February 2024 Weather in the PNW

Just now, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

And the people I talk with are totally opposite of what you said. Different opinions everywhere. 

Just don't believe it.   Natives complain way more because they had no choice in the matter.  This is true everywhere.   Same thing in Minnesota.  The natives who complain less are the people who left and came back because they realized it's actually pretty good.  Transplants made a choice... they are the ones who go out of their way to defend it. 

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

16 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

I think most of those people don't have many hobbies? The rainy days do not keep me from going outside and doing things at all and never have. I've been called a vampire for NOT hating this gloomy weather. Come to find out many people like the damp wet winter days, atleast from my research.  I talk to people all day long and I ask weather questions,  most all natives complain about the hot dry summers and the same people talk about the good old days when we had real winters around here. That's how I can tell a person isn't from these parts is when they say oh I love the hot dry summers! I know they aren't from around here. 

To have weather as a lone hobby would be brutal. No way I could handle that w/ my psyche still intact. :lol: 

Baseball and chess/puzzle games keep me stimulated during dog days of summer when I’m not working or out & about. Except for thunderstorms, there is no weather to speak of from May - Sep. Need something to fill the void.

• Like 1
  • lol 1

6 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

And the people I talk with are totally opposite of what you said. Different opinions 

And the ironic reality is that you are a native who hates it and desperately wants to leave and I am transplant who actually likes it way more than you.   Case in point!

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

30 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Anecdotally.... my experience is that natives complain way more about the weather.    Like waaaaaay more.   I think they have been told all their lives that they live in a horrible climate so its cool to complain about it.      Its really not even close.   Tranplants chose to live there and have lived elsewhere and know the grass is not always greener.  

I have just grown tired of it.  Even the events that work out are so much melodrama it almost isn't worth it anymore for me.  Way too much gloom, which of course translates to hard to get good solid min temps.  Not a day goes by I don't think about living in a different climate.  Just so D**n hard to get out of here.

• Weenie 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

To have weather as a lone hobby would be brutal. No way I could handle that w/ my psyche still intact. :lol: 

Baseball and chess/puzzle games keep me stimulated during dog days of summer when I’m not working or out & about. Except for thunderstorms, there is no weather to speak of from May - Sep. Need something to fill the void.

I agree.  I would go nuts.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just now, Timmy said:

Maybe if you actually looked at the run you would have understood. Decent cold trough, but then the secondary trough digs too far west... Close to greatness. 

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Just now, Cascadia_Wx said:

I read Andrew’s model updates in about the same tone as I read the headlines on the front page of Yahoo.

TMZ

Edited by SilverFallsAndrew
  • Excited 1

18z ECMWF comes back a little bit.  At least the bleeding has stopped.

• Like 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just now, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Maybe if you actually looked at the run you would have understood. Decent cold trough, but then the secondary trough digs too far west... Close to greatness. 

How about just explain it like this and not with cryptic and conflicting comments.  

Like your famous FB posts saying things like terrible day or great day with no other information provided.   😀

• lol 2

38 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Good point. I work at a job where I interact with the public a lot as well, and there seems to be a similar sentiment. And maybe that is one of the factors for me as well. I will never let weather get in the way of doing things outside or pursuing enjoyable hobbies. I think some people just put their lives on hold for the winter and don’t poke their heads out until it’s 65+ and sunny again. I can see how that would be pretty depressing.

Seasonal depression hits me hard, but spending time outdoors and/or socializing is what alleviates it. It’s more beneficial than any antidepressant I’ve ever taken. The way people lock themselves inside like hibernating animals all winter bizarre to me.

By far the season I spend the most time indoors is summer. And even then I’m outside a lot. I need it for my mental health.

• Like 1

Just now, TT-SEA said:

How about just explain it like this and not with cryptic and conflicting comments.  

Like your famous FB posts saying things like terrible day or great day with no other information provided.   😀

Andrew runs on vibes, not sure there’s much deeper thought involved.

• Like 2
  • Popcorn 1

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

That's enough criticizing others for one day man, take a break.  Yes, I know you will say you aren't doing that, but you are, you won't admit it, but you are....

Edited by GHweatherChris
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Just now, TT-SEA said:

Just commenting in real time. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

That's enough criticizing others for one day man, take a break.  Yes, I know you will say you aren't doing that, but you are, you won't admit it, but you are....

😀

Nothing makes me happier than an annoyed Chris.   You are so easy.

16 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I have just grown tired of it.  Even the events that work out are so much melodrama it almost isn't worth it anymore for me.  Way too much gloom, which of course translates to hard to get good solid min temps.  Not a day goes by I don't think about living in a different climate.  Just so D**n hard to get out of here.

You guys are proving my point.   In my experience it's so common for natives to talk about getting out.  It's much less common among people who moved here by choice.   Of course this is just a general observation and there are always exceptions.

32 minutes ago, Phil said:

Do you mean watching baseball or playing baseball?

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

Anecdotally.... my experience is that natives complain way more about the weather.    Like waaaaaay more.   I think they have been told all their lives that they live in a horrible climate so it’s cool to complain about it.      It’s really not even close.   Tranplants chose to live there and have lived elsewhere and know the grass is not always greener.  

90% of winter related complaints here are from natives, but that’s because people from other places are used to much harsher winters (we barely have a winter compared to much of the country).

Summer it’s the opposite, non-natives are the ones doing the complaining (except for people from the Deep South). I’m an anomaly in this regard, since I bitch and moan as belligerently as any of them, haha.

Anecdotal, but for whatever reason I’ve found people from CA are the worst complainers during the summer months. Which seems weird since most of CA gets pretty hot in the summer.

In winter, it’s the Florida people. Always. :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • Spam 1

Just now, TT-SEA said:

Do you mean watching baseball or playing baseball?

Both. I love it so much I played for an independent league until COVID. Don’t really have the time anymore, unfortunately.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

Both. I love it so much I played for an independent league until COVID. Don’t really have the time anymore, unfortunately.

Thank you for helping with the deflection effort. Your check is in the mail. 

• Thanks 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

17 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

You guys are proving my point.   In my experience it's so common for natives to talk about getting out.  It's much less common among people who moved here by choice.   Of course this is just a general observation and there are always exceptions.

Same w/ Montana.  'Natives' often wonder if a 96/97 type of winter would cause all the 'transplants' to leave and/or housing prices to collapse.  But transplants self-select as winter weenies.  My uncle was born here and recently put his house up for sale.  Wants to retire to Arizona.

34 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

You live so close to much better climates, even in-state. I don’t understand why you haven’t left yet.

Just now, Mercurial said:

Same w/ Montana.  'Natives' often wonder if a 96/97 type of winter would cause all the 'transplants' to leave and/or housing prices to collapse.  But transplants self-select as winter weenies.  My uncle is was born here and recently put his house up for sale.  Wants to retire to Arizona.

Yep.   They think they have some birthright to a place and then proceed to complain the most about it.   😀

The GEFS is quite good at the end.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, Slushy Inch said:

Gefs for pain field 12z vs 18z

487175D4-DBA7-4D49-AEB2-5BF5978BDA06.png

83BCB73A-2FB7-43ED-B06A-0C3CAE921145.png

Not sure why it has so many cold members compared to the 12z.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

It should be noted we are really close to a snow situation Wednesday night.  Just need it a tiny bit colder going into it.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

41 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Snohomish Co native here…And I like weather! 

If you love weather, you can’t go a lifetime w/o experiencing at least one bonafide severe thunderstorm. :(

7 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Yep.   They think they have some birthright to a place and then proceed to complain the most about it.   😀

This is a tad ironic, I have to say.

59 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Not sure if it's anything to get excited about, but the GEFS has a lot more cold members over the next week to 10 days than the 12z did.

Well, that’s a better reason to be excited than a lone operational run in a convoluted pattern. It’s something, at least.

• Like 1

Just now, Phil said:

This is a tad ironic, I have to say.

I definitely complained more as well in my younger days.   😀

6 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

It should be noted we are really close to a snow situation Wednesday night.  Just need it a tiny bit colder going into it.

Its uniformly 35-36 degrees with precip on Wednesday night and an east wind per the ECMWF... doesn't get much closer.  Guess there will be some snow at my house.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I definitely complained more as well in my younger days.   😀

November 2006 was an education for me. Never knew someone could be that melodramatic about the weather since growing up at the coast it just wasn’t a thing. Thank god for the Internet!

Edited by Deweydog
  • Like 1
  • lol 4

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

13 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

November 2006 was an education me for. Never knew someone could be that melodramatic about the weather since growing up at the coast it just wasn’t a thing. Thank god for the Internet!

Almost 2 decades ago!   And of course we were really fearing a landslide and had no way out since our road was totally gone.  It was actually the wettest day in Snoqualmie Valley history.  I know now that the landslide threat is not as a great as I feared in our area.   I was envisioning an Oso-like situation before Oso happened.    And of course I was a being a baby too.  😀

• Facepalm 1