4/10 - 4/12 Plains/Upper Midwest Powerhouse Blizzard

Tom

I am concerned about the potential ice before the snow and what it could do to trees and power lines.  Plus it will be a heavy wet snow which will also cause other issues for those farmers that are calving.  Just an amazing winter/spring in Nebraska for extreme weather events with many not being positive.

Blizzard Warning

...BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM WEDNESDAY TO 1 AM CDT

FRIDAY ...

* WHAT ...Freezing rain, sleet, and blizzard conditions expected.

Total snow accumulations of 3 to 6 inches locally up to 7

inches, and ice accumulations of up to two tenths of an inch

expected. North winds of 30 to 40 mph gusting as high as 50 to

60 mph.

* WHERE ...Portions of central and south central Nebraska.

* WHEN ...From 7 PM Wednesday to 1 AM CDT Friday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS ...Travel could be very difficult. Areas of

blowing snow could significantly reduce visibility. The

hazardous conditions could impact the morning and evening

commutes. Strong winds could cause extensive damage to trees and

power lines, especially in areas that receive freezing rain.

Road closures may be possible during the height of the storm.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS ...

A Blizzard Warning means severe winter weather conditions are

expected or occurring. Falling and blowing snow with strong winds

and poor visibilities are likely. This will lead to whiteout

conditions, making travel extremely dangerous. Do not travel. If

you must travel, have a winter survival kit with you. If you get

stranded, stay with your vehicle.

The latest road conditions for the state you are calling from can

be obtained by calling 5 1 1.

• Like 2

Awesome mid-spring weather for you folks up there still loving the battle of fire and ice! I haven't been around much in awhile but I've been checking in here and there. I knew my winter was basically a bust in January. I hate that but I'm glad you folks just to my north have had it out since early October. What a winter! Like a train, once it started, it just won't stop. :)

Hat tip to Tom on calling out the "Year Without a Summer". The temp and climate profiles I'm looking at are a perfect walkup to what Tom has saw. I think it's an NE US heatwave year with a few continental and pnw originated air masses. Precip is arbitrary but I think it holds serve where it is into the summer with a slight retrogression west and SW as spring fades and summer starts.

Down here, we have had 2 summers, 2 autumns, 2 winters and I wonder if we can do second spring and no summer.

It's going to be hard to describe the weather (seasonally) here from 2017-present without telling a long story. Lol.

Easiest thing to say....."Well, the drought's over...Thank the Lord." Thank Him indeed.

• Like 4

The rain has been very light so far.  It took the bright colors on radar just to get light rain to the ground.  I'm ready for humidity and thunderstorms.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

00z Euro...trending towards a SD winner...CentralNeb riding the edge...all this snow is going to certainly aggravate Spring flooding.

On the warm side of the storm, hoping to score some boomers here on Thursday and places just to my east.  Models have been developing a decent line of storms across IL/IN/MI Thu into Fri.

• Like 2

00z Euro...trending towards a SD winner...CentralNeb riding the edge...all this snow is going to certainly aggravate Spring flooding.

On the warm side of the storm, hoping to score some boomers here on Thursday and places just to my east.  Models have been developing a decent line of storms across IL/IN/MI Thu into Fri.

At least according to this map I am in the purple to pink.  Many models I am right on the edge as you said.  Will be interesting to see what the 12Z models do today.  They are talking thunderstorms with possible large hail this afternoon.  Will hope that is after school so we can get home and put our vehicles in the garage.  Already starting to see closings for Thursday.  Myself and the students will be anxiously waiting to see what our supt. does tomorrow about school.

• Like 1