December 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

Looks like a heavier area of moisture is about to enter the Seattle area. It will be interesting to see what that does. Nice to see the radar filling in for more places now.

Dropped to 18 here last night.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Looks like a heavier area of moisture is about to enter the Seattle area. It will be interesting to see what that does. Nice to see the radar filling in for more places now.

Dropped to 18 here last night.

I don't think the heavier moisture is entering the Seattle area... pretty clear shadowing signature with this trajectory.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Ironically the 12z ensemble has more cold members for late month than any of the previous runs.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The radar is filling up, but yes you are right. Looks like areas west of 167 getting heavily shadowed.

Well... even out here its just extremely light flurries and this area is more exposed in NW flow like this as I have seen hundreds of times with light rain and drizzle.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

The radar is filling up, but yes you are right. Looks like areas west of 167 getting heavily shadowed.

There is a nice blob of precip riding further west that is dropping down around Port Townsend now. That has potential.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Be funny if there is clearing and temps are lower tonight at PDX

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Thanks.

It's what I was saying yesterday, as Tim was desperately citing models that showed no snow for anyone today.

I can't for the life of me figure out why he does that.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Thanks.

It's what I was saying yesterday, as Tim was desperately citing models that showed no snow for anyone today.

Desperately?   I was just pointing out what the models we use were showing.  Those models might be right about actual measureable snow being negligible    And the NAM HIRES might be right about snow in the air.   

Desperately?   I was just pointing out what the models we use were showing.  Those models might be right about actually measureable snow being negligible    And the NAM HIRES might be right about snow in the air.   

Right. And I was just telling you that this isn't a situation the models deal with very often or very well.

A forum for the end of the world.

I can't for the life of me figure out why he does that.

Does what?   Be realistic?     

The ECMWF, HRRR, and MM5 models did not show much of any measureable snow today.      

Right. And I was just telling you that this isn't a situation the models deal with very often or very well.

But snow in the air is not going to really picked up by models showing measureable snow.  

Whatever.

Bordering on moderate snow here now. Everything is starting to get just a little coating of white.

Always nice to be surprised.

You are in a good spot based on trajectory.

There was a very real chance of measurable snow today, regardless of what the models showed. Not a lot likely, but some.

Just being realistic.

Sure... it was a discussion.

Sorry I did not consider the need to over-hype everything on here for those who have not seen much snow.  ;)

A few of the 12Z GFS ensemble members keep the system on Christmas day farther offshore or show it diving to the south of us... I assume that would keep it colder here at least.  

Flurryfest 2016! My truck has nearly double the amount now!

Trade you my 1/4" of freezing rain for your dusting of snow? :lol:

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/57F4221B-DF72-44C2-9A9C-FE5020E6E6E1_zpsn8oy3ikz.png

• Like 1