2-17 Lower Lakes Winter Storm

Money

RAP for ORD has around .60+ qpf....could see 8"+ out of this by tomorrow.  That would be awesome to hear some thunder rumbling out there tomorrow and especially bc this is a day time snow storm.  There gonna be some nice fatty flakes flying tomorrow!

RAP for ORD has around .60+ qpf....could see 8"+ out of this by tomorrow.  That would be awesome to hear some thunder rumbling out there tomorrow and especially bc this is a day time snow storm.  There gonna be some nice fatty flakes flying tomorrow!

Yeah I say 6-8 inches for new LOT disco coming up for warnings areas.

Up to 5-7" here,WSW, possible thundersnow and gusts up to 25. Would be interesting to see all that in a 6 hour window! 

DVN also mentions Thursday night could be a winter storm for a period...

Dubuque 2007-2008 Winter

78.1"  Total snowfall

February Snowfall 32.5"

City salt usage  : 12,211 tons

Days of measurable snow  : 40

This storm is starting to fill in nicely and some very heavy snow already being reported in Aurora with 1/4 mile visibility with the 1st small initial band making its way through the area.  The storm will begin to deepen and rapidly intensify around Noon today and start going neg tilt and that's when I expect to see the radar just blossom.  If you like meteorology, this is the type of snowstorm that just makes you smile!

• Like 1

one of the sillier snow maps I think I have seen

What the...

It is easy to hear the wind today from inside the building. Saw some snownadoes in the open fields this morning.

12z RAP

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Looking at the visible satellite imagery, you can see the bubbly cloud tops out in W IL/E IA indicating vertical upward motion where the best forcing and lift is currently.  When the SLP tracks into IL it will start phasing and taking on neg tilt...I expect the radar to explode around 11:00am or so.

Looking at the visible satellite imagery, you can see the bubbly cloud tops out in W IL/E IA indicating vertical upward motion where the best forcing and lift is currently.  When the SLP tracks into IL it will start phasing and taking on neg tilt...I expect the radar to explode around 11:00am or so.

It already is impressive. Look at that slug moving in from C IL. Should hit us around 10:30-11am.

Maybe some lake enhancement thrown into it towards last few hrs.

SE winds today, plus there is too much ice on the lake now. I think the lake is shut down until next season.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Reading some exerpts from Americanwx forums is quite amusing especially from this guy ALEK. I usually don't want to talk about anyone as everyone has their own opinion but he is always low balling and looking only at model runs instead of looking at the complete picture. Now I am no Met and don't know much but 2.8 will not happen from this system...I just don't get it.