August 2018 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Geos

Is that why 2010 and 2011 were such awful fire seasons? Not to mention the horrific fires during the cool summers of the 1950s and 60s.

What he’s saying might be true for current years when we are generally bone dry and warmer than average in the months leading up to summer. Then when you finally get a small cool down things blow up. But looking historically there is a clear correlation with cooler, wetter summers/calmer fire seasons and hotter, drier summers/more severe fire seasons. That should be sort of a no brainer.

Yeah, in general hotter and drier summers have worst fire seasons, especially if you combine that with a dry spring.

Thunderstorms are almost always a given east of the Cascades sometime during the summer, so that's one trigger for the fires. I think what he's trying to get at is we want cooler weather as a way to combat the wildfires but in turn it could create new wildfires because of the lightning and also spread it with more wind.

Euro is back to showing a crash Friday. But the more progressive ULL ultimately means a warmer pattern in the long range.

#livebythesworddiebythesword

Then it will show some warmth in the short range with only a few days cool down which even those will overachieve.  In other words it's all going to magically wash away.

Yeah, in general hotter and drier summers have worst fire seasons, especially if you combine that with a dry spring.

Thunderstorms are almost always a given east of the Cascades sometime during the summer, so that's one trigger for the fires. I think what he's trying to get at is we want cooler weather as a way to combat the wildfires but in turn it could create new wildfires because of the lightning and also spread it with more wind.

A week of cool and wet weather regionally would significantly slow down the fire season. It’s dry marine pushes and thunderstorm patterns within long term warm and dry conditions that are troublesome.

• Like 1

Smoke intensifying moving south through the valley. Was beautiful at OHSU this morning. Central Valley was getting smoky by 2-3 and the south valley looks like Mordor.

Making for a pretty sunset though.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Bozeman for breakfast... home for dinner.

Always amazed at how beautiful it is when coming over Snoqualmie Pass and down into North Bend. Its the most beautiful place in the entire drive across the country. So instantly lush with dramatic mountain peaks. Looks so incredibly lush even during our annual 8-week dry spell. :)

Everything else looks drab in comparison.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

A week of cool and wet weather regionally would significantly slow down the fire season. It’s dry marine pushes and thunderstorm patterns within long term warm and dry conditions that are troublesome.

Unfortunately that's not going to happen anytime soon. Maybe a month from now that could become a possibility.

We did have a thermal trough develop overhead/just to the east, but the whole setup is driven by that ULL. It was also responsible for yesterday's flat gradients & overachieving warmth.

Definitely helps to have lower pressure over the offshore waters. Starting tomorrow we'll see a little more of a diurnal increase in gradients. Should offset things a little.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

So smoky I can't even see the stars. Sad.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

It's not so much that cool downs in Western WA/OR cause thunderstorms, but that they also really kick up the winds. Often we get no lightning from this pattern, but lots of wind. The mega fires of a few years ago exploded because of really strong winds.

Also, an awful lot of our lightning storms come not from that pattern, but from storms that move up from California and move North through Eastern Oregon into Eastern Washington.

15 degrees cooler on Fri than Thu. Hope it holds.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

Big time +Jesse index on the week 2 00z EPS. Would be pretty early in the season for a longwave western trough like this.

Vortex completely evacuates Greenland.

wuyDNUG.png

unupTzT.png

• Like 1

Cool, dry, and beautiful on my last morning here. Heading to SeaTac airport in 45mins to catch my return flight to the swamp, but should have just enough time to enjoy one last smoke and a stroll under the evergreens.

Remember... EPS showed a massive trough for right now one week ago.

Nothing even remotely similar to this, though.