December Weather In the PNW

BLI snowman

Phil will end up in Omaha managing a Cinnabon in a year if he is lucky

Lol, I love Cinnabons.

• Like 2

I’m in! I call dibs on his estate up at the top of Stampede Pass!

Sold that one years ago to purchase a new one on the summit of Mt. Rainier. All are welcome.

• Like 2

Sold that one years ago to purchase a new one on the summit of Mt. Rainier. All are welcome.

Perfect! Better views at that location! You of course are invited to our first annual forum party up there!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

It is nice to see the GFS at least getting a tad cooler on each run in the shorter term. Nothing remarkable but small changes in the right direction is always good. Still showing rain for the lowlands though on Christmas. 

:)

rob, Jim, Tim and Phil have all throttled way back or stopped posting that makes a big difference.

I was up until 5:30 AM with severe knee pain and had to wait until exhaustion just to be able to sleep. 12z runs were definitely not good and if that's a trend we can write off the end of December into January. Too soon to say on that. It is annoying how watered down this modified blast has become to just a trickle of cold air pulled into eastern Washington. 12z EPS shows a massive Columbia Basin cold pool for 7+ days, but even that I suspect won't happen. We'll need the cold pool to really strengthen more so than modeled like we had earlier this month. If that happens, then I suppose anything is possible, more likely ZR for PDX/Gorge. Onto 00z runs!

00z GFS in 5 hours 21 minutes

00z CMC in 5 hours 57 minutes

00z ECMWF in 7 hours 42 minutes

Yeah, there could be a modest boreal winter warming effect in the high latitudes. But again, this doesn’t look like a long-lasting eruption, so..jury is still out IMO.

Dueling volcanoes!  

Offsetting penalties.   Repeat first down.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Here is the top of stampede. Thats the little house i was talking about. I have walked over the top of that roof one winter, want to say winter of 98.

That is in Phil's old subdivision! 

There is a new Whole Foods and Starbucks around the corner.    :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Overall there is a lot of pretty dang cold Maritime air that wants to head this way on the 18z... This can be good for us as it would be cold enough and potential packed moisture. There is more than one way to skin a block. ;)\

gfs_z500a_namer_22.png

gfs_T850_namer_22.png

18z says maybe I see a few rain/snow showers at my parent's house next week.

Very very exciting indeed... something falling from the sky in the PNW is very rare.  :)

Snow falling from the sky in late December in the upper Midwest is very very rare indeed.

A blizzard is pretty cool... it looks impressive on that map.  

I'm no expert skier but it looks like he was about to eat s**t in the last 1 or 2 seconds

He did fall a little at the end... but he trimmed the video before sending to me.   I asked the same thing.    :)