December 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

It would have made a little difference, although I think 22-23 would have been the likely low with full clearing. Then you would have just had more of a diurnal swing, probably up to 36 or 37. It's just not that cold of an air mass.

Lucky bums up north stayed in the 20s all day. We had the snow and they had the daytime temperatures cold enough to keep it around, had they had any. This climate has a sick sense of humor sometimes. :lol:

• Like 1

Lucky bums up north stayed in the 20s all day. We had the snow and they had the daytime temperatures cold enough to keep it around, had they had any. This climate has a sick sense of humor sometimes. :lol:

This is definitely a more north/south setup. The gorge just isn't much of a factor.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

People around Bellingham and Vancouver Island just finished a work week of snow cover and temps below freezing.    They got both.

bham1_edited.jpg

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I bumped up to 30ish, but that could have just been the sun shining on the thermometer device directly. It was chilly all day either way, with little to no melting on the main snow. I dropped to at least 15 this morning though.

• Like 1

Is a clear night with snow on the ground basically an impossibility at this point? How long has it been? The entirety of the 2008 event was completely cloudy too. Took a lot away from it IMO.

It's been an incredibly long drought, although snow going into cold is just tougher to pull off here as opposed to the Puget Sound. One of these days things will line up properly. If Eugene can do it, anyone can do it. Eugene sucks.

Is a clear night with snow on the ground basically an impossibility at this point? How long has it been? The entirety of the 2008 event was completely cloudy too. Took a lot away from it IMO.

Eh, I'm not sure our somewhat spotty ~1" of remaining snow would make much of a difference with assisting tonight's lows anyways.

Really? I guess I am not as worried about low temps as some people in here. A low of 23 compared to 17 isn't really that big of a difference in the whole scheme of the "event".  I guess that I am just all about the snow.

Really? I guess I am not as worried about low temps as some people in here. A low of 23 compared to 17 isn't really that big of a difference in the whole scheme of the "event". I guess that I am just all about the snow.

I like the whole picture. Different strokes I guess.

Man clouds have just thickened up out of nowhere. Looking like another solid cloud deck tonight. I thought we were basically in the clear after this morning, pun intended.

I doubt we end up with a solid cloud deck, but severe clear isn't gonna happen. Not a particularly dry air mass.

Aside from the NWS's goofball numbers, I wouldn't be all that impressed with the parameters going into a night like this. If things remain relatively clear, the usual suspects will probably dip below 20 but that's probably it. We can do better during fake cold.

I doubt we end up with a solid cloud deck, but severe clear isn't gonna happen. Not a particularly dry air mass.

Aside from the NWS's goofball numbers, I wouldn't be all that impressed with the parameters going into a night like this. If things remain relatively clear, the usual suspects will probably dip below 20 but that's probably it. We can do better during fake cold.

I recall you commenting on how cold Friday night looked a few days ago. Not much has really changed between then and now. If anything the airmass has verified a little colder.

Snow starting here very lightly right now... 13 degrees right now at the house and rising. Probably switching to rain here tomorrow or sunday. 

Hope for snow up high...

"There are so many waves coming in all the time, you don't have to worry about that. Take your time—wave come. Let the other guys go; catch another one." -Duke Kahanamoku

A clear moonlit night with the stars out and some snowcover is still nice regardless.

Indeed, but it generally takes a solid ground covering (2"+) to start seeing some noticeable differences. Even if tonight is reasonably clear, I don't really see us going lower than 17-18. Some of the model output this week has been suggesting a lot cooler than that, presumably on account of thinking we'd have a bit more snowcover.

35/19 at mi casa today

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

I recall you commenting on how cold Friday night looked a few days ago. Not much has really changed between then and now. If anything the airmass has verified a little colder.

I overestimated the snow's persistence and the ability for this air mass to advect drier air by now. Dew points in the mid 20's aren't too impressive. Frost will be pretty widespread tomorrow morning and even some fog.

I overestimated the snow's persistence and the ability for this air mass to advect drier air by now. Dew points in the mid 20's aren't too impressive. Frost will be pretty widespread tomorrow morning and even some fog.

Something about the way that low on Wednesday night tracked absolutely juiced the mid levels, and they have stayed that way.

Something about the way that low on Wednesday night tracked absolutely juiced the mid levels, and they have stayed that way.

Well, we knew that was gonna happen. Deformation zones, even ones as weak as that one, tend to be really persistent. It wasn't a total shock we saw pockets of flurries/light snow well into Thursday morning. The biggest problem to me was the inversion wasn't able to break during the day Thursday. That left it to last night and and this morning.

Indeed, but it generally takes a solid ground covering (2"+) to start seeing some noticeable differences. Even if tonight is reasonably clear, I don't really see us going lower than 17-18. Some of the model output this week has been suggesting a lot cooler than that, presumably on account of thinking we'd have a bit more snowcover.

The 20+" of snow I had midway through the Dec. 2008 event I'm sure really helped my awesome 0F low I had.
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Well, we knew that was gonna happen. Deformation zones, even ones as weak as that one, tend to be really persistent. It wasn't a total shock we saw pockets of flurries/light snow well into Thursday morning. The biggest problem to me was the inversion wasn't able to break during the day Thursday. That left it to last night and and this morning.

We know in hindsight.

We know in hindsight.

It was pretty clear precip wasn't just going to end and we'd switch to this brisk, well-mixed cold advection affection world. To do that we need an Arctic front, and it'll be 22 years this February since we've struck gold in that manner.

So it's going to be cloudy all night now? That sucks

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

08 was amazing for me for snow totals. 54 inches. 07-08 was 44 inches believe it or not.

I had 34" at the height of 2008...07/08 I cannot recall but it wasn't much...lots of 33 degree slush!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth!