March 2019 Weather Discussion in the PNW

BLI snowman

I hope this verifies for PDX but with the way things have gone for them this winter I'd be a bit skeptical. I don't think I ever recall a winter where there are this many chances and not have them go through. 

Maybe this will be it and again, I hope for no ice storm. 

An ice storm won't happen with this. You really need temps into the upper 20s to get very efficient ice accumulation. We will be in the mid to upper 30s when precip starts as all rain and we cool to 32-34 in the evening with snow. Good odds we see plenty of snow falling with this but depending on timing we could get something between 0 to a couple inches.Given how late it is in the season and how PDX just can't seem to buy a half decent snowstorm this season I'd probably bet on a trace. The good old moisture running out just as it gets cold enough routine that this place is so good at doing. 

• Like 3

I think that's subjective. Compared to a normal low of 38, some may say 31 is impressive and not to mention SEA will always be slightly warmer. In W. Wa, outliers areas are much much colder. BFI was down to 25 and my area was 23... that's impressive cold for this time of year.

Sorry I was not super excited about going slightly below freezing last night after 50+ inches of snow last month and getting down to 12 degrees just 3 weeks ago. A low of 30 seems dull now.

I said it was an impressive air mass but not too impressive around here.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Sorry I was not super excited about going slightly below freezing last night after 50+ inches of snow last month and getting down to 12 degrees just 3 weeks ago.

You said it was impressive on the other side of the mountains.

A forum for the end of the world.

Sorry I was not super excited about going slightly below freezing last night after 50+ inches of snow last month and getting down to 12 degrees just 3 weeks ago. A low of 30 seems dull now.

Subjective. 

3 weeks ago was supposed to be colder than first week of March regardless.

We are talking about this time of the year are we not and not 3-4 weeks ago?

• Like 1

You said it was impressive on the other side of the mountains.

It is.

And I said the ECMWF was right about it being more impressive to the south as well. ;)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Subjective.

3 weeks ago was supposed to be colder than first week of March regardless.

We are talking about this time of the year are we not and not 3-4 weeks ago?

It can get down to 31 at SEA and 30 here on a clear night in April.

Whatever.

Ouch!

This harkens back to the days of you trying to go toe to toe with him on the Fox12 blog!

Just like when I sat him on my knee and we had a long heart to heart about the inevitabilities of our two week inversion season.

I think that's subjective. Compared to a normal low of 38, some may say 31 is impressive and not to mention SEA will always be slightly warmer. In W. Wa, outliers areas are much much colder. BFI was down to 25 and my area was 23... that's impressive cold for this time of year.

Tim will always cherry-pick the warmest station to frame his narrative. Always. Even if that station is surrounded by water, concrete runways, airplane exhaust, and an expanding, sprawling urban utopia..if it fits the narrative it’s a good station.

Tim would be good at politics.

• Like 1

Tim will always cherry-pick the warmest station to frame his narrative. Always. Even if that station is surrounded by water, concrete runways, airplane exhaust, and an expanding, sprawling urban utopia..if it fits the narrative it’s a good station.

Tim would be good at politics.

I always report SEA.   And the stats in my area.   Like most people who report on PDX and the stats in their backyard in the Portland area.   Exact same thing.

That is true.

Bozeman Airport officially made it down to -39F this morning. 

For reference of this incredible March airmass, the all-time record low there is -46 in December 1983 and January 1957.

• Like 4

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

People seem to get really mad in downslope warming situations when it runs warmer here and I am not busy jacking off in excitement about cold temps at OLM or somewhere else.     :lol:

But downslope warming will always be a thing around here. 

And I will always report my stats... whether its 50+ inches of snow or heavy rain or not being as cold as other places when there is downsloping in play!     

I can't change what nature does.   I don't tell other people their stats are wrong because its different than here.   ;)

People seem to get really mad in downslope warming situations when it runs warmer here and I am not busy jacking off in excitement about cold temps at OLM or somewhere else.     :lol:

But downslope warming will always be a thing around here. 

And I will always report my stats... whether its 50+ inches of snow or heavy rain or not being as cold as other places when there is downsloping in play!     

I can't change what nature does.   

Have you ever been tested for being on the spectrum? Serious question. 

• Like 2

Bozeman Airport officially made it down to -39F this morning. 

For reference of this incredible March airmass, the all-time record low there is -46 in December 1983 and January 1957.

Truly incredible.  

It can get down to 31 at SEA and 30 here on a clear night in April.

Whatever.

And other areas will be much much colder than SEA if they are down to 31 in April and that will still be impressive. 

Like I said, BFI was down to 25 and Olympia was down to 21. SEA does not represent W. Wa as a whole, the outliers will always be colder. A good 10-15F below normal. These numbers are not impressive?

Have you ever been tested for being on the spectrum? Serious question. 

I love how my take on the actual local weather here is so important to everyone.      :lol:

And other areas will be much much colder than SEA if they are down to 31 in April and that will still be impressive. 

Like I said, BFI was down to 25 and Olympia was down to 21. SEA does not represent W. Wa as a whole, the outliers will always be colder. A good 10-15F below normal. These numbers are not impressive?

So impressive!

OLM was cold in an east wind situation.   And its Monday.    

Who cares if I think it was impressive?   I said many, many times that February was off-the-charts impressive with all the of major snow events and consistent cold.  

47/33 at SEA and 44/30 here and sunny does not seem too exciting in comparison.   Low impact... and quite pleasant actually.   Everyone has their own opinions based on what happens in their area.   Portland folks don't think the snow in February was too impressive.   I agree with them.   But it sure was in the Seattle area and here.  

I love how my take on the actual local weather here is so important to everyone.      :lol:

Well you are sort of a dominating presence on this forum, and you very often comment on people's observations that have absolutely nothing to do with you to put your own little spin on them, so it should come as no surprise.

Live by the sword, die by the sword. ;)

• Like 2

Well you are sort of a dominating presence on this forum, and you very often comment on people's observations that have absolutely nothing to do with you to put your own little spin on them, so it should come as no surprise.

Live by the sword, die by the sword. ;)

I guess.   

That is a reasonable point.  

I sure hope no one ever reports on PDX again.    :lol:

Yean, not gonna happen. Dewey and I were just having a scintillating discussion about PDX obs. My apologies if it's been distracting him from barking at the mailmen.

Yean, not gonna happen. Dewey and I were just having a scintillating discussion about PDX obs. My apologies if it's been distracting him from barking at the mailmen.

Phil is so eager to get me lately that he will jump on anything.   Like reporting on the major stations in the area like we always do.    And focusing on the major station closest to you.   As you do with PDX.

Jared says the UHI is 1-2 degrees at SEA.    Probably no UHI at all on a windy night like last night.    But for the sake argument... lets subtract 1 degree from the low at SEA.   A low of 30 is still not impressive.  

Or maybe we should subtract 15 degrees?   Its total garbage.   I bets its really in the 20s there right now on this sunny afternoon.   SEA really had a -22 departure for February instead of -7.    Even though OLM was also around -7 for the month.   Lets assume -22.   :lol:

And never mention SEA or PDX again.   

You guys are your airports...

Weather isn’t just happening at the airport! And The Nile isn’t just a river in Egypt!

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Breathe.

And reporting 100% accurate stats in my area on a forum for PNW weather is attacked by a man 3,000 miles away who is, ironically, the biggest offender in the history of this forum for making up stats.    And lying in general.  

Like 95-degree dewpoints and 200 mph winds and living at Stampede Pass.  

And who will spend the summer posting in our forum about the crippling humidity in DC.    Go figure.    :lol:

I always report SEA. And the stats in my area. Like most people who report on PDX and the stats in their backyard in the Portland area. Exact same thing.

That is true.

If you lived here you’d find an excuse to pimp DCA and ignore IAD-Dulles. Somehow.

• Like 1

Has anyone here actually ever jacked off to the weather?

Only to certain screenshots of epic model runs.....

...well, there was that time when the hot weathercaster was wearing a really low cut blouse...I think she was talking about high dew points and may have mentioned that it was going to feel moist?

Yeah I think weathercasters count.

There is UHI on windy nights. Just less of it.

Also depends on the wind direction, cloud cover, and relative humidity within the boundary layer. If there’s concrete/water/etc upwind, that will certainly inflate the surface temperatures somewhat even if the lower boundary layer is decently mixed.

Only to certain screenshots of epic model runs.....

...well, there was that time when the hot weathercaster was wearing a really low cut blouse...I think she was talking about high dew points and may have mentioned that it was going to feel moist?

I’m not sure if that counts...

I think the ultimate would be pleasuring yourself to the weather in a bathroom stall at KPDX or KSEA.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

There is UHI on windy nights. Just less of it.

Also depends on the wind direction, cloud cover, and relative humidity within the boundary layer. If there’s concrete/water/etc upwind, that will certainly inflate the surface temperatures somewhat even if the lower boundary layer is decently mixed.

It was 30 in North Bend last night... 31 at SEA makes sense. You just don't understand our downslope warming microclimates. That's OK. I do. I experience it firsthand all the time.

That gap in the Cascades is also responsible for the 50+ inches of snow here last month. It can make it warmer here and it can also make it way snowier here. Those are just the facts. Whether you choose to accept them or not. ;)