March 2019 Weather Discussion in the PNW

BLI snowman

I haven't decided who to support in 2020 yet, going to let things shake out for another 10 months or so.

I'm sure you are salivating at the opportunity to make me feel like an idiot about my choice whatever it ultimately ends up being, though! Don't worry the time will come soon enough.

You were indeed the only reason Bernie was a poor choice among other poor choices.

Such hubris...

Biden is about the only think that can save the dems at this point. Still a long way to go...

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

You were indeed the only reason Bernie was a poor choice among other poor choices.

Such hubris...

Biden is about the only think that can save the dems at this point. Still a long way to go...

Very possible someone who is a relative no-name right now comes out of left field (haha) and eventually gains the nomination too. I like Sanders but honestly I feel like a lot of his momentum was spent in 2016. Hard to make lightning strike twice. Plus I feel he is getting too old at this point. 

Out and about this morning and making my usual stop at Costco for gas I drove up to my old place. Only snow in my old yard is where they shoveled the driveway and a little snow cover left in the shady areas. My new place definitely out performed the old place last week! Also I like to listen to the real estate show on Komo 1000 on Sunday mornings and the news guy at the top of the hour said that today would be an excellent day to get out and mow the yard...

8E3DEDB8-A2F3-43E9-8688-D1E47D93026A.jpeg

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Folks, just had my most 1 day March snow since 03/20/2012.... Pics coming!

I measured 6 inches out there, today is getting a spot on my signature. lol

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Some hope for a wetter and more active pattern showing up in the long range GFS ensembles.

attachicon.gif7FB26303-AB75-4386-A5CA-6114585A5698.png

It wouldn't shock me to see a blocky regime stay in place with a retrogression and much colder again late month / early April.  We'll have to see if the LRC is still in effect or not.  Highly possible it got knocked for a loop by the 5 week cold wave.  If it is still in effect the regime was troughs late month carrying a little bit into the next month.  Little doubt we will see the pattern you are wishing for at some point though.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Out and about this morning and making my usual stop at Costco for gas I drove up to my old place. Only snow in my old yard is where they shoveled the driveway and a little snow cover left in the shady areas. My new place definitely out performed the old place last week! Also I like to listen to the real estate show on Komo 1000 on Sunday mornings and the news guy at the top of the hour said that today would be an excellent day to get out and mow the yard...

Why would anyone need to mow?  My lawn is still absolutely dormant.  The lawn has been freezing solid at night.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

It wouldn't shock me to see a blocky regime stay in place with a retrogression and much colder again late month / early April. We'll have to see if the LRC is still in effect or not. Highly possible it got knocked for a loop by the 5 week cold wave. If it is still in effect the regime was troughs late month carrying a little bit into the next month. Little doubt we will see the pattern you are wishing for at some point though.

I’m honestly fine with whatever as long as the pattern remains somewhat variable and we don’t slip into another nasty warm season drought down here like we did last year.

• Like 1

Very possible someone who is a relative no-name right now comes out of left field (haha) and eventually gains the nomination too. I like Sanders but honestly I feel like a lot of his momentum was spent in 2016. Hard to make lightning strike twice. Plus I feel he is getting too old at this point. 

Bernie just looks old too.  I don't think that will play well overall. 

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Pretty impressive that PDX beat its 30-year benchmark for lowest March temp three times with two separate air masses this month.

Before March 2019, the 1989-present March benchmark there was just 28.

This month they hit 26 on the 2nd, 24 on the 5th and 26 again this morning.

Just looked through my personal wether records which go back to 1978 and as I expected it hasn't gotten as cold this late as my last two mornings here.  These were all locations that are good for cold low temps.  Prior to this the year the coldest I recorded this late or later was 27.  This morning dropped to 23 and yesterday 24.  Big time stuff going on this year.  Interestingly in looking back it's apparent recent Marches have been colder and snowier in general than those in the late 1970s through 2000.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Pretty impressive that PDX beat its 30-year benchmark for lowest March temp three times with two separate air masses this month.

Before March 2019, the 1989-present March benchmark there was just 28.

This month they hit 26 on the 2nd, 24 on the 5th and 26 again this morning.

This is pretty awesome.  Just another in a long list of great achievements over the past 5 weeks.  Some places could have insane average low temps this month.  Even the much warmer pattern coming up will have mostly chilly nights in many locations.

An interesting note about 1989 is after March 4 winter just eneded.  No more freezing low temps where I was living at the time.  That was after a very late first freeze that season as well.  That was a really odd season.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Sure going to be lovely to start out the day in the low 40s at dawn a week from now. And be well into the 50s by late morning (per the ECMWF). :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Not sure how much of a factor appearances play overall since we have a sitting president who looks like he’s got some roadkill balanced on his head.

He is pretty robust though. Bernie seems so frail.  It's funny that Trump knows his hair is a laughing stock and yet he still does it that way.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

It's still snowing as I post this. 6" on the railing, steps, and everywhere else that had nothing before this morning. I am putting 03/10/2019 on my signature. 

I just killed my March average in a mere handful of hours. 

qleUlfH.jpg

ujxJpUe.jpg

N5WIJ2Q.jpg

q3Ol8X5.jpg

Yard measurement in spots that still had an inch. 7" depths in March doesn't always happen...

TuALjbM.jpg

• Like 5

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

Sure going to be lovely to start out the day in the low 40s at dawn a week from now. And be well into the 50s by late morning (per the ECMWF). :)

Sorry if the cold mornings talk is bothering you. People like what they like. Been a pretty interesting stretch.

Cold east wind has started up here now with a temp of 43 and DP well into the 20s. As long as the snow and cold in the basin stick around that wind is going to maintain an out of season presence down here.

• Like 1

Nothing to be ashamed of Tim, I won't see my Daffodils until June!!

As I promised yesterday... 3 feet of snow is no match for our daffodils. :)

20190310-115131.jpg

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Sorry if the cold mornings talk is bothering you. People like what they like. Been a pretty interesting stretch.

Cold east wind has started up here now with a temp of 43 and DP well into the 20s. As long as the snow and cold in the basin stick around that wind is going to maintain an out of season presence down here.

This is actually incredibly interesting.  No doubt this is getting an old time feel to it.  Still one more quick shot of cold coming up too.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

It's still snowing as I post this. 6" on the railing, steps, and everywhere else that had nothing before this morning. I am putting 03/10/2019 on my signature. 

I just killed my March average in a mere handful of hours. 

qleUlfH.jpg

ujxJpUe.jpg

N5WIJ2Q.jpg

q3Ol8X5.jpg

Yard measurement in spots that still had an inch. 7" depths in March doesn't always happen...

TuALjbM.jpg

This cold snap is going to keep on delivering right up to the end it appears.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I have no problem with people reporting on the cold. It is happening and its historically significant. But you obviously get pretty annoyed when people talk about warmth. ;)

I am looking forward to the warm up regardless of what people are talking about or even if this forum did not exist.

I have no problem with people reporting on the cold. It is happening and its historically significant.

I am looking forward to the warmth regardless of what people are talking about or even if this forum did not exist.

Yeah but the timing of your post was pretty obvious. :)

Hard to believe that I might see a few more inches early this week...Just unbelievable!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Yeah but the timing of your post was pretty obvious. :)

Obvious? I have been hoping for warmer lows for a long time now. Lows were being discussed. I see something ahead that I will like. Sorry.

Ugh, not a lot of hope on the Euro through day 10. It is concerning to immediately switch from the last 5-6 weeks of cold right back to a nasty, boring torch. Was sort of hoping for a more intermediate pattern.

Day 9 looks like a 71-45 type day at SEA accounting for it being 3 degrees too cool almost every single day for the high temp there.

But will it still be snowy later this month for me? If I truly had a repeat of March 2012 I recorded 15.20" that month. Sounds difficult to beat but who knows!!!  :lol:

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

I was going to mention that. Obviously Oregon has to agree as well or it would get pretty crazy and confusing in the Portland area from November to March.

I caught a quick news clip that it is actually starting to be entertained at the national level, with 3 legislators from Florida recently introducing a bill to go to year around DST for the whole counry....whether or not it goes anywhere is another story.

I for one would love it.  It takes me a good 2 weeks to recover from the time change, and while it would suck to not have sunrise until 9am, having a sunset past 5pm would make it worthwhile.  

• Like 2

Gets harder and harder to be a no name these days. At this point with the field already so saturated with people smelling blood in the water I think the only wild card is the celebrity angle.

Winfrey/Smollett 2020!!!

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.