August 2018 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Geos

Oh, I don't know about you being #1. Season ticket holder since the late 80's. Been to bowl games in Shreveport, El Paso, San Diego, San Antonio, LA, Las Vegas, Tempe and Seattle. 2 Rose Bowls and the BCS Championship in Glendale.

Regular season games at Michigan, Virginia, Oklahoma and Tennessee. The latter was the best thunderstorm I have ever witnessed (keeping it weather related)

You've definitely gotten me beat on the bowl games. I've been to a few; a couple of rose bowls, the BCS championship, a Holiday bowl, and one Fiesta Bowl. Bowl games are really expensive though, and wish I could have attended more.

I've had season tickets on and off, but can always find a ticket if I want to go. Been going to games since the start of the Chris Miller era. I was there for the pick as well. Good times.  :D

Quite the trough towards the end of the euro BABFAFB4-4D78-4628-88F9-FE051B53D4C5.png

At least 0.2 for everybody from EUG to Vancouver BC.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Rained hard a good portion of the night here and still raining. Was not expecting this solid of a convergence to set up.

The ECMWF showed this all along... I thought it might be wrong this time.

I think it rained (or drizzled) here most of the night as well and its still going.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

So is it bingeworthy? I watched the first episode and didn't really get hooked. Maybe I should watch a couple more..

Did you watch season 1?  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Just the first episode of season 1... So it's good enough to continue...?

If the first episode of season 1 did not hook you then its probably not for you.    I think its one of the best shows on Netflix.

It was so good, Tim took a vacation to the Ozarks.

Several of our extended family members watched it last summer and I am sure it was part of the reason we checked it out and then ended up there this summer.  

It is also why I was expecting to be much more backwoods and hillbilly there... but it did not feel like that at all.  

Everything is trending Jesse’s way now..EPS moved troughier for week-2. By the time the pattern retrogrades, summer will be over.

EPS moved troughier for week-2. By the time the pattern retrogrades, summer will be over.

There has definitely been a noticeable trend toward prolonging the generally troughy pattern. A few days ago I thought it was basically a foregone conclusion we would start heating up again after the first week of September.

This is great news, because the deeper into September troughing sticks around, the better the odds we finally score a regional soaking. If we could manage a widespread inch or so of rain, whatever ridging comes afterward would be infinitely more enjoyable.

I know we just had a large geomagnetic storm, but the southwest expansion of the Arctic/Greenland cold pool into west-central Canada (down into the Alberta-BC-Alaska area) just screams solar minimum. It’s one of the cornerstones of low solar autumns, really.

Where-as solar maximum years love to have a large vortex in the GOA with the cold pool displaced or consolidated towards Greenland/northwest Eurasia.

• Like 1

I know we just had a large geomagnetic storm, but the southwest expansion of the Arctic/Greenland cold pool into west-central Canada (down into the Alberta-BC-Alaska area) just screams solar minimum. It’s one of the cornerstones of low solar autumns, really.

Where-as solar maximum years love to have a large vortex in the GOA with the cold pool displaced or consolidated towards Greenland/northwest Eurasia.

Also related, that sexy rex block near Alaska.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

The Pacific and Atlantic are still in opposing states.

The +PMM is still expressed clearly, sustained by the eastward-displacement of the IPWP and +NAM, which again renders the PDO dormant. Meanwhile, the Atlantic/IO continue to match the structure of an emerging cold phase, in a +MM z-cell mode (broad meridional structure with enhanced seasonality by latitude).

cdas-sflux_ssta_global_1.png

Yuck, ensembles flipped back to pretty strong ridging the middle of next week.

Models always seem to struggle mightily in September with tropical activity and the seasonal change causing issues.

I'm ready for fall, bring it. It would be cool to see one of these anomalously deep troughs actually come to fruition instead of being obliterated as has been the case for the last few.

Same here. The good news is that each passing day brings us closer and closer to both Fall and Winter. The sun angle gets lower and lower now and daylight lessens as well. It might take a few tries but we should get a nice nationwide rainstorm within the next month or so.

Same here. The good news is that each passing day brings us closer and closer to both Fall and Winter. The sun angle gets lower and lower now and daylight lessens as well. It might take a few tries but we should get a nice nationwide rainstorm within the next month or so.

??

Even Southern California and Arizona?    ;)