September 2018 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

TigerWoodsLibido

I have access to the verification scores (will see if I can find a way to post them).

I’ll put it this way..the difference between the FV3-GFS and ECMWF is actually larger than the difference between the old GFS and the FV3-GFS. The aggregate of all improvements was relatively small, all things considered.

Well, that's disappointing. But not surprising. Would have been monumental if the new GFS somehow managed to leap frog the Euro.

Though of course, it's worth noting that the FV3 is an experimental model and is being tested in development of the actual official next version of the GFS. They're still trying to work out the bugs, so to speak.

A forum for the end of the world.

Well, that's disappointing. But not surprising. Would have been monumental if the new GFS somehow managed to leap frog the Euro.

Though of course, it's worth noting that the FV3 is an experimental model and is being tested in development of the actual official next version of the GFS. They're still trying to work out the bugs, so to speak.

I am surprised that we still have weather models in the US.    I thought Trump would just be dictating what the weather will do by now... and promising us that it will always be beautiful and attacking Mother Nature and NWS employees for fake news when its anything other than beautiful.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I am surprised that we still have weather models in the US.    I thought Trump would just be dictating what the weather will do by now... and promising us that it will always be beautiful and attacking Mother Nature and NWS employees for fake news when its anything other than beautiful.  

That's what this convo was lacking...a political spin!

A forum for the end of the world.

I am surprised that we still have weather models in the US. I thought Trump would just be dictating what the weather will do by now... and promising us that it will always be beautiful and attacking Mother Nature and NWS employees for fake news when its anything other than beautiful.

Is he okay? Whenever he has been on TV recently, his speech seems slurred?

Much of that was not friendly discussion... you just let it rip. And I have not said anything at all until now and did not show what you have written over the years. It just seems dishonest though when you mock me in public forum and try to pretend you are above all of this.

BS. I have tried again and again to find common ground with you via PM. You are being unbelievable right now.

BS. I have tried again and again to find common ground with you via PM. You are being unbelievable right now.

To be fair... you have also done that.

But you run really hot at times.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

12z ensembles look coolish and wettish. 

Still feels like the potential for a continued torch is there the next few weeks, though. A lot of it seems to depend on whether the amplified ridge offshore cuts off and floats toward the pole. That seems to be a common theme in the warmer solutions.

12Z ECMWF is basically dry from Everett to Eugene through Monday at least... and the offshore ULL is moving into northern CA with rain down there on Monday afternoon.  

Wow, below zero readings with that cold shot next week!

gfs_T2m_nwus_29.png

Cascades get in on the snow action on this run.

gfs_asnow_nwus_41.png

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

This current and upcoming pattern is quite similar to last year at this time. Kind of bizarre that we have somehow defaulted back to it again.

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

U need 2 move closer to the airport. Only 71 there.

So, sacrifice half of my snow and double my rent? Lol.

But yeah, living in a forested river gorge surrounded by water on three sides certainly doesn’t help us in the dewpoint department.

12Z GFS is much drier through Wednesday morning compared to the last the couple runs.

And then shows a very wet system arriving one week from today! Looks like the 18Z run yesterday.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_nwus_32.png

12Z ECMWF is just a little bit drier on Wednesday than the 12Z GFS...

ecmwf_precip_06_nw_31.png

ecmwf_tcloud_nw_31.png

In all seriousness, why don’t you move out here? You always seem to really enjoy your visits out this way!

It’s actually a possibility once I finish school.

Half of my extended family already lives out there, and I’d never have to worry about heat or humidity again.

• Like 1

Please stop this nonsense, Tim.

You keep it going.

Don't say that its all equal and I randomly launch into expletive-laced tirades like you do to me.

Just drop it.

Is he okay? Whenever he has been on TV recently, his speech seems slurred?

I’ve noticed that as well. And he’s gained weight.

I have a feeling that he might not make it through a second term.

12z ensembles look coolish and wettish.

Still feels like the potential for a continued torch is there the next few weeks, though. A lot of it seems to depend on whether the amplified ridge offshore cuts off and floats toward the pole. That seems to be a common theme in the warmer solutions.

This has been an exceptionally difficult pattern for me to attempt to predict. But if I were to wager, I’d be more worried about a torch pattern developing sometime next month, and sticking around for 3-4 weeks before yielding to a potential Arctic event during the middle or later part of November.

Every potential analog year I can find (except 1994/95) featured cold troughing across NW-North America during November and/or December.

And 1994/95 is a terrible polar-stratosphere analog (dearth of O^3 with an extremely weak BDC, following Pinatubo). If we repeated 1994/95 with today’s stratosphere, it would probably turn out much different.

• Like 1

12Z ECMWF is nice... basically dry for the next 10 days and turning warm again next week.

Way more rain in Redding CA than in North Bend WA. :)

Its shows 1.3 inches of rain in the next 10 days in San Jose and barely .10 here in the same period.

Lots of rain for Arizona! Nice to see NorCal get a good soaking as well.

http://i65.tinypic.com/20j4tpu.png

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Lots of rain for Arizona! Nice to see NorCal get a good soaking as well.

http://i65.tinypic.com/20j4tpu.png

Way more rain in San Diego and Phoenix than here!

Impressive for this time of year.

Lots of low cloud grayness this morning...feels pretty textbook late September. Took the pic this morning before work. Been working in the yard for about two hours each evening before dark and continuing to cut back the jungle that was my overgrown landscaping. It’s amazing how much more light it’s allowing into the house.

74830A0D-DBCE-4ED7-BE86-1B6D870AE0D5.jpeg

0ACB0C22-6771-4242-A3CF-0D16BE392471.jpeg

• Like 3

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

We have a pretty strong +IOD right now. Even without a coherent niño signal in terms of ONI/niño 3.4, this SSTA configuration (cold Indo-Pacific, warm W-IO/dateline) Will favor a niño-esque forcing structure as the cold season wavetrain matures.

Arrows I drew indicate anomalous upward/downward motion (z-component). Not the zonal/meridional ones.

0G298jU.jpg

Lots of low cloud grayness this morning...feels pretty textbook late September. Took the pic this morning before work. Been working in the yard for about two hours each evening before dark and continuing to cut back the jungle that was my overgrown landscaping. It’s amazing how much more light it’s allowing into the house.

Sunny from the start here... deep blue sky and 64 now.   :)

Are the sick trees in the background (on the 1st photo) on your property?

If so, then I’d recommend pruning or removing them before they come down.

Impressive seeing all that rain forecasted in the southwest from a tropical system. 

GFS drives the low right over Phoenix at 138 hours at 985 mb. 

A fairly windy system still.

gfs_mslp_wind_swus_24.png

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Impressive seeing all that rain forecasted in the southwest from a tropical system. 

GFS drives the low right over Phoenix at 138 hours at 985 mb. 

A fairly windy system still.

gfs_mslp_wind_swus_24.png

AZ hasn't had a tropical storm since Nora in 1997.  At face value that would probably be the strongest tropical system on record in that region.