August 2018 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Geos

Please stop trying to paint me into a corner. My responses have been calm, and you are making a mountain out of a molehill now.

As usual with you, the best way to win is not to play.

Movie came out in 1983...was that a cool/wet summer? I don’t remember.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

So your point is that there's some uncertainty in the medium-long range? Not trying to be a **** but that just seems totally obvious.

To summarize the state of things: right now we're looking at another 4 days of hot weather followed by a "crash" down to around average with things looking uncertain beyond that point, though some degree of warmer than average is clearly favored by the models with anything cool being the least likely outcome. Obviously the specifics aren't going to be nailed down at that range.

Same point Kayla made. It's greater than normal, models have been performing poorly, and therefore there's no reason to give any high certainty to a hot outcome (as some were doing).

I'm not sure what your **** is, but it may very well apply to grossly oversimplifying my point.  ;)

A forum for the end of the world.

No... it did look like a pattern that could crash.   

I am glad to see a solid soaking rain on the 12Z ECMWF here for later this week.   And I want to enjoy what is left of summer.    September is only 3.5 weeks away.  

The models dropped the ball this past weekend. Your go-to GFS cloud model was a miss even 24 hours out. This past Saturday was supposed the socked in with clouds, but instead it was 86F and sunny. The early week forecasts must have caused some cancellations, the lake was quieter than I expected. I wouldn't trust the models this far out.

q1tXbEZ.jpg

• Like 1

It's not so much that cool downs in Western WA/OR cause thunderstorms, but that they also really kick up the winds. Often we get no lightning from this pattern, but lots of wind. The mega fires of a few years ago exploded because of really strong winds.

Also, an awful lot of our lightning storms come not from that pattern, but from storms that move up from California and move North through Eastern Oregon into Eastern Washington.

Yeah, winds are the biggest reasons for wildfires growing in size.

I've also read that wildfires can produce winds up to 10x stronger than winds surrounding them. Last week the Carr Wildfire in Northern California produced a "fire tornado" with winds in excess of 143 mph, equal to an EF-3 tornado.

Djn-6SDVAAA-vFo.jpg

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericmack/2018/08/04/fire-tornado-firenado-firewhirl-in-redding-carr-fire-once-thought-too-rare/#494e021658d2

• Like 1

NWS Portland just put out an Excessive Heat Warning.

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE

National Weather Service Portland OR

147 PM PDT Mon Aug 6 2018

...HOTTEST TEMPERATURES OF THE SEASON EXPECTED WEDNESDAY AND

THURSDAY...

. Strong high pressure will result in the hottest three days of

the season Tuesday through Thursday.

...EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 2 PM TUESDAY TO 11 PM

PDT THURSDAY...

The National Weather Service in Portland has issued an Excessive

Heat Warning, which is in effect from 2 PM Tuesday to 11 PM PDT

Thursday.

* MAXIMUM TEMPERATURES...Daytime high temperatures of 98 to 103.

Temperatures will peak near 100 degrees on Tuesday, then above

100 for Wednesday and Thursday. Timing of peak heating will be

between 3 and 6 PM. It will be warmest in urban areas.

* MINIMUM TEMPERATURES...Overnight lows of 60 to 67, but the

nighttime cooling will be slow. Temperatures will be around 80

at 10 pm, around 75 at midnight, and cool below 70 around 2 AM.

The coolest temperatures will occur around 5 AM. It will be

warmest in urban areas.

* HEAT INDEX VALUES...Dewpoint temperatures in the low 60s will

result in temperatures feeling slightly warmer than they are on

Wednesday and Thursday. The Heat Index will be 102 to 104.

* IMPACTS...The heat and humidity may cause heat stress especially

with the limited relief at night. Heat stress is also possible

for livestock and outdoor pets.

Jesse will believe it when he sees it.

The operational GFS (pwning all other models and its own ensembles since spring, as of this morning) has definitely moved in a troughier direction for early next week since yesterday.

I'm an idiot for pointing this out and suggesting anything but more heat is possible, of course.

A forum for the end of the world.

Model Riding is about to begin! prepare for an unforgettable Alien encounter!  annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd This portion of the message has been brought to you by XS tech. preparing others to seize the future! Remember if it can't be done with XS then it shouldn't be done at all! https://youtu.be/WshFZcSva6oWDW Martian Tribute. 

Published on Oct 5, 2011

SUBSCRIBE 12K

Full monitor preshow, full SIR & Skippy preshow (multi angle) and complete main show (multi angle) with video screen closeups. Full source audio for whole video.

Published on Oct 5, 2011

SUBSCRIBE 12K

From what I can tell there weren’t a lot of fire starts detected from the mountain convection the last few days, and there was actually beneficial rain on a few fires (like the Miriam fire near White Pass).

Of course more could crop up as the hot weather builds this week.

• Like 1

Welp, it was fun while it lasted. Walked out of the terminal and the humidity hit me like a brick wall. Instantly drenched in sweat.

Will upload pics/vids tonight since I’m still lagged on west coast time.

Pics of you be instantly drenched in sweat! Signing off for a couple days

From what I can tell there weren’t a lot of fire starts detected from the mountain convection the last few days, and there was actually beneficial rain on a few fires (like the Miriam fire near White Pass).

Of course more could crop up as the hot weather builds this week.

The ones near bend had a lot of rain associated with them, so that makes sense.

I don't know how accurate this map is but this is the 12z EURO column carbon monoxide map. It's basically showing the carbon monoxide released into the atmosphere during forest fires and/or large brush fires. It's showing the highest levels of carbon monoxide coming up from the south Thursday overnight into Friday. The good news is a push of cooler air comes in time for the weekend to remove all the smoke at the moment. us_model-en-087-0_modez_2018080612_90_1256_504(2).pngus_model-en-087-0_modez_2018080612_93_1256_504.png