September 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Requiem

Precip was pretty much normal here over the summer... Meaning...Not much, but not completely dry. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

My wife has a big work event on Thursday that is partially outdoors so I have been tracking it closely.   It looked really wet for several runs in a row... now it looks basically dry on the last couple runs including the new 12Z ECMWF.

ecmwf-conus-precip-3hr-inch-9542400.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

My wife has a big work event on Thursday that is partially outdoors so I have been tracking it closely. It looked really wet for several runs in a row... now it looks basically dry on the last couple runs including the new 12Z ECMWF.

ecmwf-nw-precip-3hr-inch-9531600.png

We have some friends having an outdoor wedding on November 16th.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Probably when the original owners cleared this portion of the property to build it changed how the water went. I’m sure glad everyone knows my property better than I do! Sorry big guy, we are not dying of dehydration up here...even though you wish we were so you can continue your everything is dying agenda.

There’s no new water supply there..just the stripping of nutrients/organic material from the soil via erosion following the lot clearing/loss of vegetation. Which decreases water uptake by the soil, hence your ponding of water there. Which renders those trees depleted of nutrients, timed perfectly to the recent hot/dry summers.

Clearing a lot will accelerate erosion, which is what you’re seeing in that picture. It won’t change/reverse the direction of runoff. Or cause ponding that wasn’t already happening beneath the underbrush.

• Like 1

Technically true for JJA.

But from June 18th - August 31st... it rained more frequently than normal in many areas of the PNW. That is the majority of the summer. And yet it was also warmer than normal... thanks to the high humidity.

In the spirit of long range forecasting and based on my experience personally... Phil did a good job and provided a good guide to this summer. Its not the same as a forecast contest.

You can't simply ignore 17 days in June from the stats, that is all.

Tim has fantasies where our climate is like that of Baja and Jesse dreams of the PNW turning into SE Alaska.

• Like 2

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

To be fair, this is not what you were saying before.

I accidentally typed a double negative on the last sentence but what I said is exactly what I originally said. Not sure why it is so confusing. Just making the statement that more trees die from too much rain than drought around here and concerns that climate change is going to create more drought is not what most local studies show. They show more heavy rain and warmer weather for the northwest and also the nw is to going to be affected less than most other parts of the world. So in reality if we are very concerned about climate change and tree die off we should be more concerned about more rain and warmer weather. Although I do see trees dying from the recent hot and dry summers but I think that is a short term issue overall outside of possible a few trees.

Not disputing your regional analysis.

But July and August were wetter than normal in the Seattle area and out here.

It normally rains on 13 days total in the Snoqualmie Valley in July and August combined. This year... it rained on 24 days in July and August. The rain was much more frequent than normal up here in July and August. And it felt like it was raining more often than normal... because it was. We never had to water at all the entire summer for the first time in 15 years.

So I am giving Phil credit based on my experience. You don't have to... that is fine.

It certainly seemed like there was a "much better moisture transport" this summer as he predicted.

Dude, Jared would rather castrate himself than give me credit for a seasonal forecast.

• Like 3

You can't simply ignore 17 days in June from the stats, that is all.

Spirit of the long range forecast. Not judging by stats for JJA. You can certainly do that if you want. I treat this differently than a forecast contest.

And I would be the first to call out a completely wrong forecast.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Tim has fantasies where our climate is like that of Baja and Jesse dreams of the PNW turning into SE Alaska.

Nah... I stay in the bounds of normal for my area. We are free to move if we don't like it. :)

Most places, most the rain fell on a handful of days. And again, that's disregarding what was a very dry June for much of the area...that's one third of the summer.

Overall, a very average summer in the precip department historically. That's what the stats say.

One of the muggiest ever stat wise. I think this summer was similar to what summers will more likely be like in the future.

Spirit of the long range forecast. Not judging by stats for JJA. You can certainly do that if you want. I treat this differently than a forecast contest.

And I would be the first to call out a completely wrong forecast.

With this logic stats shouldn't be observed at all then, for anything.

The 12z ensemble bascially doubles the duration of the really chilly stuff as compared to earlier runs.  Also...the blob is rapidly breaking up and will get decimated by the coming pattern change.  Everything is falling into place nicely!

post-222-0-91502300-1569177463_thumb.png

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

That’s some Purdy blocking across the arctic.

No way this is not a good sign given the context of this year.  

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

This is getting silly.

The original forecast I made (back in March) for PNW precipitation spanned the entire “warm season”. It was not confined to J/J/A and those arbitrary cutoff dates. You cannot cherry-pick time intervals of a *seasonal forecast* down to the day/hour like that. I would never place such absurd cutoff dates on a seasonal forecast.

If you believe you can do that, you’re a moron. Plain and simple.

• Like 1

I accidentally typed a double negative on the last sentence but what I said is exactly what I originally said. Not sure why it is so confusing. Just making the statement that more trees die from too much rain than drought around here and concerns that climate change is going to create more drought is not what most local studies show. They show more heavy rain and warmer weather for the northwest and also the nw is to going to be affected less than most other parts of the world. So in reality if we are very concerned about climate change and tree die off we should be more concerned about more rain and warmer weather. Although I do see trees dying from the recent hot and dry summers but I think that is a short term issue overall outside of possible a few trees.

You keep making all of these claims, but they are wrong. And repeating them over and over again won’t make them right. This whole post just comes off a bunch of poorly written bullshi**ing to be frank.

The 12z ensemble bascially doubles the duration of the really chilly stuff as compared to earlier runs. Also...the blob is rapidly breaking up and will get decimated by the coming pattern change. Everything is falling into place nicely!

Will that high pressure sitting offshore not just likely relocate the blob further to the west.

This is getting silly.

The original forecast I made (back in March) for PNW precipitation spanned the entire “warm season”. It was not confined to J/J/A and those arbitrary cut-off dates. You cannot cherry-pick time intervals of a *seasonal forecast* down to the day/hour like that.

If you believe otherwise, you’re a moron. Plain and simple.

There is only 4 seasons, I don't recall "warm" being the name of any of them, just saying...

Much less amplified and cold EURO run in general.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Real precip totals observed and documented do for an accurate timeframe.

There is more to the story. Just like some days are darker than other days.

On a broad scale... and based on personal experience... I think Phil made a good call in the spirit of long range forecasting.

You keep making all of these claims, but they are wrong. And repeating them over and over again won’t make them right. This whole post just comes off a bunch of bullshi**ing to be frank.

only doing so because it seemed that you are confused. I am not trying to start a fight and am interested on hearing other people’s thoughts (probably on another thread). I was just playing devils advocate a little yesterday after I had noticed a lot of trees down the last few weeks along the trails that I typically run along and it made me think about that. It’s not all hard facts some are just thoughts based off of the articles I have read from local climatologists.

Really nice run in my opinion. Not much rain at all... and more sun.

Meh, I'd prefer colder to sunnier, but you do you.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

This is getting silly.

The original forecast I made (back in March) for PNW precipitation spanned the entire “warm season”. It was not confined to J/J/A and those arbitrary cutoff dates. You cannot cherry-pick time intervals of a *seasonal forecast* down to the day/hour like that. I would never place such absurd cutoff dates on a seasonal forecast.

If you believe you can do that, you’re a moron. Plain and simple.

This gets repeated ad-nauseam yet the message never seems to get through. Seasonal forecasts cannot possibly have sharp time intervals, because the methods used to predict on such timescales do not allow for such precision. It’s impossible.

Please remember this. A “summer prediction” I make will never arbitrarily cut off a June 1st or September 1st.

• Like 2

I wear shorts all through winter, our cold isn't that cold.

Usually that is.  You would have looked pretty foolish in Jan 1950 or Jan 1930 or even Dec 2008 for instance.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9