April 24-29 Multi Day Central and Southern Plains Severe Weather Outbreak

5 minutes ago, gabel23 said:

What an awesome rain and wow grass is looking good! Hoping things continue to build and make its way to the river. 

After I took this video, an heavier storm has come through. Incredible lightning, torrential rain, and some of the loudest thunder I’ve heard in a while. Looks like it should keep moving NE towards your area. My forecast just keeps it back building well into the night. 

• Like 5
  • Storm 1

6 minutes ago, CentralNebWeather said:

After I took this video, an heavier storm has come through. Incredible lightning, torrential rain, and some of the loudest thunder I’ve heard in a while. Looks like it should keep moving NE towards your area. My forecast just keeps it back building well into the night. 

Rocking and non severe, the perfect combo! 

animated.gif

• Like 3
  • Excited 1

On 4/24/2024 at 2:41 PM, Clinton said:

🤩

image.thumb.png.0abbf0d431589b5aa47a95c4efbecb11.png

11 hours ago, Clinton said:

Light to moderate rain has move in.  12z GFS  and some other models continue to show over 5 inches of rain over my place by Sunday evening. @Hawkeye I agree with Tom and believe you'll do just fine. 

12z GEFS

image.thumb.png.6fa512cb1b2465540f7c2a96a6a72cb9.png

Both these models done a really good job of picking up on the heavy band of rain tonight, almost spot on. Going right through my area, I thought we would get dry slotted tonight! I’m closing on 2 inches!

• Like 4
  • Storm 2

It's worth noting that the rainfall forecasts from the NWS are dictated by WPC, not the local offices. Local offices can make changes to WPC for days 1-3 providing they can get their neighboring offices to agree to changes. 

Additionally, its worth noting that WPC has a chronic high precip bias for amounts over 1" or so. So when you see big rainfall forecasts a few days out, it's probably going to diminish as it gets closer. 

• Like 3

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

For my area we are under the slight for today. We will have an initial round of decaying storms this morning near sunrise, with CAMs showing some supercells popping off in the afternoon. There is little agreement on exactly where or when, other than that it will probably happen near or east of Tulsa. So I don't actually expect a lot of activity here today.

It looks like a better bet of dry line convection on Saturday afternoon, and this happens in a jacked out parameter space. Still a little early to try to guess exactly what this ends up looking like but the ceiling is high and I expect a moderate to come out on tomorrows outlook for Saturday.  Saturday into Sunday either over or just east of me the initially discrete storms merge into a line of heavy rainfall so that is also in the potential mix. 

• Like 3

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

4 hours ago, gabel23 said:

Both these models done a really good job of picking up on the heavy band of rain tonight, almost spot on. Going right through my area, I thought we would get dry slotted tonight! I’m closing on 2 inches!

So far 0,30” here, once again in just an unlucky spot in Southwest Omaha… thankfully this event is far from over.

• Like 3

Another line of thunderstorms moved through overnight adding .65 inches, my storm total now sits at 1.75 in.  More storms are lifting out of NW Oklahoma and SE Kansas and will be here later this morning.  I'm hoping I can continue to get the big rains without getting my house blown down this weekend, an additional 3-4 inches look possible with severe threats the next 3 days.  I believe tonight and Sunday will be my biggest threats for severe weather.

Tab2FileL.png?6fbc35baed0ac7deba482d72b95fc89b

Tab3FileL.png?63ec2c68a8ef449d899950a0a3222d97

• Like 2
  • Storm 1
  • bongocat-test 1

60-70% chance of rain the next couple days.  Some severe cells.
We need the moisture. It’s just been too dry.  
High of 78*. 

• Like 4

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Looks like it's gonna be a fun night.

The Dominator 3 has arrived in Kansas City, MO for #tornado intercept mode with @nelkboys

TORNADO POTENTIAL on Friday afternoon and evening maximizes first in eastern Nebraska into western Iowa ahead of the surface low. Short range models also show long track supercells from eastern Kansas into western Missouri, including near the Kansas City Metro. WATCH that dry line tomorrow. I wouldn’t be surprised if more of central and eastern Oklahoma could get storms.
May be an image of map and text
  • scream 1

Unfortunately, it appears the dry models are going to be correct for us this morning.  An area of rain is trying to lift up into my area, but it is really drying out.  You just can't expect any heavy rain when the freakin dewpoint is in the 30s.  I'm tired of this crap.  To get heavy rain, we need the dewpoint to be in the 60s and 70s.

• Facepalm 2

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

4 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

Unfortunately, it appears the dry models are going to be correct for us this morning.  An area of rain is trying to lift up into my area, but it is really drying out.  You just can't expect any heavy rain when the freakin dewpoint is in the 30s.  I'm tired of this crap.  To get heavy rain, we need the dewpoint to be in the 60s and 70s.

My dewpoint  is 43 and nice moderate rain. And  Im up to .43 rain this am. Unreal  how Ive been the bullseye  for months now.

• Like 2
  • bongocat-test 1

I got 0.08" of rain this morning.  Models were so bad.  Maybe I can get a bit more today.  The Saturday night wave had better deliver.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Facepalm 1

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Large damaging tornado just blasted the far west edges of Omaha which originated near Lincoln, getting rocked by the weaker, southern storm that is tornado warned as well.

This is going to be a day to remember for sure… praying all those affected are safe right now.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Bryan1117 said:

A tornado just touched down at Omaha Eppley Airfield and caused major damage… this is just insane.

There's like 10 active tornado warnings in eastern Nebraska.  Just craziness!

• Like 1
  • Storm 1

4 hours ago, Tom said:

LNK getting rocked…should be heading towards @gabel23??

Nothing here, there was a tornado 15 miles west of me that I tried to catch up too but just missed it. Not a good day for Nebraska; those from Lincoln, Waterloo, Elkorn and then into Iowa saw significant damage. Just a massive prolific supercell that left its mark on the state. I pray for those that were in the path. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bryan1117 said:

A tornado just touched down at Omaha Eppley Airfield and caused major damage… this is just insane.

I don't get KETV from my area so went online and was watching Bill. It touched down during the live broadcast; just a crazy day here in Nebraska. 

• Like 2

Historic day for sure. We had a single supercell storm start off in Central Nebraska early afternoon; it produced a major wedge and from there things went bananas. Omaha saw a huge wedge come up from Lincoln and then had an additional cell pop up and drop a tornado on Eppley Airfield. Both supercells then went into Iowa and are still producing major tornadoes. 

• Like 2

It appears more tornadoes are popping out of several cells south of Des Moines

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, gabel23 said:

Nothing here, there was a tornado 15 miles west of me that I tried to catch up too but just missed it. Not a good day for Nebraska; those from Lincoln, Waterloo, Elkorn and then into Iowa saw significant damage. Just a massive prolific supercell that left its mark on the state. I pray for those that were in the path. 

That twister was just on TV and it looked like a scene from the movie “twister”…such a powerful, yet beautiful part of nature.  So much emotion seeing this on the news.  Very sad to see all the destruction.  There is also the beauty I see in it from afar.  Glad ya’ ll are safe out there.  Still a day or two more to go.

• Like 2

Absolutely crushed it today chasing. Will share more later but here is the Minden IA twin tornadoes before it wedged out.  2nd one was near Lorimor Ia

Unreal day. Sadly saw Destruction in Minburn

PXL_20240426_222600931.jpg

PXL_20240427_005022686.MP.jpg

PXL_20240426_225731422.jpg

• Like 7

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

The HRRR nailed the wave 1 dud for Cedar Rapids, and now it's doing the same thing for wave 2.

image.thumb.png.d7a29ab0e70e2400f1c9c80188b51f76.png

• Facepalm 1