November 2014 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Gary Lezak would be thrilled if this comes even close to fruition!  Lol...this storm track is a classic Texarkana cutter...too bad its 8-9 days away.  I like the trends tho, as this is a similar storm track the Euro ensembles have been hinting at for days.

a repeat in the making from the 2011 groundhogs day blizzard.

a repeat in the making from the 2011 groundhogs day blizzard.

That would be a wonderful way to kick off Thanksgiving week!  Still too many things to iron out this far out but I must say, the way the models are handling this piece of energy this far out are rather intriguing. 

check this out from accuweather fourms

Was just about to post that second one. I had to rub my eyes to make sure I wasn't seeing things!  :lol:

KC would be immobilized if that happened.

That map is getting circulated around AMWX too!

High of only 30° today. I think this November is going to beat out last November in terms of negative departures.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Just check out the placement of the trough on the 12z Euro Ensembles, very similar to the GFS Par, right???  Also, notice the ridge off the east coast hooking all the way towards Hudson bay.  That is a good sign to keep it from cutting to far north and supply the system with cold air.  This is a text book major snowstorm in the making.

• Like 1

Just check out the placement of the trough on the 12z Euro Ensembles, very similar to the GFS Par, right???  Also, notice the ridge off the east coast hooking all the way towards Hudson bay.  That is a good sign to keep it from cutting to far north and supply the system with cold air.  This is a text book major snowstorm in the making.

this is a good sign and it looks like that we are line for a major snowstorm and a potentional blizzard in the making.

• Like 2

Still looks neutrally tilted but i have a feeling this goes negative

this is a good sign and it looks like that we are line for a major snowstorm and a potentional blizzard in the making.

If it does, it will be the first one I would experience in November! It'll be a major headline for sure.

JB really liking that 76-77 winter analog. 

• Like 1

Mercer Island, 350 ft

Watch out, that 18z GFS-Parallel huge snowstorm is composed of erroneous sleet & ice. I don't have the WxBell p-type maps, but fishing around Tropical Tidbits shows the heavy sleet/ice accumulation where the huge snows should be.

Across in KS and northern MO? I figured that was too snowy to be true!

Below...

Good point Tim. Was just thinking of that. There will probably be a lot of low level Arctic air in that region next week.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

Watch out, that 18z GFS-Parallel huge snowstorm is composed of erroneous sleet & ice. I don't have the WxBell p-type maps, but fishing around Tropical Tidbits shows the heavy sleet/ice accumulation where the huge snows should be.

people in the erroneous sleet and ice accumulations needs to have their flaslights candles and generators handy because it looks like they could be without power for days.

Yup, definitely a good sign. The thing is most of the moisture is going to be supplied by the gulf which will bring a lot of warm air as well.  This storm is still in fantasy land, but I'm thinking this is going to be more like a classic Fall storm. Likely a heavy deformation band of frozen precip north of the SLP, but tons of rain to the south. Reminds me of a similar setup last year in December. Could definitely see a significant severe outbreak as well south of the low especially with the wind shear and instability present.

Obviously will change--- but looking at a major event--

24 hour totals--http://models.weatherbell.com/ecmwf/2014111600/mw/ecmwf_snow_24_mw_38.png

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

from DMX AM disco---

THE LATTER PART OF THE FORECAST IS MORE
UNCERTAIN AND WILL NEED SOME ADDITIONAL EVALUATION AS A SIGNAL FOR
A STRONGER STORM IS BECOMING MORE APPARENT.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Yeah

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfsp/2014111612/gfsp_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_33.png

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfsp/2014111612/gfsp_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_34.png

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfsp/2014111612/gfsp_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_35.png