February 4-5th Possible Major Winter Storm

Tom

Any ideas what GFS will be showing???  I'm thinking it starts correcting NW.  Remember, LRC had this storm as a lower lakes cutter.  Gotta believe in the LRC as it has been impeccable this year forecasting systems.

00z GFS does pick up on the LES...

What about ratios? Does those maps pick up on it? Temps hovering upper teens/low 20s for event then prehaps some lake enhancement involved? I still think at least the far NE counties of IL has good shot at 6+ even if GFS verifies.

00z GFS...nice hit KS/MO/C IL...not budging on NW trend.  Baby steps I guess...

Looks like dry air issues around here.

0z NAM

If winds are off the lake it will probably be between 20-25° for this event.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Whenever storms dig deep into the 4 corners region, models have a hard time nailing down the track.  We're not going to get consensus until Sunday night's 00z runs or even Monday 12z runs.

Edit:  SW originating systems are always interesting to track because you have many variables involved...

Yeah, sad to admit but the NAM is an outlier at the point. Every other model is weaker and south. This has tons of potential with the baraclinic zone, the moisture transport could be more optimal with a negatively tilted trough. The only thing that is keeping me from giving up is that the NAM had 2 runs in a row of that and the WRF looks like a major hit for ORD too.

mslp_75.png

Agree, 4km NAM looked favorable up to the end if its period, however, i think given the larger grid size of the GFS and Euro, they have a better idea of the energy the vorts can get outside the NAM grid since there's more that comes into play. It's anyone's call really, but until the GFS, Euro, or GGEM bring it back north, I don't think i'll favor the NAM quite yet.

D**n, WRF brings 1.5" qpf in N IL and some more...I like the nice comma shaped signature.  Severe storms out ahead of it wrapped back into cold sector.  That's the type of system this can become.  We are going back to the pattern we saw in December and there weren't any east coast storms in a -PNA/+NAO pattern.

Gonna need another full day of models. Seeing the NAM run a similar solution back to back is great...seeing almost every other model run a much different solution back to back isn't letting this super optimist believe in the NAM.

...The Artist Formerly Known as RJSnowLover...

This storm reminds me of the Cut Off storm in Cycle 2 of the LRC that dug deep into 4 Corner's/N Mexico that hit the Plains/Midwest/Lower Lakes back in December.  It produced snow all the way up this way even though it was rather weak and tracked through S IL/S IN. 

This storm reminds me of the Cut Off storm in Cycle 2 of the LRC that dug deep into 4 Corner's/N Mexico that hit the Plains/Midwest/Lower Lakes back in December.  It produced snow all the way up this way even though it was rather weak and tracked through S IL/S IN. 

Looks like you're giving up on this one. Come on man lol. If the NAM holds serve it will be interesting to see which model wins out.