12/26 - 12/29 Potential Wintry & Wet Winter Storm

Tom

If there were even seasonable cold air to work with, there would have been a HUGE area of foot+ amounts of snow with this.

Still fun to watch everything turn white with the sleet and wind though.

As long as the ground stays white...I'm happy with the outcome!

Hrrr shows one hour that we switch to sleet but switches right back to snow and has 13-14 in amounts from mke to up here and still snowing

This is finally your storm!  Been way to long, right?

I'm having a lot of fun with this storm. I don't think I have ever seen it sleet so hard for such a long duration before. I tried walking my dog and neither of us lasted very long because ice pellets hurt! lol

Same here...hope we don't change over to rain and keep this sleet going for a longer time.

• Like 1

Exactly. Also, if you lock in based solely on modeling, your best bet is to throw out the outlier. I called the Euro an outlier 3 days ago. He's a professional. He should have had the wherewithal to do the same.

Along with every other NWS office in the region that stuck with the Euro along with the WPC.

Just for model comparison and for tracking future dynamic storms...latest 12z Euro finally caught up on the track which the GFS had all along and has SLP tracking up through STL, Quincy, IL and through Chicago.  Surprisingly, the GFS had this track over the last 2 days and goes to show that the Euro was not the King for this storm.

• Like 1

Just for model comparison and for tracking future dynamic storms...latest 12z Euro finally caught up on the track which the GFS had all along and has SLP tracking up through STL, Quincy, IL and through Chicago.  Surprisingly, the GFS had this track over the last 2 days and goes to show that the Euro was not the King for this storm.

Wouldn't be surprised if it goes near Springfield, it's heading more NE across Missouri.

Now it's mainly snow - big flakes again. 12:30pm and it's struggling to flip to sleet totally. Holy cow - was almost a whiteout for about 15 seconds.

Hanging onto the snow returns barely.

• Like 1

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

I'm not ready to say that. GFS was better within 2 days but the EURO was better in the long range.

Wouldn't be surprised if it goes near Springfield, it's heading more NE across Missouri.

Now it's mainly snow - big flakes again. 12:30pm and it's struggling to flip to sleet totally. Holy cow - was almost a whiteout for about 15 seconds.

Mt. Geo's in full effect...

I'm not ready to say that. GFS was better within 2 days but the EURO was better in the long range.

True, anything past 5 days I think the Euro does better, however, within 2 days the GFS had a better handle.

• Like 1

HRRR seems to have relatively good handle on the system

Yeah it does. RPM is actually doing well right now for the local area.

Looks like the low wants to go into central IL more than west central.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

GFS did do quite well with this one. Hope January fulfills everyone's snow weenie desires. Definitely seems like there will be opportunities if this stormy pattern can lock in with the upcoming cold pattern.

Intellicast radar shows heavy snow returns over your area. True?

Mercer Island, 350 ft