June Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Geos

12Z ECMWF for 4th of July... looks pretty good.

High temps in the mid to upper 70s in WA and low 80s in OR:

ecmwf_t2max_nw_27.png

Precip during the evening period (5 - 11 p.m.)

ecmwf_precip_06_nw_28.png

It's amazing how cool/cold the Canadian Rockies can get in July... I haven't looked, but the overnight lows must be well into the twenties with some teens in those colder spots...

"Avoiding unwanted weather is a key element of happiness."

It's amazing how cool/cold the Canadian Rockies can get in July... I haven't looked, but the overnight lows must be well into the twenties with some teens in those colder spots...

Yeah really. Snow showing up on the highest terrain in the next week as well.

gfs_asnow_nwus_31.png

In the Colorado Rockies up in the upper valleys there only a very short window of like 6 weeks where frosts are "unlikely" but can occur anytime in cool pattern. The air is so dry the temperature plummets once it gets dark.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

100 million people on the eastern seaboard and Phil is the only one whining. Wait, that's cause he's on a western forum while the others aren't.

I can't wait for my pleasurable 90-95 degree dry heat that will be here soon and stays.

What? That’s definitely false. :lol:

Temperature rise stopped at 66 here. Pretty thick overcast now. Looks like the next warmest day near 70 will be the 4th.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

18z GFS looks similar. 

Some moisture across the north sound/northern Cascades.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_nwus_25.png

Mercer Island, 350 ft

Most of the 12z EPS members are troughy thru D15.

Nice to see it extend closer to my departure date. :)

Oh boy, here we go.  I saw this coming from a mile away... :lol:

We get to hear Phil tell us how troughy our July is going to be now...

carrey2.gif

• Like 1

You're not going to like the 18z.

Man that is gonna be a buzzkill.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

4th does not look bad though.

Did you see my posts?

The rainy image you posted this morning was actually for July 3rd... and the 12Z ECMWF surface map for the evening of the 4th looks perfect for your festivities.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

No rain here today... but the endless stream of clouds over the next 5 or 6 days will mean nothing will dry out even it there is little rainfall.  

This feels like southeast Alaska in the summer... barely any sun for a week and chilly temps.     Definitely not summery and summer is very short.   

Looks so much better from Portland southward for the next week.   As usual. 

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Bunch of Eors on this site today.

There is nothing wrong with days like today in June.

It's pleasant.  Not sunny, but pleasant.

If we can get a day like today on the 4th of July with an afternoon breakout of sun, perfect I say.

For some reason Phil likes to tell people to stick swords and cacti in their orifices.

Strange dude.

Bunch of Eors on this site today.

There is nothing wrong with days like today in June.

It's pleasant.  Not sunny, but pleasant.

If we can get a day like today on the 4th of July with an afternoon breakout of sun, perfect I say.

For some reason Phil likes to tell people to stick swords and cacti in their orifices.

Strange dude.

Normally we have 2 or 3 days with persistent clouds and then get a couple sunny days.  

The clouds started yesterday and will go through the next Tuesday at least which a full week and sort of unusual.   Even in our cool summers this would be unusual.   Its not just today alone... I am also extrapolating ahead (as usual) because its not going to change any time soon.  

Meanwhile... from Kelso southward its much nicer and every day through Tuesday looks the same.   Huge difference.   I would be not be saying anything at all if I lived down there.   ;)

Looks like a pretty cloudy 5 day stretch. In particular in areas where the convergence zone sets up. Outside of that at least the skies will probably be brighter. GFS spitting out up to 0.75" of rain for King and Snohomish through the evening of the 4th. Definitely will be mowing the grass again next month. Unlike last July!

Mercer Island, 350 ft

Looks like a pretty cloudy 5 day stretch. In particular in areas where the convergence zone sets up. Outside of that at least the skies will probably be brighter. GFS spitting out up to 0.75" of rain for King County through the evening of the 4th. Definitely will be mowing the grass again next month. Unlike last July!

5 days ahead from now... and then include yesterday and today and you have 7 days.  

Did you see my posts?

The rainy image you posted this morning was actually for July 3rd... and the 12Z ECMWF surface map for the evening of the 4th looks perfect for your festivities.

Oh yes, I saw it. Sorry been posting on the go. Thanks sir! :)

Current satellite... Oregon is mostly sunny but even eastern WA is cloudy except immediately downwind from the Cascades.

sat_6-28.png

WRF was completely wrong as usual for this afternoon...

intcld.12.0000.gif

But the always reliable ECMWF had right.  :)

Oh yes, I saw it. Sorry been posting on the go. Thanks sir! :)

No problem!   I know you are busy and wanted to make sure you were seeing my responses.    

Most of the 12z EPS members are troughy thru D15.

Nice to see it extend closer to my departure date. :)

Oh boy, here we go.  I saw this coming from a mile away... :lol:

We get to hear Phil tell us how troughy our July is going to be now...

attachicon.gifcarrey2.gif

Hey Phil, this post was all in fun, I actually really appreciate all you bring to the forum...

• Like 1

Beaver fever!!!

With the disaster that is most of their other sports, it's nice that their fans can enjoy cheering for a very good baseball team annually.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Hey Phil, this post was all in fun, I actually really appreciate all you bring to the forum...

Likely going to be an inevitable flip to a western ridge for awhile eventually... hopefully the timing works out and he has to suffer through low 80s and sunshine with low humidity while he is in Everett for a couple days.    His time in Leavenworth might be even warmer and less humid.    Its going to be so horrible for him!  

Likely going to be an inevitable flip to a western ridge for awhile eventually... hopefully the timing works out and he has to suffer through low 80s and sunshine with low humidity while he is in Everett for a couple days.    His time in Leavenworth might be even warmer and less humid.    Its going to be so horrible for him!  

It may not be the cool, misty nirvana he's envisioning...

fixed it.

Likely going to be an inevitable flip to a western ridge for awhile eventually... hopefully the timing works out and he has to suffer through low 80s and sunshine with low humidity while he is in Everett for a couple days. His time in Leavenworth might be even warmer and less humid. Its going to be so horrible for him!

You know, part of me hopes this death ridge is as brutal as possible, that way any heat in Seattle will feel cool and refreshing by comparison.

And the pattern will inevitably flip when forcing returns to the dateline..probably the third week of July. But there are other lower frequency preconditioners that have been putting the kibosh on any prolonged western ridging.

This doesn’t seem to be the summer for western ridging as a background state.

• Like 1

It’s all good. I’m definitely fair game.

Most things ultimately end up going Tim’s way in recent years, but I think he spends so much time worrying they won’t he doesn’t appreciate that fact much as he should.

This is completely false. In this climate... cheering for dry and sunny means that almost nothing will go your way. Particularly up here. That is why I appreciate it so much when it works out.

I will say that making reservations in eastern WA when a weekend or holiday starts looking nasty seems to be the best guarantee for model improvements. If we cancel for next week on Monday... that will be 5 times in a row that it improved so much that it was not worth it to leave town and we decided to cancel. I hate leaving town when its nice here. :)