December 2015 in the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

Looks like more of an occlusion, which was essentially what made 12-30-03 such a benign looking overperformer. Unfortunately it's the amount of dry advection leading up to it I'm more skeptical about. Xanax por favor!

Like I said last night, it really doesn't take a ton this time of year to make things interesting. 

• Like 2

Like I said last night, it really doesn't take a ton this time of year to make things interesting.

No, but it's still consequential even if you're eyeing a pretty small scale event. For instance if you can't get dew points into the 20's it's a tough game to win regardless of the sun angle.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Well today was my lucky day. Off topic but i own a automotive repair shop and today one of the lifts to raise the cars broke a cable! i moved out of the way just in time. been here 24 years and this is a first. Scary... :mellow:

Glad you are still with us!  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Well today was my lucky day. Off topic but i own a automotive repair shop and today one of the lifts to raise the cars broke a cable! i moved out of the way just in time. been here 24 years and this is a first. Scary... :mellow:

Wow! That'll leave you a little shaky.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

• Like 4

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

I thought some people might like this.  One of the best maps I've seen for lowland snowfall in Western WA.  The ECMWF obviously likes the idea of an overrunning snow event around day 9.  Some of this falls a couple of days earlier also.

post-222-0-37840100-1450489437_thumb.png

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Totally amazing and there's a lot more to come.  This Nino has been good to us so far.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

So I got totally amped for winter weather today... I just started a second job...at the place I left 3yrs ago where I had worked for 7yrs. Worked as a full time landscaper at a senior community. Well I was part of the snow removal process during all the snowstorms from 2006 to 2013. Well I am back as very part time since I already have a full time job. Anyway I spend the day getting all the equipment ready for snow removal (which was severely neglected over the last 3yrs) got the chains and plow on the front of the mid deck mower, and the sweeper unit on the big enclosed cab mower. Can't wait!! This was 2008!

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I thought some people might like this. One of the best maps I've seen for lowland snowfall in Western WA. The ECMWF obviously likes the idea of an overrunning snow event around day 9. Some of this falls a couple of days earlier also.

That map shows 2 to 4 inches for the puget sound area? I pray that this verifies

Guest Winterdog
snow_wizard, on 18 Dec 2015 - 5:44 PM, said:

I thought some people might like this.  One of the best maps I've seen for lowland snowfall in Western WA.  The ECMWF obviously likes the idea of an overrunning snow event around day 9.  Some of this falls a couple of days earlier also.

That looks good.  It shows me getting 6"+.  Too bad it's out at day 9 and not just around the corner.  Is that a Weatherbell map?

That map shows 2 to 4 inches for the puget sound area? I pray that this verifies

East Puget Sound lowlands is more like 6 to 8.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

That looks good.  It shows me getting 6"+.  Too bad it's out at day 9 and not just around the corner.  Is that a Weatherbell map?

yes...some of the snow falls a couple of days before that.  Most is in the 7 to 9.5 day period.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Already back down into the 30s this evening.  Nice to see temps below 40 much of the time the past several days.

It's worth mentioning the CFS has had a number of runs showing notable cold in the NW in Janaury.  A number of runs have indicated a nationwide freeze while many others have showed the cold focused in the NW (shocking I know).  An emerging theme is for anomalous warmth developing over Northern Canada with much colder anoms over the US.  Interesting trend.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

If only we could get that lucky.  It's been so long.  People would be buried in Seabeck.  Tahuya looks like it would see about 18".

It can happen man. Been a minute since we had a good upslope event. But it can drop 2 feet or more over here in the canal with that type off pattern.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

It can happen man. Been a minute since we had a good upslope event. But it can drop 2 feet or more over here in the canal with that type off pattern.

It will be interesting to see my first winter weather at our new house.  I used to live at 375' in East Brem.  Now I live basically at zero on the water. 

Ground is still covered with snow here at my house.   

Here too.  The snow that fell yesterday was like cement, 5:1 ratios and we had a light freeze here overnight before the south wind kicked in.  Getting a few mixed showers here this evening at 36F.  There was some light wet snow falling above about 1000ft on my drive home. 

Here too.  The snow that fell yesterday was like cement, 5:1 ratios and we had a light freeze here overnight before the south wind kicked in.  Getting a few mixed showers here this evening at 36F.  There was some light wet snow falling above about 1000ft on my drive home. 

That's pretty encouraging considering it will be colder next week.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Looking back at other strong Ninos at my location... December of 1972 and January of 1973 were insane.

Massive arctic blast with 8 inches of snow in early December... then very heavy rain for days on end around Christmas... then another arctic blast with 9 inches of snow in early January.

It did not go above freezing here from the evening of 12/3/72 until 12/14/72.     That is crazy.   That entire progression of snow and cold and then flooding rain and then back to snow and cold was all during a strong Nino.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Looking back at other strong Ninos at my location... December of 1972 and January of 1973 were insane.

Massive arctic blast with 8 inches of snow in early December... then very heavy rain for days on end around Christmas... then another arctic blast with 9 inches of snow in early January.

It did not go above freezing here from the evening of 12/3/72 until 12/14/72.     That is crazy.   That entire progression of snow and cold and then flooding rain and then back to snow and cold was all during a strong Nino.

That was a good one alright.  Goes to show it's possible.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The Scripps model is looking really good for next late summer/autumn leading into winter.

attachicon.giffcst_made_2015-12_for_2016-09.jpg

Strong Nino to strong Nina transitions are often good for an Arctic blast the following winter.  A couple of great examples are 1942-43 and 1998-99.  If you consider the 1986 and 1987 Nino a major one then you could add 1988-89.  Going further back into the 19th century similar examples can be found.  In particular the winter of 1892-93 which featured perhaps the strongest Arctic blast ever recorded in Western WA.  One of these days I have to do a post about that one.  A truly amazing winter for these parts!

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Wowzers...

attachicon.gifimage.png

Thankfully the color is rapidly fading in the NW.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Already back down into the 30s this evening.  Nice to see temps below 40 much of the time the past several days.

It's worth mentioning the CFS has had a number of runs showing notable cold in the NW in Janaury.  A number of runs have indicated a nationwide freeze while many others have showed the cold focused in the NW (shocking I know).  An emerging theme is for anomalous warmth developing over Northern Canada with much colder anoms over the US.  Interesting trend.

I haven't given up on the January 1-10 period. Would like to see more poleward momentum transport during the next AAM cycle.

That was a good one alright.  Goes to show it's possible.

My location also had multiple snow events in December of 1997 and January of 1998 with some very heavy rain events in between.   Almost constant storms for 6 weeks.   Again during a very strong Nino.   And then you have the insanity of 1965-66.

It seems that  this active pattern craziness should have been expected this year.    Not surprising at all.