February 2014 in the PNW

stuffradio

Went from mostly sunny a few hours ago to completely cloudy now here at work...hmmmmm

Yeah... its nothing but dry air though.

Its been mostly cloudy here all day with radar echoes over me and there is absolutely nothing happening nor does it feel like it will actually snow.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Yeah... its nothing but dry air though.

Its been mostly cloudy here all day with radar echoes over me and there is absolutely nothing happening nor does it feel like it will actually snow.

Its quite possible though. My Dad told me it snowed this morning in Maple Valley. Also snowed in Skagit County.

32F here

Dewpoint is 1F

Sunny and cold

2013/2014 Winter season

Coldest Low: 14 F December 7th

Coldest High: 27.3 F December 7th

Coldest Wind chill: 5 F December 7th

Lowest Dew Point: -2.2 F December 6th

Days below freezing: 5

Total Snowfall: 11 inches

Most snowfall in a Day: 8 inches

Days With Snow: 3

Its quite possible though. My Dad told me it snowed this morning in Maple Valley. Also snowed in Skagit County.

A few flakes possible?   Absolutely.

We aren't that desperate are we?    :lol:

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

A few flakes possible? Absolutely.

We aren't that desperate are we? :lol:

I'm

Just looking at the weekend. Hoping the storm gets in a good position so I can see some snow here and it can pull in more cold air and set the stage for another system early next week. Long shot but possible.

2013/2014 Winter season

Coldest Low: 14 F December 7th

Coldest High: 27.3 F December 7th

Coldest Wind chill: 5 F December 7th

Lowest Dew Point: -2.2 F December 6th

Days below freezing: 5

Total Snowfall: 11 inches

Most snowfall in a Day: 8 inches

Days With Snow: 3

I'm

Just looking at the weekend. Hoping the storm gets in a good position so I can see some snow here and it can pull in more cold air and set the stage for another system early next week. Long shot but possible.

It may actually be seeing snow turn to slop isn a few hours... ;)  For some it may be ice we all know how fun that is.  Hopefully It is ends up being better than that though.

A few flakes possible?   Absolutely.

We aren't that desperate are we?    :lol:

Someone mentioned clouds building in, and you said it was nothing but dry air. It's nice to see a few flakes, no matter if it's only for a short while. Just because you think that's being desperate doesn't make a difference.

Someone mentioned clouds building in, and you said it was nothing but dry air. It's nice to see a few flakes, no matter if it's only for a short while. Just because you think that's being desperate doesn't make a difference.

I know Randy was actually thinking that a c-zone situation might be developing in his area... which is very common in these situations.     Just looking at the radar and the satellite (and the sky) I would be thinking the same thing.    I am just giving a report from an area under the clouds and radar echoes all day.   

It may actually be seeing snow turn to slop isn a few hours... ;)  For some it may be ice we all know how fun that is.  Hopefully It is ends up being better than that though.

Were you here for December 1996? Not saying this will be like that but a true over running event here with heavy snow is still fun and does not wash away in a few hrs. And this looks to warm up slowly and not torch.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

Yep, completely agreed. I would think it would tend to negate the "warming" over PDX with -11c to -12c.

Am I the only one here almost ready for spring? This winter has zapped my energy levels big time.

this winter has turned out to be 1981-82 all over again.Larry cosgrove went with this analog back in the fall.81-82 saw the very cold january but then the pattern tottly broke down in febuary very much like what we have seen this winter progessen wise.the Nao was also postive in the means that winter but had the negative epo december and january.81-82 pretty good match for winter of 2013-14
  • Like 1

Were you here for December 1996? Not saying this will be like that but a true over running event here with heavy snow is still fun and does not wash away in a few hrs. And this looks to warm up slowly and not torch.

You are right. I was just a young kid in 1996, but I still remember that event. Seems like our best snows come during over running storms. I hope this coming weekend will give us some heavy snow for a bit before turning to rain. 

The 18z GFS gives most of the Willamette Valley snow (except the Portland area) for Friday. 

No... it does that on Thursday not Friday.   Even better!

Friday is dry.

Saturday looks interesting as usual.

Hmm looks like a convergence zone it trying to form around Kirkland. To early to know for sure but the Southerly and Northerly winds seem to be colliding at that point based on the radar. I have seen this happen before with this type of setup. Worth watching!

• Like 1

Hmm looks like a convergence zone it trying to form around Kirkland. To early to know for sure but the Southerly and Northerly winds seem to be colliding at that point looking at the radar. I have seen this happen before with this type of setup. Worth watching!

There is no southerly wind.    :)

Winds are from the N or E throughout the entire Seattle area.

Maybe no south wind but showers are rotating in from the south heading north with no south wind then.

Definitely a spin.

Everything seems to be virga up here.

18z GFS still shows the system Thursday overnight but I expected this due its poor satellite observations, which is even worse on the 18z compared to 00z. I expect the 00z GFS tonight to not show this. The GFS has now caught up to the ECMWF in moving the moisture in sooner Saturday but it took a couple days.

Just started snowing a little here at my work, but my wife is texting me about how a horrible forecaster I am since it is snowing pretty good down at her work in Lynnwood from what she tells me, and that I am fired from being a "weatherman" since I told her no chance of snow today, and that driving her Acura RSX would be just fine instead of the all wheel drive Acadia. Oops.

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

18z GFS shows all snow for PDX Saturday morning and doesn't switch over to ice until Sunday morning. Then a ice storm from Sunday morning till whenever PDX loses it's east wind. Rod Hill who forecasted 6"+ looks like he might be right. 

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/gfs/18/gfs_namer_111_10m_wnd_precip_l.gif

Just started snowing a little here at my work, but my wife is texting me about how a horrible forecaster I am since it is snowing pretty good down at her work in Lynnwood from what she tells me, and that I am fired from being a "weatherman" since I told her no chance of snow today, and that driving her Acura RSX would be just fine instead of the all wheel drive Acadia. Oops.

Looking at the cams in the Lynnwood area, it looks like my wife is exaggerating a bit. THOUGH it is really starting to come down here at my work right off I-5 on the Snohomish/Skagit line!! 

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I am guessing that she will not need all-wheel drive today!   

To put your mind at ease... here is a live shot from Lynnwood.  :)

http://s12.postimg.org/ref6twdil/405vc03022.jpg

Wow the 18z is great for snow at my location. Probably a few inches Thursday night if it verifies and big event for EUG and SLE.

My friend works in Oregon City and just sent me a pic, there is a solid dusting there. The Silver Falls cam shows a little additional snowcover too.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

18z GFS shows all snow for PDX Saturday morning and doesn't switch over to ice until Sunday morning. Then a ice storm from Sunday morning till whenever PDX loses it's east wind. Rod Hill who forecasted 6"+ looks like he might be right. 

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/gfs/18/gfs_namer_111_10m_wnd_precip_l.gif

Just a word of warning, the 0c line, whether at 2m or at 850mb, does not equate to a complete column of air at or below 32 degrees.  The models are consistent on showing a considerable amount of consistent warm advection associated with the onset of precipitation.  We're just gonna have to wait a couple more days to get a clearer picture of exact precip type.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.