August 2018 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Geos

Of course there hasn't been a whole lot of either.

Not over the last month... but summer is really short here and its almost over just when it gets started.

This was the story just a few short weeks ago:

What luck?   It's rained on nearly every Saturday in Seattle since the start of April

SEATTLE -- The first day of the week is called Sunday but perhaps the final day of the week should change its name from Saturday to Rainday?At least in Seattle, it might not be a bad idea.Believe it or not, it has rained at some point on 11 of the past 13.

https://komonews.com/weather/scotts-weather-blog/what-luck-its-rained-on-nearly-every-saturday-in-seattle-since-the-start-of-april

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I agree w/ Jesse. The dog days of summer are easily the worst time of the year. You can’t do anything outside unless you live near water and own a boat.

I agree w/ Jesse. The dog days of summer are easily the worst time of the year. You can’t do anything outside unless you live near water and own a boat.

Of course, I never said that. July and August are generally some of my favorite months. The unbroken weeks of heat and smoke in recent years is not representative of the long term norm.

When it is like this it definitely sucks, but that doesn’t mean I hate summer.

• Like 1

Euro shows more onshore flow for the midweek period than the 00z or yesterday’s 12z.

Yes. 

For example... the new 12Z ECMWF shows 90 at PDX next Wednesday while the 00Z run showed 92.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Of course, I never said that. July and August are generally some of my favorite months. The unbroken weeks of heat and smoke in recent years is not representative of the long term norm.

When it is like this it definitely sucks, but that doesn’t mean I hate summer.

Agreed.

And he is, of course, projecting his swamp climate on the PNW as usual.   

Agreed.

And he is, of course, projecting his swamp climate on the PNW as usual.

It was hot in Leavenworth for the first 2 days I was there, and I didn’t enjoy it either. I assume it will feel similar in Portland during the upcoming heatwave.

The relatively cool evenings are a different story, but when it’s 100 degrees it always feels hot with or without humidity. It’s just less sweaty and heat-strokey.

• Like 1

Still at 80F in Springfield. 96 is looking less and less likely.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Such a bizarre setup. Looking at the 500mb pattern leading up to this you would think we were lined for more energy dropping down from the north with offshore ridging. But instead it is all shunted east as the offshore ridge turns huge and broad, merging somewhat with the four corners high over our region.

attachicon.gif282ED76B-3B2B-4998-BEF2-1B58F91B1684.png

when their are sick minded elites at the top playing God with the weather thru various means possible

(HARRP) SBX microwave beams.etc it's not 'mysterious' as you put it.   Look up Owning The Weather 2025 which also ties with Agenda 2030. their Frankenstein project is now out of control as nobody can have absolute power.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJBBlntDtEU

https://www.google.com/search?q=sbx-1+weather+modification&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=tEtwpEUU5_9nBM%253A%252CFyq9lCYXjh0DtM%252C_&usg=AFrqEzeX4xTSSc6czgfEnzqaAbTpEOrSvw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj0jt6d59vcAhUIx58KHX-ICs4Q9QEwE3oECAUQCg#imgrc=tEtwpEUU5_9nBM:

these are small potatoes compared to their end goals. you all keep electing bozos so we kinda deserve this crap.

• Like 1

Warming, then some cooling, then warming again.

- Dewey

It’s always doing one or the other.

- Dewey

Global SSTAs in 2016/17/18 2017 to open August. There’s a trend, but it’s going the “wrong” way. ;)

Check out the flip across NE-Canada and a large part of the high latitudes. Weakening WPAC warm pool too. All of these are good trends for cold lovers in the long run, should they continue.

tdYFoP3.gif

86 with N12 at SEA.

Last summer... the north wind was the culprit for inundating us with smoke.    Right now its keeping us clear.

Much better this way since the wind is usually out of the north on our really nice summer days in Seattle.

86 with N12 at SEA.

Last summer... the north wind was the culprit for inundating us with smoke. Right now its keeping us clear.

Much better this way since the wind is usually out of the north on our really nice summer days in Seattle.

there is a lot of smoke building in the B.C. interior. I just talked to my mom up there and it is really bad today. If this pattern held it could turn smoky in short order.

there is a lot of smoke building in the B.C. interior. I just talked to my mom up there and it is really bad today. If this pattern held it could turn smoky in short order.

Looks like the BC interior could get some good rains this weekend at least.

I can see the smoke up there in the BC interior on the visible satellite... but if you run the loop you can see that its not coming this way.

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/?parms=subregional-Pac_NW-02-48-0-100

86 with N12 at SEA.

Last summer... the north wind was the culprit for inundating us with smoke.    Right now its keeping us clear.

Yep, and exactly why the changes to the N/NW of the sensor at the airport have led to warmer highs in relation to rest of region, compared to decades past.

A forum for the end of the world.

I'm over on the peninsula, really smoky here...

Can clearly see the smoke from that fire over there on the satellite... its heading actually out to the southwest towards the coast.  

Yep, and exactly why the changes to the N/NW of the sensor at the airport have led to warmer highs in relation to rest of region, compared to decades past.

Luckily they discovered that the sensor at SEA is actually running colder than reality... offsetting some of that UHI.   :)