2-17 Lower Lakes Winter Storm

Money

Reading some exerpts from Americanwx forums is quite amusing especially from this guy ALEK. I usually don't want to talk about anyone as everyone has their own opinion but he is always low balling and looking only at model runs instead of looking at the complete picture. Now I am no Met and don't know much but 2.8 will not happen from this system...I just don't get it.

Eh don't blame him/her I see it can be quite annoying but then you have the weenies who always try to be to high and find every little thing even though it does not make meteorological sense.

WOW if this actually does happen. I don't believe I have ever seen 3" hr rates!!

LOT:

PRIMARY IMPACT...SNOW WILL FALL HEAVILY...WITH SNOWFALL RATES
POSSIBLY REACHING TWO TO THREE INCHES PER HOUR FOR A
TIME...ESPECIALLY EARLY THIS AFTERNOON.
THIS WILL CAUSE SNOW
COVERED ROADS WITH NEAR ZERO VISIBILITY AT TIMES...MAKING TRAVEL
VERY HAZARDOUS ACROSS THE REGION.

Snow has just picked out recently. I just woke up, expected there to be some good snow already but we don't have all that much. Nice rate right now, and some heavy snow is going to move through eventually, but there is no way we can pick up 5-7" like the NWS says.

A lot more shots in the future. NAM gives you a nice storm for Thursday and there could be another one a few days later. Very active pattern. 

Normally when a system goes neg tilt we see more moisture get thrown back north and west of the SLP and that will add to the duration of the event.  We will have to see how this evolves over the next few hours.  Looking at water vapor imagery, the storm is starting to show more enhanced cloud tops meaning better phasing is occurring as we speak.  The storm is getting stronger as the day progresses.

First wave of snow on radar not making it to the ground here in Racine.

I was just thinking with these winds, the flakes might shatter and ratios may not be as good.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Had some nice fat flakes with the band that passed earlier...2nd band just redeveloped out of nowhere just south of ORD.  These are the kind of storms bands just intensify out of nowhere esp when they are intensifying.  Should be interesting to see the radar over the next couple hours.

I might have bad eyes (hence my glasses), but does it look a little darker outside to anyone else than it usually does for snow events? My room isn't being lit by the open window like it normally does (even during snow events).

...The Artist Formerly Known as RJSnowLover...

I might have bad eyes (hence my glasses), but does it look a little darker outside to anyone else than it usually does for snow events? My room isn't being lit by the open window like it normally does (even during snow events).

Yes I was thinking the same earlier. Usually a sign of convection possibility ;)