December 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

18z GFS backed off on the foot the 6z/12z showed for Thursday - now much closer to the Euro and much more reasonable, IMO.

Anywhere from 3-7 inches along I-5 corridor in Western WA from Thurs night-Fri morning.

It's funny, much closer in accumulations, but not closer at all in how it handles the approaching low.

A forum for the end of the world.

FWIW, Scott Sistek over at KOMO is going with the Euro solution, forecasting 3-5 inches up and down the I-5 corridor in Western WA. Also mentions the possibilities for wind in the foothills, freezing rain, and potential for more snow events over the weekend and next week.

Fairly bullish, but reasonable and I think he will end up mostly right. The Euro has been much more consistent in the strength/track of the low than the GFS. In the Euro we trust.

I have tremendous respect for scott as he is my favorite public met up here. He usually is very good at calling this stuff overall.

Good morning everyone.

13 outside right now. Think I'm getting some snow later this afternoon, models showing anywhere from 3-6 to 8-14 inches of snow tonight into tomorrow. The GFS has the most, but has been consistently showing/growing in its forecast. The euro didn't show much until just yesterday. Overcast right now... something is coming in the sky.

Can't wait for finals to get done with. I wanna be done with OB and Pediatric nursing!!!

It's funny reading back on this as NOAA was predicting 3-6 for tonight and had issued a winter advisory... Between what the models were showing in liquid amounts and what the radar was showing with the precip arriving faster, I was thinking the CZ was going to set up over Juneau and not 40 miles west of it like NOAA was thinking.

Well, NOAA just upgraded it to a Winter Storm Watch with 10-18 inches :) The text group I have here for weather was pretty stoked I guessed it (hopefully! still have to see...). Would not have done it without the knowledge I gained reading you guys!

Currently snowing at a moderate amount, probably picked up a trace in the last hour. 

"There are so many waves coming in all the time, you don't have to worry about that. Take your time—wave come. Let the other guys go; catch another one." -Duke Kahanamoku

Too bad the SE ridge is absent later next week.

Ordinarily there would be a SE ridge with the given NPAC setup, but that giant Hudson Bay vortex/+NAO just squashes it.

You need to look at the marine section to realize they don't have a clue where this Low is headed. Hence;

What is much less certain is the track and strength of the surface
low which will impact winds Thursday night and Friday as the low
nears the coastal waters. Confidence in the wind forecast for that
period is low. Kam 

PDX 44. Much warmth. So overachieve. Such sun. WOW.

Yeah, I believe MOS guidance for today was 34. :)

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Devil's in the details, freezing levels in cascades per same NWS office. They are only letting the mountain critters know the truth, us humans can't handle the truth so they are holding out on us.

.TONIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. FREEZING LEVEL AT THE SURFACE.
.WEDNESDAY...SUNNY. FREEZING LEVEL NEAR THE SURFACE.
.WEDNESDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY IN THE EVENING THEN BECOMING
MOSTLY CLOUDY. FREEZING LEVEL NEAR THE SURFACE.
.THURSDAY...PARTLY SUNNY WITH A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SNOW IN THE
MORNING...THEN SNOW LIKELY IN THE AFTERNOON. SNOW LEVEL AT THE
SURFACE.
.THURSDAY NIGHT... SNOW. SNOW LEVEL AT THE SURFACE.
.FRIDAY...RAIN AND SNOW. SNOW LEVEL NEAR 500 FEET.
.FRIDAY NIGHT...RAIN AND SNOW LIKELY. SNOW LEVEL NEAR 1000 FEET.
.SATURDAY...RAIN AND SNOW LIKELY IN THE MORNING...THEN SHOWERS
LIKELY IN THE AFTERNOON. SNOW LEVEL NEAR 400 FEET.
.SATURDAY NIGHT...SHOWERS LIKELY. SNOW LEVEL NEAR 500 FEET.
.SUNDAY...SHOWERS LIKELY. SNOW LEVEL NEAR 1000 FEET.
.SUNDAY NIGHT...SHOWERS LIKELY. SNOW LEVEL NEAR 1000 FEET.
.MONDAY...CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF SHOWERS. SNOW LEVEL NEAR
500 FEET.
.MONDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF SHOWERS. SNOW
LEVEL NEAR SEA LEVEL.
.TUESDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. FREEZING LEVEL NEAR THE SURFACE.

• Like 1

Is it me or does Portland nws seem to like snow more?

That's not the problem, they are doing a terrible service to people who depend on them. If you look at the forecast they make it sound like maybe some wet snow here and there. Meanwhile jimmy and his friend are headed to Belingham  in there moms car Thursday morning and have to drive thru 6 inches of snow and crash.

• Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

12z EPS ensembles sure looks chilly in the day 6-10 timeframe. The mean for PDX on the 14th is 32/25.

• Like 2

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

It's semi-negligent on their part, I would agree.

It's one thing to not take a swing at snow accumulation forecast yet (even though we are within 48 hours, I could understand), it's another to not even discuss the possibilities, models, trends, outcomes, etc.

Alas, this is not the first conversation we have had on this forum about this topic. Happens all too often when they don't know which way the forecast will go.

Seattle nws plays it conservative.