Pacific Northwest Weather -June 2023

66F and nice out there but warmer than normal for 3AM in the morning in late June. 

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

9 hours ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

At least this 3 year Nina run was better than the one in the late 90s and mid 70s. 

I sure got some pretty good winters out of it. Sort of a pity that wealth was not a bit more widespread, but it's not as if points south got totally skunked. I think most lowland areas west of the Cascades got at least one snowfall of 10" or more in the past three winters.

It's called clown range for a reason.

7 minutes ago, T-Town said:

Fully cloudy here. The Lord doesn’t halfass the clouds in God’s Country. 

Not a cloud in the sky here!  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, ShawniganLake said:

Sunny and 71F here.  Nice start to the day. 

Same exact conditions here... also a little more windy than it usual is on these types of mornings.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

15 hours ago, Phil said:

I’ve been working+going to school for the last 4 years. Last semester this fall then it’s career time.

Going to rest my brain this summer in the meantime, was close to burnout this spring.

That was me at one point. Can definitely empathize.

The thunderstorms I experienced while visiting CO last month were so different than the ones we get here, it was like a new experience altogether.

Almost all of them had hail cores, and were cellular as opposed to quasi-linear. Also they lacked the heavy, pulsing winds & cold pool driven propagation that is typical of storms here.

Also, the storm structures were much more visible/impressive. Usually the storms here are obscured by the shelf cloud and/or low level scud inflow, don’t often get to see the cumulonimbus itself.

The thunderstorms we get here in Tahoe are unlike any others I have seen/heard before in the country. We are in a granite bowl and the thunder booms/echos forever and shakes the house like an airplane sonic boom. Sometimes a single flash of lightning will have thunder that rattles the windows in waves for up to 30 seconds. All other storms I have experienced are either a sharp crack of thunder or just a general low rumble. 90% of our summer thunderstorms feature hail as well. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Same exact conditions here... also a little more windy than it usual is on these types of mornings.

Bit of a breeze here as well.  Feels like the type of day where a SE sea breeze will keep temps in check here this afternoon. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Phil said:

If last winter wasn’t enough of an atrocity to swing the karmic pendulum back, I’m not sure what is.

I moved to this region kind of expecting not every winter to feature snowstorms. At least it was more of a guarantee at my last place (except '14-15!)

I don't know why I never took this last winter off my signature. :P

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 21
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 5/4, 5/5, 5/6, 5/7
5/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Sunny and 74 now with a deep blue sky and clean air.    Unfortunately it seems like the pattern next week might lead to smoke from the fires up in northern BC making it down here.

• Sad 1
  • Sick 1

36 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

maybe El Nino will be dispositioned like La Nina was this year (ie. CA having a record year in a La Nina) and we have a record winter in an El Nino?

The strongest El Niño winters are often wet in the PNW. Weaker Niños do have a dry signal in this region but not the strongest ones.

• Like 2
It's called clown range for a reason.

9 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

12z Euro is a little cooler than yesterday's for the 4th and 5th.

Really?

Below is the 5th.   New 12Z on top and 12Z from yesterday on bottom.   The new 12Z looks warmer to me.

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t2m_f_max6-8601600 (5).png

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t2m_f_max6-8601600 (6).png

• Like 2
  • Shivering 1

And the new 12Z ECMWF is WAY warmer than the 12Z run yesterday for the much discussed Thursday.   We discussed the dramatic cold trends for the 6th in pain-staking detail yesterday.   Meant nothing.   😀

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t2m_f_max6-8688000.png

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t2m_f_max6-8688000 (1).png

• Shivering 1

Good news... we are back on the cooler train by Friday.    Still would prefer a cooler trend earlier in the run and not going in the opposite direction as it gets closer.   Trends in the 7+ day period aren't as meaningful. 

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t2m_f_max6-8774400 (1).png

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t2m_f_max6-8774400 (2).png

• Shivering 1

6 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Good news... we are back on the cooler train by Friday.    Still would prefer a cooler trend earlier in the run and not going in the opposite direction as it gets closer.   Trends in the 7+ day period aren't as meaningful. 

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t2m_f_max6-8774400 (1).png

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t2m_f_max6-8774400 (2).png

I think we're all pretty much resigned to frying at this point. Just gotta roll with the punches, which increasingly are aimed squarely at our balls. 

• Like 1
  • lol 1

Air mass stays warm late in this run but with the ULL meandering around there is a better chance at some convection and temps mostly stay in the 80s on the west side.    Obviously its impossible for the models to nail down precisely where the ULL will be that far out but its better than it showing a massive ridge parked over us.  

ecmwf-deterministic-namer-z500_anom-8990400.png

ecmwf-deterministic-namer-t850_anom_stream-8990400.png

• Shivering 1

40 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Really?

Below is the 5th.   New 12Z on top and 12Z from yesterday on bottom.   The new 12Z looks warmer to me.

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t2m_f_max6-8601600 (5).png

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t2m_f_max6-8601600 (6).png

omg not this again. 

• Like 3
  • Popcorn 1
  • Shivering 1

PWS: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWAPORTA220

2023-2024 Snow Total: 18" (6 events)

3 minutes ago, MossMan said:

IMG_6938.jpeg

Socks on a boat!   Something I can firmly say I have never done.  😀

For us its flip flops getting onto the boat and then barefoot on the boat.  

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Socks on a boat!   Something I can firmly say I have never done.  😀

For us its flip flops getting onto the boat and then barefoot on the boat.  

Those are my jetsking boots! 😀

• Excited 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

12 minutes ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

omg not this again. 

Jared is interestingly missing in action after I showed that the 5th was actually not cooler as he said... and then his favorite day (Thursday) being so much warmer.   😀

And of course his entire point is moot because I point out any meaningful trends... warmer or cooler.   This 12Z run is much cooler in the 7-10 day period than the 12Z run yesterday. 

• scream 1