Pacific Northwest Weather -June 2023

12Z EPS gives a nod to the weak ULL solution on the ECMWF run next weekend... warm air mass but cooler than previous runs.  12Z control run just puts us right back into the furnace though.  

• Excited 1
  • scream 1
  • Shivering 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

26 minutes ago, the_convergence_zone said:

I stepped outside and immediately felt the humidity. I'm sitting at a 61 dew point right now. 😰

That's nothing compared to me, I had DPs very close to 80 earlier this month.

Never say Never with Weather, because anything is possible!

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted

Made it to Long Beach.

Not too bad of a travel except the TSA stole my contact solution and the nearest store that has some that I get to waste money on is 4 miles away.

We are leaving on a cruise tomorrow.

• Like 4

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

82 and sunny.   Still a bit breezier than normal and there have been some puffy clouds this afternoon... assume this is related to the trough that is approaching and will be passing by to the north this weekend through BC.

• Shivering 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

7 hours ago, Phishy Wx said:

SUMMER!!!

Screen Shot 2023-06-30 at 8.46.41 AM.png

Cool nighttime lows though!

6 hours ago, AlTahoe said:

The thunderstorms we get here in Tahoe are unlike any others I have seen/heard before in the country. We are in a granite bowl and the thunder booms/echos forever and shakes the house like an airplane sonic boom. Sometimes a single flash of lightning will have thunder that rattles the windows in waves for up to 30 seconds. All other storms I have experienced are either a sharp crack of thunder or just a general low rumble. 90% of our summer thunderstorms feature hail as well. 

Ahh, ducting. Inject that into my veins. 😍 By far my favorite kind of thunder.

Atmospheric conditions need to be just right to manipulate the acoustics like that. Only happens on backside of thunderstorms here. Have never heard it from an approaching storm except during the winter under an inversion (elevated convection). 

7 hours ago, AlTahoe said:

The thunderstorms we get here in Tahoe are unlike any others I have seen/heard before in the country. We are in a granite bowl and the thunder booms/echos forever and shakes the house like an airplane sonic boom. Sometimes a single flash of lightning will have thunder that rattles the windows in waves for up to 30 seconds. All other storms I have experienced are either a sharp crack of thunder or just a general low rumble. 90% of our summer thunderstorms feature hail as well. 

we get similar here on a smaller scale.  my neighborhood is surrounding by mountains on 3 immediate sides forming somewhat of an amphitheater for sound.  we get it too when planes fly over low and the sound swirls and bounces

23 minutes ago, Eugene-5SW said:

EUG ended June with an average high of 80.5. Confirmed as 4th warmest on record behind 1951, 2015, and 2021.

Insignificant as SEA and OLM were near average if not slightly below. There was an insane megatrough in the middle of the month as well. Also Eugene is not in the PNW, please take all Eugene discussion to CA/SW thread.

• Popcorn 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

Insignificant as SEA and OLM were near average if not slightly below. There was an insane megatrough in the middle of the month as well. Also Eugene is not in the PNW, please take all Eugene discussion to CA/SW thread.

CA/SW was even cooler relative to normal than SEA or OLM. Poor EUG has nowhere to go... 😥

• Excited 1
  • scream 1

2 hours ago, Phishy Wx said:

im sure its no big deal

Glaciers have been receding since the 1800s.   We are still coming out of the LIA.  They will be back again... just not in our lifetime.    The climate optimum for life on the planet does not even include polar ice caps.

• Like 1
  • Sun 1

15 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Yeah, it effectively began on April 28.

That was silly tweet.  Summer is clearly not starting on July 5th this year.   I agree with your date.

59 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Cliff Mass will make a post that shows it is unrelated to climate change.

Its definitely related to climate change... the climate is literally always changing. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

84/58 day here today. Looks like the first day above 90 in the coming heat wave will be 7/3. Last day…to be announced.

Monday looks like upper 80’s to me, Jestrogen.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Why look at the models when you have this!

E48E2EF5-6956-46BD-AE44-F06B340024AF.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excited 1
  • lol 1
  • scream 1
  • Troll 1

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

15 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

With today’s 86 degree high at PDX, the record of 29 80+ max temps prior to 7/1 was TIED, matching the total from 2021. The record will not be broken due to this being a leap year.

I heard summer is finally going to start on 7/5.    Just 5 more days to go!