2/28-3/2 Potential Storm

Money

From 12-14 to 1-2 in 2 days on the GFS.

Ouch.

In addition to the weakening Friday wave, a steady slide southward continues for the weekend snow.  The excitement of a couple days ago is fading, although I always knew the initial GFS precip totals were likely overdone by a fair amount.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

We just need this to phase and we would all be sitting pretty.

Unfortunately this wave is just too weak so the PV just keeps pushing it south. If it was a little stronger it might have a chance but not looking good as the trend has been less qpf the last couple runs. Until we get better sampling its going to be a back n forth ride. I can handle the snow but if the PV keeps pushing the storms south of us then what good is it anyway.

Totally OT here, but have a quick question for you guys...

My weather station is arriving today, and I'm trying to think of where would be a good place to put the temperature sensor.. What would you guys suggest?

I had problem with this at first but I stuck it near light pool in middle of right grass and reads it pretty good. I also thought about strapping it on top of garage roof but it probably would read it to hot during summer months and against back of house works good.

Yup, its back farther NW from its previous runs...the sat night wave looks good for S WI/IA...then the main event comes a bit farther north and loads up the moisture.  Looks like the Sun/Mon wave comes out in front of the main High building in from the Dakotas which may not suppress it much farther south.

I have not seen the Euro maps but what I have heard is that the reason Euro shifted NW is because it has partially phased with the PV and is going negative tilt east of the Mississippi. Not sure this is true but definitely a good sign for us if it does happen as this would keep it from being forced too far south.

What do you guys think??

Lol as Skilling made a comment on everyone's wish casting today he isn't to optimistic about the upcoming storms

Kind of surprised he has upper 20s for highs this weekend.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

If I remember correctly, the Jan 4-5th storm was a complete surprise until around 3-4 days out when models caught on to the system.  If by Thursday the models continue with a southern trend, I'd start worrying of a suppressed event.  The GFS for example, has a tendency to loose the system in the medium range, then bring it back 2-3 days out.  This is a complex storm, unlike last week's storm that had a vigorous SLP that is easier for the models to pick up on which lead to a very consistent storm track days away.

• Like 1

18z NAM showing a lot of snow from I-80 on north from the 1st 2 waves Friday into Saturday.  If this baroclinic zone can stay put and the 3rd bigger wave on Sun/Mon can ride up along it, than this could become the bigger deal we saw from earlier runs of the GFS.