November 2017 PNW Discussion Thread

stuffradio

His snow pics looked pretty fluffy. I think Mueller has a better eye for that stuff though.

The snow was wet.    Then dried out with offshore flow.     

And our roses actively blooming in the garden also provide evidence.   :)

You can debate it all you want... but it has not gone below 32 degrees here yet.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

The snow was wet. Then dried out with offshore flow.

And our roses actively blooming in the garden also provide evidence. :)

You can debate it all you want... but it has not gone below 32 degrees here yet.

I’m done. You’re going to report what you report.

Part of me thinks you’ve been craving a discussion on this though. There was one morning where I think I counted no less than six posts basically saying you hadn’t had a freeze yet, in slightly different ways, in a two hour period. :lol:

• Like 1

I’m done. You’re going to report what you report.

Part of me thinks you’ve been craving a discussion on this though. There was one morning where I think I counted no less than six posts basically saying you hadn’t had a freeze yet, in slightly different ways, in a two hour period. :lol:

Then use Jim as corroborating evidence.   He barely squeaked out one morning below freezing in late October.    His location is far superior to mine with radiational cooling and nights below freezing.   SEA  has not gone below freezing yet either.   And almost no one reported below freezing temps with the last cold trough.   The timing of the clouds and east wind ruined that as Jim mentioned.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Bend and Redmond changed back over to snow this morning as well. Colder air aloft has moved back in and it looks like their surface cold was preserved.

Something similar happened here last January 8-9.

redmond definitely hasn’t. cousin just posted an image of zr madness trying to go to bend. no snow

Just took a picture of a rose bush in the garden... when it freezes this entire plant turns brown and shrivels up immediately.    There are still flowers that will be opening up soon... probably this weekend.

20171109_080538.jpg

Then use Jim as corroborating evidence.   He barely squeaked out one morning below freezing in late October.    His location is far superior to mine with radiational cooling and nights below freezing.   SEA  has not gone below freezing yet either.   And almost no one reported below freezing temps with the last cold trough.   The timing of the clouds and east wind ruined that as Jim mentioned.

FWIW, I haven't had a freeze yet in Mountlake Terrace either.

It got down to 32.5 a couple times while it was snowing and I had one morning low of 33 with a decent amount of frost, but no official freezes.

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

Took another one pic with evidence of the date.   Also just noticed the Seattle Times has an article on the front page about dealing with SAD... which includes the recommendation to move away.   Jesse will love that.  :)

20171109_081842.jpg

Definitely a bizarre pattern. Snowed for a little around 7am but otherwise just zr. 97 was closed briefly because of a crash on the ice.

Bend, OR

Elevation: 3550'

Snow History:

Nov: 1"

Dec: .5"

Jan: 1.9"

Feb: 12.7"

Mar: 1.0"

Total: 17.1"

2016/2017: 70"

2015/2016: 34"

Average: ~25"

2017/2018 Winter Temps

Lowest Min: 1F on 2/23

Lowest Max: 23F on 12/24, 2/22

Lows <32: 87

Highs <32: 13

Actually just noticed the trees dripping. Temp must be back above freezing. Only 20 or so hours after it was forecasted too.

Bend, OR

Elevation: 3550'

Snow History:

Nov: 1"

Dec: .5"

Jan: 1.9"

Feb: 12.7"

Mar: 1.0"

Total: 17.1"

2016/2017: 70"

2015/2016: 34"

Average: ~25"

2017/2018 Winter Temps

Lowest Min: 1F on 2/23

Lowest Max: 23F on 12/24, 2/22

Lows <32: 87

Highs <32: 13

Road snow is a pretty good indicator of a ground freeze, and a likely 2M official freeze ... Tim is your thermometer in a compromised location buddy?

What?   The roads never froze up... it was always slushy.    The road can accumulate slushy snow when the temp is above freezing if its snowing hard enough and that happened Sunday afternoon.    It never dropped below 33... although it was at 33 for a long time.   

As soon as it freezes the evidence will be obvious and the rose bushes will look dead.  They are still blooming this morning.   Explain that? 

What?   The roads never froze up... it was always slushy.    The road can accumulate slushy snow when the temp is above freezing if its snowing hard enough and that happened Sunday afternoon.    It never dropped below 33... although it was at 33 for a long time.   

As soon as it freezes the evidence will be obvious and the rose bushes will look dead.  They are still blooming this morning.   Explain that? 

Rose bush adjacent to the house?

• Like 1

No... way out in the garden and in the lowest spot in the yard.     I have seen frost only in the garden on some mornings in past years since its the lowest spot.  

While I certainly wouldn't want to stop someone from posting rose garden pictures and newspapers for proof-of-date, I hit 32.2 on both November 3rd and 4th, 31.6 on November 5th, and 29.5 on November 6th.

A station a little ways down the street from me also hit similar numbers. City of Carnation hit 31.1 on November 6th.

Your location is way more prone to freezing temps with radiational cooling.   That is just a fact.   Its also more prone to fog.  

No... way out in the garden and in the lowest spot in the yard.     I have seen frost only in the garden sometimes in past years since its the lowest spot.  

Yea this is really surprising that you haven't seen a freeze while Seattle saw accumulating snow already.

It's also flurrying here this morning when it was supposed to freezing rain!

12z is pretty boring. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Yea this is really surprising that you haven't seen a freeze while Seattle saw accumulating snow already.

It's also flurrying here this morning when it was supposed to freezing rain!

It is interesting.   SEA has not has a freeze yet either.    

Road snow is a pretty good indicator of a ground freeze, and a likely 2M official freeze ... Tim is your thermometer in a compromised location buddy?

Maybe if it’s snowing lightly. But I’ve shoveled enough 33F snow to know that it sticks to the roads just fine when it’s snowing hard enough.
  • Like 2

I saw some roses yesterday here that didn’t look dead and it was been well into the 20s. Maybe the snow insulated them.

Our roses are always evidence here of the first freeze.   A couple years ago they shriveled up to nothing after a low of 30.

Just took another picture to show the location... those rose bushes are in the fenced garden area far from the house or any source of warmth.    And the sun is trying to come here now.  :)

20171109_085130.jpg

Just took another picture to show the location... those rose bushes are in the fenced garden area far from the house or any source of warmth. And the sun is trying to come here now. :)

20171109_085130.jpg

Maybe you have the same type of thermometer that they used out in Astoria last year. I hear they have a terrible warm bias.

I don't why Tim can't just admit he spent several nights in the teens and why Donald can't just admit he paid the Russians with Sandy relief monies to shoot a mind control beam at Hillary last 9-11 to make her pass out. Both admissions of obvious truths would save taxpayers a lot of money.

• Like 5

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Maybe you have the same type of thermometer that they used out in Astoria last year. I hear they have a terrible warm bias.

It has not gone below freezing here.   Jim has barely had one and SEA has had none and those places almost always have a freeze before me.   I have not seen any ice either.    The closest we got was Halloween morning... that was the one day there was frost in North Bend and Snoqualmie but not up here.  

I don't why Tim can't just admit he spent several nights in the teens and why Donald can't just admit he paid the Russians with Sandy relief monies to shoot a mind control beam at Hillary last 9-11 to make her pass out. Both admissions of obvious truths would save taxpayers a lot of money.

:lol:

Good tweet from Michael Ventrice this morning, sorry I dont know how to embed the full twitter with images, but here is what he said:

"Interesting conundrum between the ECMWF and CFSv2 weeklies; CFSv2 not buying into prolonged -NAO episode like ECMWF. Instead, model reverts back to La Nina/+NAO pattern that can bring anomalous warmth across the East. This will be worth watching"

DOMnse3UIAEGXwg.jpg

DOMnxLsUQAA_Z7w.jpg

• Like 3

Big-time outlier, though. Even Seattle WFO managed lows of 30 and 31 earlier this month.

SEA is prone to east wind like my area.    It makes sense.  

Jim is in the same boat but he managed to avoid the east wind on Halloween morning and he was able to barely get one.