January 2015 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Hey Madtown, can I go with you to NYC? lol... Definitely going to be a historic storm over there.  Blizzard Watch for 12-18 inches and that is probably conservative with over 2 feet possible right for the metro. All of the New England areas get crushed as well with up to a foot well inland. I hope to one day experience a true Nor'easter. The storms they get over there, in terms of magnitude, is very rarely seen over here.

Blizzard Watch for Boston area: Unbelievable!

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TAUNTON HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARDWATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM MONDAY EVENING THROUGH LATETUESDAY NIGHT.* LOCATIONS...EASTERN MASSACHUSETTS AND RHODE ISLAND.* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW...STRONG WINDS AND BLIZZARD  CONDITIONS. CONSIDERABLE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW.* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 18 TO 24 INCHES.* TIMING...THE WORST OF THE STORM WILL BE MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH  TUESDAY AFTERNOON.* IMPACTS...HEAVY SNOW AND STRONG WINDS WILL RESULT IN THE  POTENTIAL FOR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS WITH NEAR ZERO VISIBILITY.  ALONG THE SOUTHEAST NEW ENGLAND COAST...THE SNOW MAY BE WET  ENOUGH TO RESULT IN SOME DOWNED TREE LIMBS AND POWER OUTAGES.  TRAVEL MAY BECOME IMPOSSIBLE AND LIFE THREATENING ACROSS THE  ENTIRE REGION. THIS HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BE A HISTORIC STORM.* WINDS...NORTH 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 60 MPH.* TEMPERATURES...IN THE LOWER 20S.* VISIBILITIES...ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS AT TIMES.

GFS showing absolutely nothing for next weekend. lol

It's amazing to see how "warm" the model has gone for next weekend into the first part of February after a week straight of runs showing sub-zero lows and daytime single digits/teens.  Meanwhile, the GGEM has stayed course.  It will be interesting to see what that model shows today.

I thought I read from someone week or two ago on this board  ( don't remember who) that the East would have little or no more winter.  Good for them but depression for the rest of us on this board.  As bad as last winter was for us in the plains it is even worse this year.  All of a sudden we will blink and February will be over and nothing even remotely interesting on the horizon for storms.  Today winds are howling.  Already talking of fire potential with continued mild to warm weather, low relative humidity, and windy conditions, and we are only in January.  I believe NWS Hastings said we are on a 16 day above normal streak and they see no end in the future. 

Farmers that I know are already a little nervous of this continued dry weather with no precip. in site and the effects that could have on spring planting.  Anyone with good news, please?

• Like 1

Yeah, the GFS keeps the jet stream slamming into British Columbia indefinitely, which won't allow anything more than very brief modest cold shots, with nice warmups in between.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

I was reading the forecast discussion for Boston area and they had the 6-8" storm a day or two ago, they're going to get 1-2 feet and 60 mph winds tomorrow and Tuesday and they mentioned albeit only briefly about another winter storm Thursday/Friday. 3 storms in a week! The number of storms they'll have in a week is about how much snow we've had here all winter(4")

Almost end of January beginning of February almost time for that epic cold big snow storm's that some here said we experience. Can't wait excited after this warm weather that has melted most of the snow pack we received at the beginning of January. Oh wait it's gone not even the big snow storm for superbowl sunday. This winter has sucked some major donkey balls.

• Like 1

I was reading the forecast discussion for Boston area and they had the 6-8" storm a day or two ago, they're going to get 1-2 feet and 60 mph winds tomorrow and Tuesday and they mentioned albeit only briefly about another winter storm Thursday/Friday. 3 storms in a week! The number of storms they'll have in a week is about how much snow we've had here all winter(4")

http://www.weather.gov/images/okx/winter/StormTotalSnowRange.png

Currently sitting around a campfire enjoying a few adult bevarges in the sprinkles with a temp of 39f, as I am tarp camping with my son... In Jan. We have 15f rated gear.. But still. Pics want load.. Too big

That's the only time worth camping! Too buggy otherwise.

That's the only time worth camping! Too buggy otherwise.

I agree- The worst thing was the mud.  1" of mud with frozen ground under that.Who would think mud in the dead of winter. 1" of mud. Pretty much sums up this 'winter'...

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

My dear God.....

BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM MONDAY TO 1 AM ESTWEDNESDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TAUNTON HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARDWARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM MONDAY TO 1 AM ESTWEDNESDAY. THE BLIZZARD WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.* LOCATIONS...EASTERN AND SOUTHEASTERN MASSACHUSETTS AS WELL AS  ALL OF RHODE ISLAND.* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW...STRONG WINDS AND BLIZZARD  CONDITIONS. CONSIDERABLE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW. STRONG TO  DAMAGING WINDS.* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF AROUND 20 TO 30 INCHES...  WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS. SNOWFALL RATES OF 2 TO 4 INCHES AN  HOUR AT TIMES.* TIMING...WHILE THE STORM IS EXPECTED LATE MONDAY LINGERING INTO  EARLY WEDNESDAY...THE WORST OF THE STORM WILL BE MONDAY NIGHT  THROUGH TUESDAY AFTERNOON.* IMPACTS...HEAVY SNOW AND STRONG WINDS WILL RESULT IN WHITE-OUT /  BLIZZARD CONDITIONS WITH NEAR ZERO VISIBILITY. TRAVEL WILL BE  IMPOSSIBLE AND LIFE THREATENING ACROSS THE ENTIRE REGION. ALSO  SNOW MAY BE WET ENOUGH TO RESULT IN DOWNED TREE LIMBS AND POWER  OUTAGES IN ADDITION TO THE WINDS.* WINDS...NORTH-NORTHEAST 30 TO 40 MPH WITH GUSTS AROUND 65 TO 75  MPH. THE HEIGHT OF THE WINDS WILL BE LATE MONDAY NIGHT INTO  TUESDAY. THE STRONGEST WINDS WILL BE ACROSS THE COASTAL AREAS.* VISIBILITIES...ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS AT TIMES.
  • Like 1

My dear God.....

BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM MONDAY TO 1 AM ESTWEDNESDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TAUNTON HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARDWARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM MONDAY TO 1 AM ESTWEDNESDAY. THE BLIZZARD WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.* LOCATIONS...EASTERN AND SOUTHEASTERN MASSACHUSETTS AS WELL AS  ALL OF RHODE ISLAND.* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW...STRONG WINDS AND BLIZZARD  CONDITIONS. CONSIDERABLE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW. STRONG TO  DAMAGING WINDS.* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF AROUND 20 TO 30 INCHES...  WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS. SNOWFALL RATES OF 2 TO 4 INCHES AN  HOUR AT TIMES.* TIMING...WHILE THE STORM IS EXPECTED LATE MONDAY LINGERING INTO  EARLY WEDNESDAY...THE WORST OF THE STORM WILL BE MONDAY NIGHT  THROUGH TUESDAY AFTERNOON.* IMPACTS...HEAVY SNOW AND STRONG WINDS WILL RESULT IN WHITE-OUT /  BLIZZARD CONDITIONS WITH NEAR ZERO VISIBILITY. TRAVEL WILL BE  IMPOSSIBLE AND LIFE THREATENING ACROSS THE ENTIRE REGION. ALSO  SNOW MAY BE WET ENOUGH TO RESULT IN DOWNED TREE LIMBS AND POWER  OUTAGES IN ADDITION TO THE WINDS.* WINDS...NORTH-NORTHEAST 30 TO 40 MPH WITH GUSTS AROUND 65 TO 75  MPH. THE HEIGHT OF THE WINDS WILL BE LATE MONDAY NIGHT INTO  TUESDAY. THE STRONGEST WINDS WILL BE ACROSS THE COASTAL AREAS.* VISIBILITIES...ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS AT TIMES.

And this just continues to add to the depression over here in the Plains.  They will likely get more snow from this one storm than we have seen the past 2 winters combined.  Just salt in the wound at this point.

• Like 1

This winter definitely needs to turn around for most of us.

Regarding the snow drought and lack of moisture overall. A big part of the Midwest is lacking moisture, just look...

Need to start getting into a wetter pattern or else drought it going to spread across the Corn belt and Mississippi and Ohio River Valleys without a problem come March.

• Like 1

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Now the 00z Euro is taking baby steps and ejecting the energy out of the 4 corners quicker than previous runs...looking a little more like the GGEM.  Brings 4-8" for the state of KS thru 156 HR.

Keep dreaming about a big storm.  At this point it's time for warmer weather since this winter has been good for very little.