July 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Yeah, moving to that microclimate was a pretty bonehead move considering how much you let sun availability rule your life.

No... it became that way because of living here. And this is unusually bad for here.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

00z GFS is an improvement over the 12 and 18. If it thunderstorms on July 14th I won’t mind the chilliness. Who knows though, models have been variable.

Warmth showing up at D10 and getting pushed back has been a theme now. I wouldn’t count on this being any different. Especially since the tropical forcing structure seems to become even more favorable for troughing starting in late July.

62F in downtown Springfield. Stayed in the clouds all day. Was very pleasant.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

I think the truth about how much Tim has evolved and "learned to accept that which he has no control" since the early 2010s is now evident.

There was a debate on this?

Personal Stats:

Venmo

I think the truth about how much Tim has evolved and "learned to accept that which he has no control" since the early 2010s is now evident.

I guess that only holds true as long as it’s way warmer and drier than average all the time.

If it’s this bad in here now with an average summer, I can’t imagine what it will be like when the real deal hits (strong niña/-PDO). Because it’s coming..probably only a few years away now.

• Like 1

If it’s this bad in here now with an average summer, I can’t imagine what it will be like when the real deal hits (strong niña/-PDO). Because it’s coming..probably only a few years away now.

Average high for the month now is 74.1°F at PDX - 4°F below normal so far. Several days on the GFS are set to fail to break 70, and most days are underperforming.

Today’s high was 68°F - 11°F below normal.

All I want at this point is average summer weather, but it seems like we won’t be getting much of that this month.

Average high for the month now is 74.1°F at PDX - 4°F below normal so far. Several days on the GFS are set to fail to break 70, and most days are underperforming.

Today’s high was 68°F - 11°F below normal.

All I want at this point is average summer weather, but it seems like we won’t be getting much of that this month.

PDX is at +0.2*F for the month, after a +2.1*F June.

Now you throw a b*tchfit because the first 6 days of July have averaged 74*F highs instead of 78*F?

Oh, the horror!!!

You heat misers are used to sitting under giant ridges 24/7 every summer and expecting things to trend warm every time.

The first week of July 2019 randomly bucks that trend and everyone falls apart as if it’ll bring on the bubonic plague or something.

• Like 2

You heat misers are used to sitting under giant ridges 24/7 every summer and expecting things to trend warm every time.

The first week of July 2019 randomly bucks that trend and everyone falls apart as if it’ll bring on the bubonic plague or something.

I’m a heat miser for wanting average summer weather (which is supposed to be warm, by the way) and sun. Okay then.

I don’t even want heat. Lol.

Yet you can keep complaining about your summer weather here, which doesn’t even pertain to us because you live on the other side of the country. Yet I never say anything about it.

There are a few people complaining now. And there are a few different people that complain when things are too hot. You included.

It was pretty clear he would struggle when the inevitable return to climate normalcy hit. The absurdity of the last few years probably will only serve to amplify that struggle.

Me?

Its not normal to be this cloudy and dark here in the summer this consistently.   Not even 2010 or 2011.   The upcoming pattern change to SW flow will not be great... but it will level the playing field to some degree.   That is not a 'locked-in' marine layer pattern in my area like we have seen this past week.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

It was pretty clear he would struggle when the inevitable return to climate normalcy hit. The absurdity of the last few years probably will only serve to amplify that struggle.

Yep.

Could be classified as a perfect storm to upset his sensibilities.

A forum for the end of the world.

Me?

Its not normal to be this cloudy and dark here in the summer this consistently. Not even 2010 or 2011. The upcoming pattern change to SW flow will not be great... but it will level the playing field to some degree. That is not a 'locked-in' marine layer pattern in my area like we have seen this past week.

With all due respect, you fled your home today because it was too cloudy. Maybe you’re just difficult to satisfy?

• Like 1

Yep.

Could be classified as a perfect storm to upset his sensibilities.

It does not matter what past years were like... its been unusually dark here. You don't just get used to that in the middle of summer and expect it.

With all due respect, you fled your home today because it was too cloudy. Maybe you’re just difficult to satisfy?

Really? Wanting to see a little sun in July is being unreasonable? :rolleyes:

Luckily its easy to find it reliably within a short distance of here in the summer.

We are going to Palm Springs in November and Hawaii again for 2 weeks in December.    Pretty normal for people in northern climates to search out sun in the winter too.     ;)

Just because you dislike warmth and sunshine doesn’t mean everyone else has to.

July is naturally supposed to be warm and sunny, because, as you might know, it’s summer, but this one hasn’t been so far and doesn’t look to be anytime soon.

There are a few people complaining now. And there are a few different people that complain when things are too hot. You included.

I see a difference between complaining about one record hot summer after another vs a relatively average first week of July.

I see a difference between complaining about one record hot summer after another vs a relatively average first week of July.

Good Lord.

I don't like darkness for days on end in the middle of the summer.  Not many people do.  It happens here at times... but usually not this persistently.   I am not saying anyone else should dislike this weather or this pattern and I understand their point of view.   I understand your point view.   

Scrolling through the 00Z ECMWF surface maps... its pretty clear that the upcoming pattern will not be a situation where the marine layer locks in out here despite still being troughy.      It might actually be less persistent out here than other areas.

Scrolling through the 00Z ECMWF surface maps... its pretty clear that the upcoming pattern will not be a situation where the marine layer locks in out here despite still being troughy.      It might actually be less persistent out here than other areas.

If the forecast actually verifies (as in, not underperforming) and we get some decent thunderstorms, I wouldn’t mind the upcoming pattern at all.

Good Lord.

I don't like darkness for days on end in the middle of the summer. Not many people do. It happens here at times... but usually not this persistently. I am not saying anyone else should dislike this weather or this pattern and I understand their point of view. I understand your point view.

Day time has not been dark for anyone, #hyperbole....

It’s been real dark and gray in the swamp. The next 7-10 days looks the same with rain sprinkled in here and there.

Some of us can’t run to Pal Springs or Hawaii to get sun.

Head to Chelan... well worth it even for just a day.

I guess some people require a deep trough and a perpetual ULL spinning over us endlessly for summer to be nice.   Seems about as reasonable as wanting a huge ridge to park over us all summer.    At the very least... some variety and alternating ridges and troughs would be welcome.

gfs_z500a_us_2.png

58 and cloudy here at 8:30am. Overall the first week of July has been a cool one. No 80+ days in sight still and rain on the way in the next couple days. Yesterday was a 69/59 day.

• Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Beautiful mostly sunny morning here at Winter Hill. 

Looking at the GFS it looks like most of the rain will stay north of us over the next couple weeks. Should be cool with some drizzle at times. About perfect. 

Went to Waldport on the Oregon Coast yesterday. Was sunny with calm winds. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

I guess some people require a deep trough and a perpetual ULL spinning over us endlessly for summer to be nice.   Seems about as reasonable as wanting a huge ridge to park over us all summer.   

Stoking the flames, Tim. What was all that about understanding point views?

Been awhile since I’ve seen the ensembles look like this heading into the middle of July.

398D9F83-1AA0-47DB-AD40-D4596E5E94C6.png

Usually the mean never touches average, but it’s on the other side.

Really really hope this continues thru Dec-Jan this time. So fukkin overdue for a regional bomb in one of those months.

• Like 2

Personal Stats:

Venmo