January 2017 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Goducks09

It's been a bit further south than the other models, just seems to be coming into better agreement now.

For whatever reason, I've had a feeling about something for Wednesday for a while now but that "feeling" is quickly evaporating!

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Winter is over.

I thought we were supposed to see an epic January.

Yeah... we might have failed again.   

We need to start the planning process earlier next year.   Team meetings start in April.   Let think outside the box people!      

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Come again? :lol:

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/F159204B-7A00-4B85-95CC-39145AB15BBD_zpsz9rzzskr.png

Looks cold in Bozeman...

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

I don't care what that map says, every time I would turn on the news I would see dump trucks removing snow and dumping it in rivers to get rid of it, cars buried, polar vortex mania, look at the models to see blues purples and pinks on the east coast and stupid green and reds for the west coast for 850 temps...week after week, month after month, year after year...for the last several years. It's our turn damnit!! Haha!

Lol, climo is a b*tch.

FWIW, last winter was our warmest on record, and we're on our way to another blowtorch this year, after a blast furnace summer and autumn. :(

Yeah... we might have failed again.

We need to start the planning process earlier next year. Team meetings start in April. Let think outside the box people!

I think more team building exercises would help. Trust falls and moss appreciation nature walks. A four hour block of Tim/Jim sensitivity training with actors portraying do's and don't scenarios is in order.

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Ahhhh.... the basin.

We are basking in 925mb temps of +10 and they still manage to be well below zero.   Not much different than what we have right now here.

ecmwf_t925_washington_25.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

You might get snow next week!

Atlanta has a better shot than I do. Suppression depression.

We actually need a SE ridge to score the proper storm track in La Niña winters.

I think more team building exercises would help. Trust falls and moss appreciation nature walks. A four hour block of Tim/Jim sensitivity training with actors portraying do's and don't scenarios is in order.

:lol:

That got an honest laugh out loud from me here.... my son asked if the weather geeks were cracking jokes again.   

This will still end up as the coldest January week since at least 2007 for most places.

*cue luvsnow exclaiming angrily about how this is meaningless

The only thing memorable about this week will be yet another epic collapse all the models took in just a 6hr time span.
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Southern BC/Whatcom County is in business early next week.

Please can we round down and include northern Snohomish co in on that as well?

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

The only thing memorable about this week will be yet another epic collapse all the models took in just a 6hr time span.

Yeah, it certainly looked like something bigger until almost the last minute. 

Still, for fans of cold, wintry weather, at least this January is delivering something better than almost all other recent Januaries. Jesse wanted cold sunshine, and he's getting it!

A forum for the end of the world.

Southern BC/Whatcom County is in business early next week.

Yes sir... 00Z ECMWF shows a snowstorm for Portland on day 8 and regionwide snow by the start of day 9.

This will still end up as the coldest January week since at least 2007 for most places.

*cue luvsnow exclaiming angrily about how this is meaningless

Colder than 2013?!?!

Nuke Yellowstone. That'll do it.

Please don't, I'm moving there next week!

Cold Season 2023/24:

Yes sir... 00Z ECMWF shows a snowstorm for Portland on day 8 and regionwide snow by the start of day 9.

That must be the dip that many of the ensembles have been showing!

Yeah, it certainly looked like something bigger until almost the last minute.

Still, for fans of cold, wintry weather, at least this January is delivering something better than almost all other recent Januaries. Jesse wanted cold sunshine, and he's getting it!

Haven't had much sunshine yet...

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Of course we need to get through the snow that the ECMWF forecasted last week for this week... then we can start worrying about next week.

Here is the map from last Friday for this week.   How much of this is yet to fall?    

ecmwf_tsnow_washington_41.png