August 2023 Weather in the PNW

Cascadia_Wx

Frequent flashes now above the marine layer but not hearing any thunder.   I assume the lightning is from the line moving north over the pass right now.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

3 minutes ago, the_convergence_zone said:

Looks like largely a dud for the Seattle area. The HRRR nailed it. 

Atmosphere must’ve gotten “worked over” during the initial band of storms. Models hinted at that yesterday evening but thought it was just model noise. It was cool briefly but have seen much better storms in recent years. 

Was able to fall back to sleep for an hour... didn't miss anything.    Even more disappointing than the weak convection was the lack of rainfall.   Most of the runs recently showed at least .50 out here and some were over an inch.   We got .01  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

11 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Was able to fall back to sleep for an hour... didn't miss anything.    Even more disappointing than the weak convection was the lack of rainfall.   Most of the runs recently showed at least .50 out here and some were over an inch.   We got .01  

We will probably get some straitform rainfall later today. Disappointing though for sure just 0.04” here overnight. Atleast we have several more rain chances coming up too. 

Focus now shifts to the much more stratiform event for Thursday which should be coolest day of the week staying in the low 60s all day.  

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-precip_24hr_inch-3569600.png

• Like 2

Such disappointment. Was by the windows most of the nights hoping to catch one light show but nothing ever happened… just a brief shower that went thru. Ended up just monitoring the radar to see anything pop up but it didn’t seem like there would be anything.

18 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Such disappointment. Was by the windows most of the nights hoping to catch one light show but nothing ever happened… just a brief shower that went thru. Ended up just monitoring the radar to see anything pop up but it didn’t seem like there would be anything.

It’s too bad it didn’t work out like Euro had showed for many days. Still not as much as a bummer as a snow bust.

• Like 1

Unfortunately the smoke did not get kicked out of here which I figured would be the case as smoke is notorious for sticking around much longer than modeled projections. Even more unfortunate is it looks like another round of thicker smoke is supposed to infiltrate the sound over Labor Day weekend☹️

15 minutes ago, Slushy Inch said:

It’s too bad it didn’t work out like Euro had showed for many days. Still not as much as a bummer as a snow bust.

Yah. It really is too bad… we don’t usually get t-storms here so the fact that the euro was insistent on it got me excited for it. Bummer!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Even the 06Z ECMWF showed significant rain happening right now... but in reality its much father east over central WA.

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-precip_3hr_inch-3317600.png

radar 8-29.jpg

At least they really need it. 

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Strong campfire smell came in overnight, and is really bad this morning.  Just some sprinkles, but no thunder or lightning since last night. 

Here is a picture of the S. Lake Whatcom Fire from first light this morning.  Hopefully they can get a handle on that today.

IMG_6470.JPG

• Sad 3
  • Sun 1
  • scream 1

41 minutes ago, Cloud said:

I saw probably 15-20 flashes here…but overall not nearly as good as expected. Atleast we’re getting some rain coming up. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Strong campfire smell came in overnight, and is really bad this morning.  Just some sprinkles, but no thunder or lightning since last night. 

Here is a picture of the S. Lake Whatcom Fire from first light this morning.  Hopefully they can get a handle on that today.

IMG_6470.JPG

Wow... that is this morning?    Fortunately it does not look much bigger than it did last night. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jcmcgaffey said:

Unfortunately the smoke did not get kicked out of here which I figured would be the case as smoke is notorious for sticking around much longer than modeled projections. Even more unfortunate is it looks like another round of thicker smoke is supposed to infiltrate the sound over Labor Day weekend☹️

AQI is back into the good category out here and appears to be slowly falling around Seattle as well.   There will be a decent SW wind this afternoon per the ECMWF which should clear what is left out.    Where do you find a smoke model that goes out through the weekend?

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Important changes in Idalia’s IR presentation over the last 20mins. RI will begin shortly.

IMG_6449.gif

I’m driving to Miami today, flying out tomorrow. Tampa closed at midnight, trapping me here.

PWS: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWAPORTA220

2023-2024 Snow Total: 18" (6 events)

4 hours ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

It is blowing up at my house. Watching on my backyard camera. I’m going to be stuck here for this D**n hurricane. 

I’d gladly swap places with you. Weather is 💤 💤 💤 here just like every September.