle of the island to get to tofino isn’t high elevation but can be subject to very heavy snowfalls. There are lots of hiking trails and you can easily access the alpine. Mt Albert Edward is popular and is just shy of 7000’

So many sub freezing nights the past few weeks...was just thinking about it today on how all these freezes are going to effect crop yields, another thing I was wondering about...will all this cold do a big number on the amount of mosquitoes? Kind of seems like a dumb question but it seems like there have been more mosquitoes/pesky insecsts in summers following mild/low amount of freezing nights in the winter. Crops is another thing to worry about especially east of the mountains where it’s been very very cold unseasonably late after a relatively mild beginning to the winter.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

So many sub freezing nights the past few weeks...was just thinking about it today on how all these freezes are going to effect crop yields, another thing I was wondering about...will all this cold do a big number on the amount of mosquitoes? Kind of seems like a dumb question but it seems like there have been more mosquitoes/pesky insecsts in summers following mild/low amount of freezing nights in the winter. Crops is another thing to worry about especially east of the mountains where it’s been very very cold unseasonably late after a relatively mild beginning to the winter.

I know that the mosquitoes are bad in the Midwest and Alaska every summer.... despite the harsh winters.

Ah ok that is true. I’ve heard stories about how bad mosquitoes are up in Alaska. So many lakes and ponds everywhere. I was hoping they would all just not show up this year I hate mosquitoes. Hopefully all the crops east of the mountains have done ok.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

I’ve already seen several dead overwintering yellowjacket queens so hopefully we get a year with fewer of them. Summer of 17 was ok. Last summer sucked for them.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

If the Washington State Legislature has anything to say about it, time change jokes may soon be a thing of the past.

I was going to mention that. Obviously Oregon has to agree as well or it would get pretty crazy and confusing in the Portland area from November to March.