July 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

3 more days coming too. That is a given now.

So that will be a full week here with virtually no sun. After a cloudy last half of June overall.

Its worth noting... even if its been a sunny year. Bad timing during the middle of summer.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Jesse, it's raining in the swamp.

Argggh!

Sun tan fading fast....going going gone.

I think this coming winter I am going to root for warm anomalies and lots of 50 degree rain while you pine away for some cold and snow.

That is sure to piss the Snowizzard off too.

Fun times!

I'd rather have lots of 50 degree rain than the dumpster fire of a winter that was 76-77. 

To be honest, when we talk about bad PNW winters, I'm surprised that 1976-77 never comes up. Worst snow year in recorded history at Timberline Lodge, and I imagine most of the Cascades weren't much different. Driest winter in Portland history too, and I can only imagine how often the dry east winds blew that year.

80-81 was utter garbage too, but at the very least it had nearly 10" of rainfall in December.

With the way the forecast is going there may be only 4 80+ high temps for all of 2019 by July 15th here in Tacoma. its atleast 9 by this time every year for the previous 5 years. 2018(10) 2017(9) 2016(13) 2015(21) 2014(11) 2013(9). Definitely a change of pace from the previous 5 years.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Tim starting to slip....

Yep... been pretty much cloudy on 13 out of the last 18 days here with several more days to come.   

That simply sucks for the middle of the summer... even in North Bend.   Regardless of what the rest of this year was like or what other years were like.    No way to feel good about it.   Heading east for the next 2 days... that will help.  

Can't change the weather... but you can go in search of better weather when it starts to become depressing.   I tend to get depressed when its dark for a week in the middle of summer.    Human nature.    And again... if I lived from Portland southward my opinion on the last 3 weeks would be very different and in agreement with the people down there.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Jesse, it's raining in the swamp.

Argggh!

Sun tan fading fast....going going gone.

I think this coming winter I am going to root for warm anomalies and lots of 50 degree rain while you pine away for some cold and snow.

That is sure to piss the Snowizzard off too.

Fun times!

Come to Southern California. It averages upper 60s in the dead of winter, but we can have occasional November days above 90 and above 80 some days from December-February if we get Santa Ana Winds.

Yep... been pretty much cloudy on 13 out of the last 18 days here with several more days to come.

That simply sucks for the middle of the summer... even in North Bend. Regardless of what the rest of this year was like or what other years were like. No way to feel good about it. Heading east for the next 2 days... that will help.

Can't change the weather... but you can go in search of better weather when it starts to become depressing. I tend to get depressed when its dark for a week in the middle of summer. Human nature. And again... if I lived from Portland southward my opinion on the last 3 weeks would be very different and in agreement with the people down there.

You mean "Tim nature".

Also, we have had daylight everyday this summer here, noone has had darkness 24/7!

You mean "Tim nature".

Also, we have had daylight everyday this summer here, noone has had darkness 24/7!

Whatever Chris.   

I'd rather have lots of 50 degree rain than the dumpster fire of a winter that was 76-77. 

To be honest, when we talk about bad PNW winters, I'm surprised that 1976-77 never comes up. Worst snow year in recorded history at Timberline Lodge, and I imagine most of the Cascades weren't much different. Driest winter in Portland history too, and I can only imagine how often the dry east winds blew that year.

80-81 was utter garbage too, but at the very least it had nearly 10" of rainfall in December.

Well I'm going to be on here beating a constant drum like Jesse all winter long praying and begging for no cold and snow.  Just 50 degrees and drizzle or rain.   You know, so we can have lots of green trees.  You can count on it.

The Wizard will probably need to be medicated after we are through with winter.

Right now this summer is on track to average slightly warmer than normal at the coldest, with a June that was 2-3 degrees above average regionally and following a much sunnier and drier than normal spring. You’d think we were enduring a 1954 redux or something...

Oh wow....slightly warmer but gray and gloomy.

Yeah.  You have problems dude.

Give me three months of sun and fun please.

I could care less about trees.

No one wants rain and gloom ALL summer. At least I don’t. It would just be nice to avoid record breaking heat and drought like we have had for many summers in a row now...and to get enough rain from time to time to keep things green. You are just doing the straw man/hyperbole thing you always get on Phil’s case for.

Brown can be pretty too. That is why we are called the golden state.

I'm going to beat the warm rain drum all winter.

Mark my words.

Doesn't matter what Jesse likes or what we want... nature can just be a b*tch sometimes.   

Doesn't matter what Jesse likes or what we want... nature can just be a b*tch sometimes.   

To be honest the weather hasn't been terrible.  Maybe I try to just focus on the positives but it has been perfect for getting stuff done outside and dragging kids around to do things.  It has been cool but perfect for any sort of exercise outside.  I get that it is not the best for water activities but even then the air is a little more humid and bearable once you step outside of the water and the sun is not glaring off the water.  Cold wind and rain is what really makes those things more difficult.  I don't mind a reprieve from the recent hot summers.

• Like 1

To be honest the weather hasn't been terrible. Maybe I try to just focus on the positives but it has been perfect for getting stuff done outside and dragging kids around to do things. It has been cool but perfect for any sort of exercise outside. I get that it is not the best for water activities but even then the air is a little more humid and bearable once you step outside of the water and the sun is not glaring off the water. Cold wind and rain is what really makes those things more difficult. I don't mind a reprieve from the recent hot summers.

Its been quite a bit better in Seattle.

I don't really care if its cool... as long as there is a decent amount of sun. Dark skies for days on end in the summer just feels wrong. It has been decent enough near the Sound though.

Yeah. You have problems dude.

Sounds like you are the one with problems. I can root for whatever weather I want, and what I’m rooting for really isn’t that unreasonable. A summer that isn’t record hot and dry for once. And me rooting for it makes no difference in what the weather does, just like if you decide to try to be really annoying this winter and root for warmth it won’t change anything. It will just be an eyesore on the forum. Luckily the ignore feature exists.

Also, it hasn’t been that gloomy down here. I could care less what it is doing in Puyallup.

Sounds like you are the one with problems. I can root for whatever weather I want, and what I’m rooting for really isn’t that unreasonable. A summer that isn’t record hot and dry for once. And me rooting for it makes no different in what the weather does, just like if you decide to try to be really annoying this winter. The ignore feature exists for a reason.

Also, it hasn’t been that gloomy down here. I could care less what it is doing in Puyallup.

Could NOT care less. ;)

And what you are saying makes sense. I would have no complaints about your weather.

I'm going to beat the warm rain drum all winter.

Mark my words.

I'm rooting for a kind of winter that does both pineapple expresses and snows. I remember the first winter I experienced here every 2 weeks or so the snow levels went up to 8000 feet, had decent rain events and still managed to be one of the best winters in the mountains '10-'11.

But Spring 2011 was a tad on the chilly side. I don't want another one of those next year.

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 19
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 5/4, 5/5, 5/6, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Yeah. You have problems dude.

Facts are a b*tch.

Nice and comfortable 58F in the S Valley. Pretty stars out.  Jupiter so bright too.  Can see the 4 main moons with binoculars tonight.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Mostly cloudy to the NW but partly cloudy to the SE.  Nice, cool morning. 57F.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Currently 60 degrees as of 9am with a low of 57 this morning. Picked up 0.01” of rain last night to bring our monthly total up to 0.11” for the month. With the chance of rain coming next week, there’s a decent chance that this July will outperform June in terms of rainfall.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0