November 2015 in the Pacific Northwest

MikeInEverett

Turkey, stuffing, snow, temps below freezing, football, not having to travel anywhere for work next week...sounds perfect!!! The forum is going to be quite busy!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

The Euro has 850's of -13 for SEA and -11 for PDX for Thanksgiving morning.

Sounds sort of like 2010.    Our pipe to the outside water faucet broke on the morning of Thanksgiving in 2010.   Tough day of cooking without water!   We actually used melted snow.  :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Sounds sort of like 2010.    Our pipe to the outside water faucet broke on the morning of Thanksgiving in 2010.   Tough day of cooking without water!   We actually used melted snow.   :)

I think 2010 was the year we got screwed up here, where you all down there got lots of snow and we were left high and dry.

I think 2010 was the year we got screwed up here, where you all down there got lots of snow and we were left high and dry.

Pretty much.

Bellingham lucked out and got 4" on the 19th, but most Northern areas totally missed out with the big storm on the 22nd that practically shut down Seattle. I'm sure you got several inches with the overrunning event on Thanksgiving day though, but that was short lived.

11/22/10 is still the most impressive combination of cold, snow, and wind I've ever seen. 3 days without power on Bainbridge with legitimate blizzard conditions. It was amazing.

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

Pretty much.

Bellingham lucked out and got 4" on the 19th, but most Northern areas totally missed out with the big storm on the 22nd that practically shut down Seattle. I'm sure you got several inches with the overrunning event on Thanksgiving day though, but that was short lived.

11/22/10 is still the most impressive combination of cold, snow, and wind I've ever seen. 3 days without power on Bainbridge with legitimate blizzard conditions. It was amazing.

And you just jinxed the whole thing of facebook!    :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Pretty much.

We saw 11.5" on the night of the 19th here. Outflow enhancement really got cranking that night if I remember correctly. There were some impressive snowfall rates. Ended up with 15.5" for the entire event.

And you just jinxed the whole thing of facebook!     :)

Everybody knows the jinx is softened when you start with "still a lot of time for things to change .  . ."  :P

That D**n Canadian!! Always trying to mess with our hopes... Someone had mentioned how it lead the way in previous years. I do remover this numerous times. It takes about 2 or 3 days and models Started to cave and follow it. I hope this is not the case (again)

Sometimes the Canadian is the only model offering hope!   

ECMWF ensemble mean is pretty good... but everything is shifted east of the operational run.

http://old.ecmwf.int/products/forecasts/d/getchart/catalog/products/forecasts/medium/eps/ensm/essential!Geopotential%20at%20500hPa!North%20America!192!pop!od!enfo!plot_ensm_essential!2015111812!!chart.gif

Yes. We are a northern area though. Same latitude as Bellingham.

Yeah my comment about Northern areas missing out was in reference to the storm on the 22nd which basically hit from about Chehalis to Mt. Vernon.

ECMWF ensemble mean is pretty good... but everything is shifted east of the operational run.

http://old.ecmwf.int/products/forecasts/d/getchart/catalog/products/forecasts/medium/eps/ensm/essential!Geopotential%20at%20500hPa!North%20America!192!pop!od!enfo!plot_ensm_essential!2015111812!!chart.gif

Yeah, they were fairly good, but the trough doesn't dig quite as far offshore/southwest over us as the Operational did, so not quite as cold with 850mb mean temp showing around -7c PDX, and also far more progressive with the pattern moving the block east sooner. It still looks chilly to cold through day 8-9. 850mb temps stay fairly chilly through day 10 Gorge east, so a Cold Pool over the Columbia Basin would persist and that could as well keep a cold east wind going. That's certainly possible. My main concern IF this busts is the trough sliding southeastward across WA/southern BC into MT/ID and we never see much cold air. I hate to even type this, but I'm realistic. Even when we see all of these really cold runs/ensembles they don't mean much until we're 3-4 days out. Onto 00z!!!

You can't be this stupid. I was obviously describing the specific GFS run in discussion at the time, not making a forecast. Go back and read the f**king discussion, then explain how you could possibly interpret that post any other way.

Of course, you knew that all along. You thrive on conflict, you're great at taking posts out of context, and you're constantly putting words in peoples' mouths. I'm not in the mood to put up with your backhanded bulls**t.

Ok. It wasn't obvious to me and probably some others that you were only talking about the outcome of that run, as you often make statements like that not pertaining to a specific fun. I believe you.

Take a step back...

A forum for the end of the world.

Ok. It wasn't obvious to me and probably some others that you were only talking about the outcome of that run, as you often make statements like that not pertaining to a specific fun. I believe you.

Take a step back...

I honestly totally understood what Phil was saying in the first place.

• Like 1

Cool. He still had no right to go Mt. St. Helens on me. Mods be busy, I suppose...

I apologize for my overreaction, but that conversation was very straightforward. You're a smart guy with a strong grasp of the English language, so it makes no sense to me that you could take that post so blatantly out of context.

18z may be a tad colder than the 12z. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

18z GFS Ensembles - Portland
The 18z? Yeah, I know, but the Ensembles can be useful and utilized. Speaking of, the trend the GFS has been showing continues. Coldest Ensembles yet. Mean temp down to -13c. I also am noticing the cluster of members -10c to -15c are starting to narrow meaning less spread and improved agreement converging on a cold solution. We don't see the mean temp reach 0c until December 1st. Depending on surface flow assuming we have cold east wind blowing we may not moderate until December begins. That is speculating on such fine details beyond day 10 though. 500mb anomaly looks pretty darn good. Omega block holds through day 9-10 trough remains carved out over us only moving a little to the east. You gotta love this cold trend! Let's keep it going with 00z tonight and see the ECMWF trend this way!