February Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Deweydog

At least no more BSF!

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Looks like Seattle gets shafted again Thursday.

The cold is just unreal for this time of year too.  850s stay -10 though much of Thursday night now.  What a waste.

This never used to happen.  It used to be that a high percentage of cold waves like this delivered significant snow to Seattle.  Every significant cold event since Jan 2012 (and there have been several) has failed to do so.  Even the snows we have gotten the last couple of winters were without major cold in play.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Wait is that a donut hole over Monmouth?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3395/3597694566_d3da21ab0d.jpg

• Like 1

Personal Stats:

Venmo

Downside here are the temperatures. We had 19 in the forecast for this morning as of a few days ago. Have yet to drop below 30 at PDX since the start of this pattern.

Almost certainly will reach the 20s tomorrow AM, assuming the rapid clearing to the north continues. With the fresh snow cover, could really surprise.

Arlington down to 22.

A forum for the end of the world.

The cold is just unreal for this time of year too. 850s stay -10 though much of Thursday night now. What a waste.

This never used to happen. It used to be that a high percentage of cold waves like this delivered significant snow to Seattle. Every significant cold event since Jan 2012 (and there have been several) has failed to do so. Even the snows we have gotten the last couple of winters were without major cold in play.

Our best chance has to be Friday into Saturday.

Another rain shadow event. We need a system coming in from the west or southwest which will be difficult in the current longwave pattern. 

As snowmizer has pointed out, there are plenty of times Seattle area has scored with a system moving in from the NW. This last one was just a little too far offshore, and this next one looks to just be a little too weak as it passes by.

And as SW has pointed out, some of it has to do with the trough digging so deep that lows are developing better further south as they dive down the coast.

The cold is just unreal for this time of year too.  850s stay -10 though much of Thursday night now.  What a waste.

This never used to happen.  It used to be that a high percentage of cold waves like this delivered significant snow to Seattle.  Every significant cold event since Jan 2012 (and there have been several) has failed to do so.  Even the snows we have gotten the last couple of winters were without major cold in play.

No real explanation other than very bad luck. Mythically bad.

. Yeah I got stuck in my driveway today cause my wife had the good car. The sun angle makes this snow not as good. I was ready for summer after January too. But Hawaii beats Oregon 10 months out of the year

I also thought I was the only on here who does not care about cold and snow after January.     I would be very happy if it never snowed after Groundhog Day.  :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Almost certainly will reach the 20s tomorrow AM, assuming the rapid clearing to the north continues. With the fresh snow cover, could really surprise.

Arlington down to 22.

I'd like to see those dewpoints in the 20's for that. We did score a 23 back on 12/26 in a similar situation but the lower levels were slightly drier. 

As snowmizer has pointed out, there are plenty of times Seattle area has scored with a system moving in from the NW. This last one was just a little too far offshore, and this next one looks to just be a little too weak as it passes by.

And as SW has pointed out, some of it has to do with the trough digging so deep that lows are developing better further south as they dive down the coast.

I'm aware of what others have pointed out. To my point, getting a system that comes from the northwest to produce a snow event requires specific longwave trough configurations to avoid rain shadowing and too much warm air advection which is difficult to pull off. 

Down to 35.  Looks like the band is wrapping up.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

I'd like to see those dewpoints in the 20's for that. We did score a 23 back on 12/26 in a similar situation but the lower levels were slightly drier. 

I think they'll get there. It's only 10:30...Chehalis is down to 28. You guys just need a little clearing. Shouldn't take too long.

I'm aware of what others have pointed out. To my point, getting a system that comes from the northwest to produce a snow event requires specific longwave trough configurations to avoid rain shadowing and too much warm air advection which is difficult to pull off. 

Fair enough. I just wouldn't read too much into what just happened. 

And I would also point out that a system moving in from the SW requires specific configurations and tracks for Seattle to score, too. Can't be too far south, can't be too far north, can't be too warm, etc.

Looking at the reanalysis on the 500mb pattern that delivered the Arctic front I can see it why we didn't get much snow here.  A while back I did a composite of 500mb maps associated with Arctic fronts that delivered snow to Seattle and ones that didn't.  This one was squarely in the low snow camp.  Next time around I'm going to use that data to make my snow predictions with the Arctic front.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Wasn't November 85 a coast slider?

Nov 1985 was made up of multiple systems.  It was basically Jan 1950 in November.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Still a hole over the Central Sound on the 00z Euro, even with the larger Friday system.

Just so incredibly frustrating.

Yeah... the weekend looks miserable on the ECMWF.    It flirts with lowland snow but the precip is constant so I assume its probably overstating accumulation and it ends up being just really gloomy and drizzly with occasional snowflakes mixing in.   

I keep thinking this pattern will evolve into one with large ULLs meandering around which would probably end up being a warmer scenario but I have only seen small hints of this so far in the models.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

The Euro kind of sucks late in the week.  A lot of rain.  Booo.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Sounds like the foothills by North Bend.

We had almost 5 straight months of sun last year.   Even December was very sunny.     You must be confused.   ;)