January 2016 in the PNW

crf450ish

Wow!

You can already see a steady stream on the radar coming into the East Puget Sound lowlands. Interestingly the outflow doesn't seem to be killing it. It appears the SW quadrant of the ULL is where the big action is. Some of the models have missed the role the ULL is playing in this.

You might see some action today!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Huge improvment on the GFS ensemble for late this week.  Also...the 4 run CFS composite is strongly supporting the GFS on its latest solution.  It was not showing that yesterday.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

This in my opinion was the worst performance I've ever seen from the WRF. If we were to believe the WRF based on runs yesterday especially the 12z/00z 4km soundings none of us would have seen snow. Just an atrocious job of handling the depth of the cold air, always playing catch up with the offshore gradients, and timing of precip was way off.

This in my opinion was the worst performance I've ever seen from the WRF. If we were to believe the WRF based on runs yesterday especially the 12z/00z 4km soundings none of us would have seen snow. Just an atrocious job of handling the depth of the cold air, always playing catch up with the offshore gradients, and timing of precip was way off.

Agree, I usually count on those soundings quite a bit but both the 12z and 00z runs from yesterday were way off. The operational models did a relatively better job, interesting.

Good to see PDX area getting some snow. Although, not seeing very many pictures so hard to live vicariously through you guys.

As some others have mentioned, precip does not seem to be falling apart on it's way North like some models showed. Would be nice to have a semi-surprise, over-achieving event for everyone. Haven't had one of those for a while.

Yes, I could be as wrong as the WRF with thinking Puget Sound wouldn't see anything today.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

The ECMWF does look promising for the Seattle this evening.  850s stay below zero until late night.  Total precip is quite impressive.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Good to see PDX area getting some snow. Although, not seeing very many pictures so hard to live vicariously through you guys.

As some others have mentioned, precip does not seem to be falling apart on it's way North like some models showed. Would be nice to have a semi-surprise, over-achieving event for everyone. Haven't had one of those for a while.

This is going to be an over-achieving event. ECMWF has got this figured out as usual.

Precip on ECMWF was not shown to reach Seattle area until this evening. We are even ahead of that and then it gets real interesting later.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

The ECMWF does look promising for the Seattle this evening.  850s stay below zero until late night.  Total precip is quite impressive.

I'd love for you guys up north to get involved in the action too. It would be quite something if this turned into a fairly region wide event given that just 48 hours ago no one thought this would amount to anything more than a few flurries and light ZR. 

• Like 1

Being just south of Everett, I wonder how much snow I see, if any.

It's encouraging seeing all the overachieving going on so far with the northward trend of precip. Also nice seeing darkening clouds building just to my south! Hopefully we will see something!

Amazing analogs from the 12z run.

3 from the late Dec and Jan 1968-69

1 from early Jan 1979

1 from Jan 1963

1 from the Jan 1998 cold snap

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

But we have the gorge!!! Muhahahaha

We get cold outflow here also.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Dusting here, nice to see flakes in the air after a dry week. I really hope Seattle sees snow today. Maybe my criteria of regionally snowy month in PNW will be met on the third day of the month. It requires an accumulation of snow on pavement in four out of five PNW downtowns, them being Seattle, Tacoma, Olympia, Portland and Salem.

Light snow has started here.  Even the ECMWF didn't have anything this early.

• Like 4

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just went outside to get more firewood. Solid glaze of ice on top of everything now. The next precip band setting up between Albany and Salem right now. Just msg'd my friend in Salem to check on precip type there. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

PDX NWS has had a busy day of playing catching up. Just upped the snowfall amounts for PDX metro to 2-4" now.

This one had lots of potential written all over even a couple days ago but was poo pooed by many on here. Canadian and ECMWF are clear winners once again.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

The ECMWF isn't quite as good as the GFS late this week, but it's pretty darn close.  Definitely chilly and blocking in a decent place.  Looking like big potential for the 6 to 10 day period right now.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Like MossMan said, we pretty much have for tonight and tomorrow. HRRR shows most of the precip fizzling. Maybe enough for some light accumulations if it can fight the dry air but it wont be much of anything. However, like he said, next weekend might be more interesting. But sadly I'll be gone.

ECMWF is waaaaaay wetter tonight. HRRR is just plain wrong.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Don't think I have ever seen this much frost accumulation! Pretty cool! And with the ground so cold, anything that does fall will instantly stick. Currently 30 degrees.

image.jpeg

1" of snow depth officially reported at PDX.

About an 1.5" here in the West Hills and 24º with some decent drifts beginning to form around the yard.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history