July 2016 Observation and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Stop trolling!!!

Apparently making 1/50 of your posts address increased troughing turns you into Mr. Objectivity in deweyland. :)

Does begrudgingly acknowledging warming trends every now and then make me objective in your book? I'm guessing the answer is no.

• Like 1

12Z ECMWF is a little deeper with the trough on Saturday.

Yeah, it looks so frigid on Saturday :lol: 

Please be sure to emphasize the importance of bundling up to all your loved ones as they brave the 73 degree windchills and the 575dm heights!

I may even have to go jet-skiing on the lake that day to fight the freeze!! 

• Like 1

12Z ECMWF run is troughier overall.  

Nothing too crazy... sort of a weak ridge/weak troughing situaiton.   Absolutely insane!   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Yeah, it looks so frigid on Saturday :lol:

Please be sure to emphasize the importance of bundling up to all your loved ones as they brave the 73 degree windchills and the 575dm heights!

I may even have to go jet-skiing on the lake that day to fight the freeze!! 

A little deeper though.     It shows SEA and PDX barely getting to 75 that day which is below normal.  Worth mentioning  since it reverses the trend to warmer.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Apparently making 1/50 of your posts address increased troughing turns you into Mr. Objectivity in deweyland. :)

Does begrudgingly acknowledging warming trends every now and then make me objective in your book? I'm guessing the answer is no.

You both wouldn't know objectivity if it bit you right in your nina-resultant frost-bit tushies.

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

You both wouldn't know objectivity if it bit you right in your nina-resultant frost-bit tushies.

:lol:

Anyhow, I can understand your desire to defend him considering he's been such an angel lately. Or maybe you are warming up to his posts (no pun intended!1!1) since your needs tend to align this time of year. Regardless, I find it interesting. :)

Just to set the record straight, the 12z GFS is cooler than average both Saturday and Sunday, though it's warmer than the 12z ECMWF.

image.pngimage.png

:lol:

Anyhow, I can understand your desire to defend him considering he's been such an angel lately. Or maybe you are warming up to his posts (no pun intended!1!1) since your needs tend to align this time of year. Regardless, I find it interesting. :)

He's a tool, but he has been getting more guff than he probably deserves in my opinion.

Speaking of the GFS, we should cherish it while we still have it.

It's going to be completely replaced within the next few years: http://www.noaa.gov/noaa-develop-new-global-weather-model

Though we'll still call it the "GFS", it will be a completely different model w/ a completely different dynamic core.

"Setting the record straight" on something he said.

Wasn't actually referring to Tim, more to the general discussion on the 12z GFS.

Seattle was much colder in the July 1-10 period.

Its been well above normal on average from July 11-26 and will be even more so in the Jul 11-31 period.   The month started cold and basically transitioned to warm after the 10th.

I live in the Seattle area.   I used local history as a guide for making my guess about how July will evolve.   I did not use Boise or Spokane.    

No. Even just for the Seattle area it was only a little above normal.

A forum for the end of the world.

I really thought persistence was going to win out through at least the middle of the summer. Regime change came faster than anyone thought back in April.

Probably sets us up for a nice second half of summer and early fall.

I kinda thought the same thing, although I never had much of a read on this summer.

One could argue the QBO hiccup over W/H climo is responsible for the excessive NPAC height rises (offEq tropopausal height rises/cell expansion relative to Eq --> diffuse 20N/20S). So, is the ongoing troughing really just a prelude to the real deal later on? Or has this merely allowed the extratropics to synchronize w/ the Niña state more easily? I could see arguments for both points of view here.

• Like 1

I've really gotten into lightning photography this summer, for some reason. Caught some "cloud-to-air" lightning a few days ago, if anyone's interested (if not, I'll stop posting these here).

Gotta love the CFS.

It was calling for a western ridge/+PNA in July/August back in early July. For whatever reason, this model is unable to capture the unfolding La Niña to an adequate degree. I suspect it's overplaying the +PNA in S/O/N, as well.

Agree with its idea of strong NPAC blocking/anticyclonic breaking in D/J/F.

• Like 1

Check out the latest CFS v2 Monthly model. It looks like in August the ridge of high pressure will move offshore and along with a SE ridge we will have a negative PNA pattern.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/cfs-mon/2016072700/cfs-mon_01_z500a_namer_1.png

But then check out what happens the next 3 months, Sep. to Nov. the ridge sets up more or less right over the PNW, giving us drier and warmer weather, a positive PNA pattern.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/cfs-mon/2016072700/cfs-mon_01_z500a_namer_2.png

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/cfs-mon/2016072700/cfs-mon_01_z500a_namer_3.pnghttp://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/cfs-mon/2016072700/cfs-mon_01_z500a_namer_4.png

However check out what happens in December and January! The negative PNA pattern returns and December looks especially good with the SE ridge and the ridge out in the Pacific amplifying up into Alaska! The pattern looks wet as well and doesn't look dry so December looks really snowy. Then in January the SE ridge gets even stronger and the ridge is still out there in the Pacific. Still a negative PNA pattern. Get ready for a snowy and cold Winter here in the PNW!

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/cfs-mon/2016072700/cfs-mon_01_z500a_namer_5.png

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/cfs-mon/2016072700/cfs-mon_01_z500a_namer_6.png

Heights are too high for December and January actually, bummer.

Heights are too high for December and January actually, bummer.

It's an ensemble aggregation. Taking the heights verbatim makes no fooking sense. Placement/orientation is all that matters.

Has your area even seen a below average month this year?

Not sure, don't think so. March might have been close, I believe Shawnigan was the coolest station in the province relative to average, but still above normal. Last September was the coolest in 20 years here.