November 2015 in the Pacific Northwest

MikeInEverett

58 mph gust at Everett.

Still doesn't seem too strong here in Mountlake Terrace, but hard to say for sure from my classroom.

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

A tree fell on a bus in Shoreline. Driver was hurt but doesn't sound like it was serious.

NWS Seattle (@NWSSeattle) _ Twitter.html

Interesting little feature racing SE toward Everett/Granite Falls.

Likely some very gusty winds in that thing.

Probably the front edge of the Westerly surge.

WUNIDS_map.gif

Winds should be peaking about now in Seattle... models show a dramatic drop off around Seattle by 4 or 5 as the west wind component through the Strait takes over.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

The actual cold front appears to be visible on the coastal radar and looks like its crossing Seattle right now.     Its not as clear on the Seattle radar but you can extrapolate the front's position using the coastal radar.  

Upon passage of the cold front... the winds will drop off quickly in Seattle.

Looks like there will be absolutely no wind here at all.   We are totally protected from the west winds.   Very strange because normally we would be pounded with the SW winds.   Maybe there was too much southerly component for this area out here.   Dead calm almost all day.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

NOAA CPC just updated and it sure looks chilly.  It's been a long time since I have seen the 8-14 day outlook hazards outlook temps tab have much below temps risk at over 60% (at least a couple years).  They just updated a little bit ago after changing it this morning.  Haven't looked at any of the models so not sure what they saw in the models between last night and today that made them update again to add the increased risk of much below temps.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/

NOAA CPC just updated and it sure looks chilly.  It's been a long time since I have seen the 8-14 day outlook hazards outlook temps tab have much below temps risk at over 60% (at least a couple years).  They just updated a little bit ago after changing it this morning.  Haven't looked at any of the models so not sure what they saw in the models between last night and today that made them update again to add the increased risk of much below temps.

Looks pretty.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/610temp.new.gif

Just had one of the hardest rain squalls come through here that I have seen in many years. Well, we can not complain about the pattern not being active thus far this year. Now bring on the cold and hopefully snow.  Last year on November 30th I had a low of 14 degrees... I wonder if I can break that?

The problem now is that today was pretty hard on mountain snowpack... and now it looks much drier for the next 10 days.    There will be some mountain snow but not enough to open all of the ski resorts.    Sounds like last year.    

And dry... and possibly snowless here in lowland nation

The problem now is that today was pretty hard on mountain snowpack... and now it looks much drier for the next 10 days.    There will be some mountain snow but not enough to open all of the ski resorts.    Sounds like last year.    

Maybe a little like last year but this year is much more active. I think we will see them opening up before T-day... Looks like enough rain and cooler temps for some of them to open. We shall see.

Maybe a little like last year but this year is much more active. I think we will see them opening up before T-day... Looks like enough rain and cooler temps for some of them to open. We shall see.

Not Snoqualmie.   They were pounded with rain and wind today and now there is only a little c-zone snow shown for there early next week.   Just not enough.   They a couple more days like yesterday with ton of precip and easterly flow.   But today pretty much erased yesterday so they are back to square one with no major storms in sight now.  

and most years.  ski resorts usually hope to open by thanksgiving, how often do they i wonder?  40% of the time would be my guess, at least for Hood for higher resorts.  It's still early, there is a lot of winter left.

and most years.  ski resorts usually hope to open by thanksgiving, how often do they i wonder?  40% of the time would be my guess, at least for Hood for higher resorts.  It's still early, there is a lot of winter left.

Would have been nice to give them an early holiday weekend boost after the last couple years.

Would have been nice to give them an early holiday weekend boost after the last couple years.

for sure.  Unfortunate as well that this is the biggest rain/wind storm since i have lived up here, and it is not as fun as it was before I was a homeowner, thats for sure.

Snow pack at the low elevation resorts did take a beating today. Luckily the warmth is over and the temp is now dropping. Temp dropped from 37 degrees to 32 degrees in the past hour at Mt Baker Ski area.

I just hope this doesn't become the theme for the winter. One of the most annoying aspects of last season was that we would get some mountain snow, than we would get copious amounts of warm rain followed by dry weather.

Plenty of time left, and thankfully this season is off to a better start than last season.