2/28-3/2 Potential Storm

Money

In the end, just another nickel and dimer for the area. Over 50" now for the year, and only one warning level storm, and that was 6" on the spot. That's just hard to believe!

This series of systems over the weekend could be a fitting summary of the entire winter...  our area gets another couple nickel/dimers while northern Missouri through Indiana gets hit good.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Right now I am forecast to get zero inches. Storm is too far south. Lets see what happens. East Coast gets clobbered. A 12"+ storm for them from DC to Boston.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

This is what I have looked into(and been influenced from other forum posts) so far with the 12z GFS. The northern stream is weaker on the 12z compared to the 0z/06z The 0z Euro also showed a weaker northern stream which is why the northern push. Its all going to come down to how strong the artic push will be. So far the trend, if you can call it that, has been a weaker push. I also looked at the video from Bernie Rayno from Accuweather and his concern was also how far south the artic front would go and this would determine how far north with the heavy snow. He also mentioned the Euro being weaker than the GFS but this was before the 12z GFS modeling.

Just something to think about while waiting for the Euro.

This is what I have looked into(and been influenced from other forum posts) so far with the 12z GFS. The northern stream is weaker on the 12z compared to the 0z/06z The 0z Euro also showed a weaker northern stream which is why the northern push. Its all going to come down to how strong the artic push will be. So far the trend, if you can call it that, has been a weaker push. I also looked at the video from Bernie Rayno from Accuweather and his concern was also how far south the artic front would go and this would determine how far north with the heavy snow. He also mentioned the Euro being weaker than the GFS but this was before the 12z GFS modeling.

Just something to think about while waiting for the Euro.

Really good point by him.

Have to watch out for dry mid levels in the beginning too.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Ouch; just after it had been showing northward progress the previous 2 runs. That leaves the GFS as the outlier.

Early, non-sampled indications are pointing at a 2-4" snow around these parts. That's enough to break the 70" marker.

...The Artist Formerly Known as RJSnowLover...

DVN AFD this morning was not too exciting...said 1-2" for the first event and didn't mention amounts for anything else besides that. But I guess for most of the area, we'll just be getting snow from the 1st and 2nd wave, which also looks like a 1-3" event. Looks like the snow for the weekend in my area would be done by about midnight Saturday night/Sunday morning if the Euro is correct.

Geos, wouldn't the mid levels be saturated already with the first couple waves??

Well before the first one.

Skilling just posted this.

1794659_10152204900146760_1486935004_n.p

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

I was reading that the storm hitting Cali on Friday had a central pressure comparable to a Cat 4 Hurricane.  Only if this baby could phase and become stronger than what the models are currently showing.  Tomorrow night's 00z runs will have much better sampling so still a lot of time for some shifts.

Even if we do get 4-6" from this event it would push ORD above 70" for the season which is a remarkable achievement nonetheless.  FWIW, the trend on the models have been showing a lot of moisture to work with overall in the Plains/Midwest which suggests to me it may even get better as the data comes in from the balloon network.

The forum was pretty quiet today after the 12z runs haha. I think its more likely than not that we see a northward trend, its been very common this winter. Caplan and Skilling both made Facebook posts today about increased snow amounts. 

But looking at the last two runs of the GFS, there is a nice fetch coming off the lake and enhancing snow totals in adjacent counties

CONUS2_GFS0P5_SFC_ACCUM-SNOW_120HR.gif

WINTER_GFS0P5_SFC_ACCUM-SNOW_120HR.gif

• Like 1

Tom said what I first thought when I looked over the storm a few days back. Wouldn't be surprised to see a north shift.

you're right the snowman that the what tom has said about skilling that we are looking a north shift that will put no il to no oh in the heaviest snow to a foot to foot and a half or to a two footer.

FWIW, the latest 12z CFSv2 snowfall map showing 2 of its 4 members indicating a snowstorm from NE/IA/N IL/S WI/N IN/S MI.  This map accounts for current snow cover and the projected snow for the snowstorm this weekend.  You can see the heaviest corridor of 12"+ in the greyish/brown color.

FWIW, the latest 12z CFSv2 snowfall map showing 2 of its 4 members indicating a snowstorm from NE/IA/N IL/S WI/N IN/S MI.  This map accounts for current snow cover and the projected snow for the snowstorm this weekend.  You can see the heaviest corridor of 12"+ in the greyish/brown color.

it is the two left ones.