January 2015 Observations for the Pacific Northwest

Skagit Weather

The new ECMWF isn't terrible by any means. The GFS and Canadian ensembles still look pretty bad though.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

On the positive side...the JMA is showing that we'll be headed back down to neutral territory.  From Joe Bastardi's twitter today:

B8ecAqCIUAMNM0c.png

The CFS has improved dramatically also. Perhaps we will be neutral next winter and maybe even on the cold side of the line, but I'm not convinced yet.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

More depressing news for our freinds down in Cali and Oregon.

This week we have gotten news that more ski resorts are suspending operations due to the unseasonably dry conditions.

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2015/01/more-ski-resorts-close-due-to-lack-of-snow

Pathetic.  No recovey in sight.  One can only hope things change but with the recent and ongoing pattern, it's looking horrible.

.. Main and broader cold air mass, is currently receding daily more northward, and has been since the 18th of January.

This while at the same time and if only more since the 20th or so, slowing its main and more predominately movement and pace east.  @

.. In my estimation, this will "change" on the 31st: .. with more primary cold's from the north, beginning to move and spread daily more southward; this while at the same time where looked at more longitudinally, colder air's looked at more as a whole, being caused to step up its movement and pace more eastward.

---

I'm throwing in the towel on this winter today. I can tell it's over when my frustration and anger give way to a dull sense of depression. When that happens it's usually over.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The last 3 winters in a row have been brutal up here in Victoria for snowfall. 

2012/13 - no snow and no high temps below freezing

2013/14 - 1-2 inches of snowfall and about 5 high temps below freezing (higher elevations got more)

2014/15 - a trace in November and 1 high temp below freezing

Basically 2 out 3 winters with no snowfall.  I have been living here since 1989 and this is the worst 3 year stretch.  Even 1999 - 2002 wasn't as bad as this.

• Like 1

Went on a great bike ride in the sun today to the Ballard Locks.

3 feet of snow would be nice, but I'm enjoying some lemons for now.

I'm enjoying lemonade.

• Like 1

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

I'm throwing in the towel on this winter today. I can tell it's over when my frustration and anger give way to a dull sense of depression. When that happens it's usually over.

Hard to be depressed on such a gorgeous day like this one... and so many others this winter. I will save that for May and June when its gloomy and wet.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2013/14 - 1-2 inches of snowfall and about 5 high temps below freezing (higher elevations got more)

Basically 2 out 3 winters with no snowfall.  I have been living here since 1989 and this is the worst 3 year stretch.  Even 1999 - 2002 wasn't as bad as this.

Too early to sum up this winter. Many significant snowfall events have happened in Feb/Mar, especially up your way.

0z GFS is much further west with cold air sliding south early next week than the runs this morning. At this point, all it means for the PNW is cooler temps and some mountain snow (if it verifies), but still nice to see.

A forum for the end of the world.

I guess I should feel lucky with my whopping 5.3 inches over the past 3 winters then.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

0z also has a pretty juicy system for later next week. Considerably more active than other recent GFS runs.

It's the same old pattern. It goes right back to the default NE Pacific trough.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

.. Note if more incidental here regarding my post, even two, submitted just above.

... No guarantee where looking at the current, certainly somewhat dismal winter that we've been seeing to this point, leastwise. But my response to the idea more, that there is no hope for recovery in sight.

The trough that has dominated the NE Pacific just sits there like a lead ball and forces a ridge right along the West Coast. A tremendously frustrating pattern.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

It's the same old pattern. It goes right back to the default NE Pacific trough.

It's too far out to say how the pattern will evolve, but there are actually some pretty big large scale pattern differences from run to run. In the short term, mid term, and long term.

When we're seeing significant differences within 100 hours, I don't see the point in worrying too much about 200+ hours.

Too early to sum up this winter. Many significant snowfall events have happened in Feb/Mar, especially up your way.

0z GFS is much further west with cold air sliding south early next week than the runs this morning. At this point, all it means for the PNW is cooler temps and some mountain snow (if it verifies), but still nice to see.

Mountain snow is what we need. I'm over waiting for it in the lowlands.

• Like 4

It's too far out to say how the pattern will evolve, but there are actually some pretty big large scale pattern differences from run to run. In the short term, mid term, and long term.

When we're seeing significant differences within 100 hours, I don't see the point in worrying too much about 200+ hours.

February 2015 = All Quiet on the Western Front 

Mountain snow is what we need. I'm over waiting for it in the lowlands.

How about anything other than the ugly pattern we have been in? Anything that involves above normal heights over the GOA would be just fine with me.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

February 2015 = All Quiet on the Western Front

Yeah...I would be shocked if anything worthwhile happens in Feb.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I share your skepticism. This winter has now surpassed last season in terms of major suckage. We are now on par with the dreaded 04-05 season in terms of mountain snowfall. Not sure it can really get worse than this. I suppose we could start growing some big palm trees and call ourselves San Diego. 

Many of my friends who don't ski, or have no interest in weather are asking when winter will start. Sure feels like we have been stuck in late Summer/Fall.

• Like 1

I share your skepticism. This winter has now surpassed last season in terms of major suckage. We are now on par with the dreaded 04-05 season in terms of mountain snowfall. Not sure it can really get worse than this. I suppose we could start growing some big palm trees and call ourselves San Diego. 

Many of my friends who don't ski, or have no interest in weather are asking when winter will start. Sure feels like we have been stuck in late Summer/Fall.

Well...the average low here has been 36.9 so far this month so I don't know about summer, but it has sucked big time. 2005-06 was a better winter than this.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Far worse than 04/05 up here, there must have been a sharp gradient on that one because even the Vancouver Island lowlands saw several feet of snow that January, though the second half of the month was a torch I don't recall the mountains being as bare as they are now.

Another amazing thing about this season is how warm the clear nights have been outside of the ones with the continental air masses in place. 37 degrees here on a clear calm night at 10pm in late January is awful.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

This has been a historically poor stretch for snowfalls in Victoria. Coupled with the fact that the city only got about 6" in the 2011/2012 season we're now running at 4 years with well below average snowfalls.

The trough that has dominated the NE Pacific just sits there like a lead ball and forces a ridge right along the West Coast. A tremendously frustrating pattern.

... According the models. (And it "may".) But basically, I'm not living in that future. As I'm expecting a, or an, if only slightly, different actual circumstance where looking ahead; .. with my feeling that the models haven't picked up what I'm looking at as potentially occurring more specifically, colder air mass movement, even distribution wise, over the next few daysoutlined both above, together with also both within my thread initiated "Approaching Pattern Discussion", and that where I've submitted my main projections more cold air mass focused.

---

Well, the Juneau people were saying winter was over less than a week ago, and they just saw a 6" snowstorm.

There are some subtle changes in the pattern now that open the door for more interesting and potentially active weather in the near future. Right now things don't look great, but the 0z models took a step in the right direction. All it would take is a little bit stronger and better placed high here, and a further south low pressure system there, and things could get interesting.

All I'm saying is, don't get too caught up in how boring this month has been and assume nothing will change.

• Like 1