April 2014 in the PNW

stuffradio

Don't know, don't really care right now. There certainly hasn't been anything extreme thus far, though.

That's the thing. If this month averages really warm (at least down here) it will be thanks to persistently mild weather, more so than any notable extremes. At least that's how it appears right now.

Although today's runs definitely have a cooler look in the mid-long range, so who knows.

I was loving the east winds and low DPs associated with the warm weather today. Felt more like a warm October day.

The east wind actually held temps down out here. Only hit a high of 66. DPs have been in the upper 20s most of the afternoon.

It was gorgeous on Lake Sammamish today... water is a little too cold for wakeboarding but it felt like summer cruising around.   :)    My daughter really wanted to go swimming but that will be a few more weeks.

1959262_622876311113914_6689794103351968

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Great weekend down in Klamath. 

Went up to Crater Lake yesterday. The snow depth at the visitors center is 53" which is 46% of normal. They have only had 219" of snow since October 1st which is about 50% of normal. Precip has been a little better, about 80% of normal. 

It was about 50 degrees when I was up there about 1pm yesterday. 

Looking around K-Falls, it is definitely a town that has seen better days, but there are some nice areas. Housing prices are dirt cheap by PNW standards. I saw a really nice 3 bd 2 bath home in one of the nicer neighborhoods up in the hills with a killer view of Mt. Shasta listed at only 169K. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

The thing about SEA is that the warm bias was on/off and was much more noticeable in the fall than ever before. Their temps during the cold spell in December were just ridiculous.

Yup...It was just plain irritating that happened during a major cold wave.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Stunning day out. Visibility is the best I have seen in a while. Also the strongest east winds out here since early March.

Currently crystal clear and 64 after a low of 39.

We ended up with a 69-35 spread here.  Pretty respectable.

The mostly dry cold front slated to swing through late tomorrow and tomorrow night is actually quite impressive.  850s will drop from +8 tonight down to about -2 or -3 tomorrow night.  The kind of classic April see saw that I enjoy.  We normally get our best spring weather in regimes like this.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Don't think anyone has posted this yet:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/anderson/computer-model-outlook-into-second-week-of-may/25564055

Keep in mind the short-term outlooks are generally a lot more reliable than the long long range ones. Less room for interpretation (red crayon) when it's only a week or two out. :)

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/anderson/computer-model-outlook-into-second-week-of-may/25564055

Keep in mind the short-term outlooks are generally a lot more reliable than the long long range ones. Less room for interpretation (red crayon)  [effect] when it's only a week or two out. :)

.. Just for general amusement here. It looks as if he's using an older "Mac" application's, main "paint" element. And within it the main "spray paint" feature.

———http://www.proxigee.com/crayon_in-a-can-t.jpg

• Like 2
---

GFS and the WRF have gotten downright wet from tomorrow afternoon through Thursday evening.

Makes me think the GFS is wrong about a decent weekend... the ECMWF and Canadian are wetter.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I have been viewing the eclipse here in Socal as it has been mostly clear with some thin high clouds moving through. The color of the moon is an orange-red somewhat like having thick smoke from a brush fire obscuring the moon, but with the right bottom side being brighter than the rest. Totality began at 12:06 a.m. and I will go back out to look again when it emerges from totality.

Edit: Now (1 a.m.) that the moon is getting closer to emerging once again, the brighter portion is now on the bottom and bottom-left side as opposed to the bottom right.

PDO comes out .97 for March. Highest March # since 2005.

Flatiron quits the team and all hell breaks loose...

Warmest PDO prior to a Niño since the 1982-83 or 1986-87 event, I believe.

Even though Flatiron and I disagreed on some stuff, I still miss him. :wub:

IMG_7618 - Version 3.JPG IMG_7583 - Version 2.JPG IMG_7570.JPG IMG_7477 - Version 2.JPGSpectacular event. Took my camp chair, hot chocolate, camera gear and was serenaded by coyotes as well. Just a great evening all the way around.

Great pics! Clouds screwed it up here.

And...it's snowing again.... [here in Kalamazoo].

hey, What's up "Phil". ? .. (How's the weather "out" where you are. ?)

.. Granted your "location", main side-panel, next to each of your posts submitted, does say Western Maryland. But you have in fact, just reported "snow" falling, within the main general thread for the PNW.

Can you see the problem with this idea. ?

---

Ended up getting a pretty spectacular view of the lunar eclipse last night. At first we could see it from home, then low clouds started to increase. So we hopped in the car and drove about ten miles east on 14 to the Dog Mountain trailhead.

Crystal clear out there and we were able to watch the entire thing through totalitarity. Amazing how just a few miles can make a difference. The wind was strong and chilly out there, though.

Ended up getting a pretty spectacular view of the lunar eclipse last night. At first we could see it from home, then low clouds started to increase. So we hopped in the car and drove about ten miles east on 14 to the Dog Mountain trailhead.

Crystal clear out there and we were able to watch the entire thing through totalitarity. Amazing how just a few miles can make a difference. The wind was strong and chilly out there, though.

Nice. Did you get any pictures? Clouds have ruined the past 3 eclipses for me.

Keep in mind the short-term outlooks are generally a lot more reliable than the long long range ones. Less room for interpretation (red crayon) when it's only a week or two out. :)

The data I get is still colder than Anderson's interpretation, with below average temps along and east of the Cascades by week 3.

• Like 1

I'm excited for the rain to come back. :)

No!!! I work in this crap :(

2013/2014 Winter season

Coldest Low: 14 F December 7th

Coldest High: 27.3 F December 7th

Coldest Wind chill: 5 F December 7th

Lowest Dew Point: -2.2 F December 6th

Days below freezing: 5

Total Snowfall: 11 inches

Most snowfall in a Day: 8 inches

Days With Snow: 3

Today was PDX's first high below 60 in 11 days. Pretty good run for early-mid April.

Hit a high of 60 out here after a low of 46, with more sunbreaks than areas further west.

The next 7-10 days are beginning to look generally cool and unsettled. Should pull monthly temps a little closer to normal after a very mild first half. If April were to end today it would be the 5th warmest on record at PDX.

Endless precipitation here.   Radar looks the exactly same now as it did last night and all day long.   Just never ends.    And it will rain all day tomorrow into Friday morning.    About 72 hours straight of rain here... short break Friday afternoon... and then rains all day Saturday.    And most of next week.    

I can deal with passing showers or systems that move through... but this is just stupid.    Made all the worse by having no clear end to this crap for the next 10 days.    Just small breaks and who knows if those will even work out?

Yes... I know it was much better to the north and the south.   WELL AWARE.  

And the worthless WRF showed it being partly cloudy today as recently as Monday.      Never doubt the ECMWF when its different than the WRF.     Its always better.    

Endless precipitation here.   Radar looks the exactly same now as it did last night and all day long.   Just never ends.    And it will rain all day tomorrow into Friday morning.    About 72 hours straight of rain here... short break Friday afternoon... and then rains all day Saturday.    And most of next week.    

I can deal with passing showers or systems that move through... but this is just stupid.    Made all the worse by having no clear end to this crap for the next 10 days.    Just small breaks and who knows if those will even work out?

Yes... I know it was much better to the north and the south.   WELL AWARE.  

And the worthless WRF showed it being partly cloudy today as recently as Monday.      Never doubt the ECMWF when its different than the WRF.     Its always better.    

Pacific Northwest?  More like Pacific NorthWET!  

Get it?

Minor play on words, making a slight change to the more typical regional classification of "Pacific Northwest" by removing the "s" within the word "west," thus immediately transitioning to the word "wet."  Given the predominance of wet patterns in said region, this then creates an enjoyable pun.  Win over small groups of people in awkward social situations, bowl over that teller at the bank or clerical staff wherever you have your anal bleaching done.  People will get a kick out of it!  

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Pacific Northwest?  More like Pacific NorthWET!  

Get it?

Minor play of words, making a slight change to the more typical regional classification of "Pacific Northwest" by removing the "s" within the word "west," thus immediately transitioning to the word "wet."  Given the predominance of wet patterns in said region, this then creates an enjoyable pun.  Win over small groups of people in awkward social situations, bowl over that teller at the bank or clerical staff wherever you have your anal bleaching done.  People will get a kick out of it!  

There are different types of rain around here... some much more tolerable than others.     This scenario sucks donkey balls for us folks between Centraila and Mt. Vernon.

The radar really wasn't indicative of the weather out this way today, it showed rain all day long, however I did not get very wet at all working.

:lol:

It was a dry rain here as well.    Only 1.08 inches for the day.

.37 at SEA and .75 at Hoquiam.

It was a persistently wet day.

It's called an orographic challenge, most colorfully in my view Tim. And it "ends" at the top of the Cascades, where you are.

People living in the foothills and aware of this effect (normally) except quite a bit of rain. 

Very true.   :)

I can't remember a time this winter when the radar was so incredibly persistent for so long.     This is a little strange... more like November or December.