February 2014 in the PNW

stuffradio

Look increasingly like a January 1998 type event could setup for someone, with the arctic boundary being weaker than expected south of Portland.

What happened in January 1998?

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

What happened in January 1998?

Big snowstorm between January 10-12, 1998. Arctic boundary just kind of stalled at the Columbia River for a couple of days and the Portland to Tacoma corridor got a lot of snow from an overrunning low at the tail edge of the arctic air. I had 15" down in the Vancouver area, while 30 miles to the south there was nothing.

This looks to set up further south than that event did, but today's model runs are showing Roseburg to Salem getting a lot of snow potentially as the arctic air boundary stalls out over southern Oregon.

Big snowstorm between January 10-12, 1998. Arctic boundary just kind of stalled at the Columbia River for a couple of days and the Portland to Tacoma corridor got a lot of snow from an overrunning low at the tail edge of the arctic air. I had 15" down in the Vancouver area, while 30 miles to the south there was nothing.

This looks to set up further south than that event did, but today's model runs are showing Roseburg to Salem getting a lot of snow potentially as the arctic air boundary stalls out over southern Oregon.

You are talking about Thursday then?

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Look increasingly like a January 1998 type event could setup for someone, with the arctic boundary being weaker than expected south of Portland.

I was looking that one over earlier.  Big difference down here is the fact the cold air advection is more traditional.  That event was unique in that the Arctic air moved in after the overrunning began.  

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

I'll see a low of 8 or 9 F before it's all set and done. I prefer snow during the day then night am I the only one ?

2013/2014 Winter season

Coldest Low: 14 F December 7th

Coldest High: 27.3 F December 7th

Coldest Wind chill: 5 F December 7th

Lowest Dew Point: -2.2 F December 6th

Days below freezing: 5

Total Snowfall: 11 inches

Most snowfall in a Day: 8 inches

Days With Snow: 3

I was looking that one over earlier.  Big difference down here is the fact the cold air advection is more traditional.  That event was unique in that the Arctic air moved in after the overrunning began.  

It's definitely a colder event this time around. Portland looks to be in about the same position that Seattle was in with that event.

18z GFS Ensembles. Don't let the few very warm members fool you, it skews the mean up. Still lots of members dropping down to -15.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MT8_Portland_Oregon_USA_ens.png

Who care what it shows for this week???

Its already happening.

The screaming message from that image is that it will turn mild and wet very soon here.     :)

It's definitely a colder event this time around. Portland looks to be in about the same position that Seattle was in with that event.

True.  I know it will probably send Jesse over the edge, but I can handle things shifting north 100 miles or so.  

True.  I know it will probably send Jesse over the edge, but I can handle things shifting north 100 miles or so.  

Models tend to underdo precip if anything in these situations, so it could benefit more people.

It was a ways back, but I remember the 1998 storm overachieving quite a bunch in the region. Computer models sucked back then, but they showed a spotty little event for southern WA and didn't show any snow making it too far north of Portland. Tacoma ended up getting 7", so it made it quite a bit further north than anyone was thinking. Those were some steady snow bands.

Models tend to underdo precip if anything in these situations, so it could benefit more people.

It was a ways back, but I remember the 1998 storm overachieving quite a bunch in the region. Computer models sucked back then, but they showed a spotty little event for southern WA and didn't show any snow making it too far north of Portland. Tacoma ended up getting 7", so it made it quite a bit further north than anyone was thinking. Those were some steady snow bands.

I remember the amount of frontogenesis (of course I had no idea that term existed back then) was completely underdone especially early in the event.  That was definitely a unique set up, as is this one.  

Who care what it shows for this week???

Its already happening.

The screaming message from that image is that it will turn mild and wet very soon here. :)

yep, back to typical PNW winter WEATHER... gotta luv our one day of snow out 365.

This will be a good test for the models.  Any guess on which one is first with the correct solution?

I don't think anything correct-ish will get fully established until 24 or so hours out at the earliest. There's just a lot of moving parts with a setup like this, and every small amount of jet suppression can make a difference. HRRR model did the best with the December snow events, so I'd say look for it to be less out to lunch than the NAM/GFS duo.

What's interesting is how fused together the Saturday storm now looks with the Thursday/Friday conglomeration down south. Not nearly as well defined a gap between the two now, with low and mid level moisture advection increasing dramatically through the day on Friday across the region.

I wonder how many times we've seen an Arctic outbreak in the PNW while 500mb heights are sub-520dm over Anchorage.

Teleconnections be damned!  

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?image=data%2Fgfs%2F18%2Fgfs_namer_066_500_vort_ht.gif&model=gfs&area=namer&storm=&cycle=18&param=500_vort_ht&fhr=066&group=Model+Guidance&imageSize=M&scrollx=0&scrolly=0

Well, none of them did particularly well with today's "surprise" moisture.  

This will be a good test for the models.  Any guess on which one is first with the correct solution?

For Winter. GFS at 1 day out. GFS/ECMWF combo at two days out. ECMWF for 3 days out.

http://www.intelligentutility.com/blog/14/01/weather-model-differences-between-gfs-american-and-ecmwf-european?quicktabs_4=1

I'm not sure if this was posted earlier or not, but North Sound looks to do pretty well before the change over

1620552_419330461534874_1890377138_n.jpg

I am thinking Bellingham might do well and hang onto NE flow longer than expected.

I am thinking Bellingham might do well and hang onto NE flow longer than expected.

We look like a good bet to stay snow until midday Sunday at the earliest. Most models have shown us getting around 3-4" prior to that, but they've also dramatically reduced the southerly gradients here so it looks like another gradual warmup like the one we had after the 12/20 event.

I'm not sure if this was posted earlier or not, but North Sound looks to do pretty well before the change over

1620552_419330461534874_1890377138_n.jpg

Shows 3 inches for here which sounds great! That would make two 3"+ events up here this winter which is better than nothing and there is always a chance that we get more snow as the Euro tends to under-forecast precipitation.

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

Hit 35F here today as the sun in the early afternoon around 11 a.m. warmed it up pretty quickly. When the clouds moved back in it dropped back to around freezing. Radar is interesting to look at. In the central to south sound the precipitation is moving in directly opposite directions only about 30 miles apart. Not sure I have seen that before.

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

I kept my doors open all day at my repair shop and it wasn't that bad.

How dare you say that??

Completely offensive!    I am very angry right now.

And be prepared... tomorrow will be sunny but its going to be 3 degrees colder.    Tomorrow is going to be brutal.   :)  

(it WILL be 3 degrees cooler since the GFS MOS has been dead on)