October 2018 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Tyler Mode

So I am hearing if we have a cold October and a Nino we are screwed.

But if we just have a warm neutral combined with a cold October we are in business...

Also hearing it is unclear whether we will have a Nino or just a warm neutral winter. 

Thus I do not know if I want a cold October or a warm one!

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

But if we just have a warm neutral combined with a cold October we are in business...

Also hearing it is unclear whether we will have a Nino or just a warm neutral winter. 

I was going to say this last night but decided it was not worth the battle.   :lol:

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I'm going with a wait-and-see approach. Similar to the last 43 winters during my lifetime.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

It’ll come down to a couple tenths of a degree of the ocean temps out in the central pacific, as to whether or not it snows here this winter.

The suspense is killing me.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Strange how obsessed this place is with imaginary correlations.

It’s pretty simple in this case. Phase 8/1 MJO/convection is relatively common in +ENSO regimes, and during September and October, that favors western troughing given the seasonal cycle of the wavetrain.

dTJj95O.jpg

Long story short, it’s just typical +ENSO-ish behavior, and the fate of winter will *not* be determined by whether the trimonthly ONI reaches +0.5C, or falls just short by a fraction of a degree. :)

Wet water year here... 10-15 inches above normal per this map!   

Side note... SEA ended up +1.82 inches for the water year so not sure why it shows below normal there on this map.  

anomimage.gif

Probably because it's based off multiple stations in that area.

I know, that doesn't fit with the "SEA has been WAY drier than everywhere else" theory.  ;)

A forum for the end of the world.

We're going to be looking at a 9/20 - 10/10 period that is pretty chilly. Regardless of ENSO, that is historically correlated to some pretty good winters.

Strange how obsessed this place is with imaginary correlations.

It’s pretty simple in this case. Phase 8/1 MJO/convection is relatively common in +ENSO regimes, and during September and October, that favors western troughing given the seasonal cycle of the wavetrain.

Not gonna get into this with you again, Phil. But very real correlations have been posted on here plenty of times before, and you've dismissed them because you didn't agree with how they were reached.

But they are still existing correlations. That's all. No less real than the October correlations you've posted about.  :)

Beautiful 69F in Eugene/Springfield. Expected to get to 42 tonight so nice and chilly.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Not gonna get into this with you again, Phil. But very real correlations have been posted on here plenty of times before, and you've dismissed them because you didn't agree with how they were reached.

But they are still existing correlations. That's all. No less real than the October correlations you've posted about. :)

Negatory. There is no October - Winter correlation that isn’t explained by ENSO or other lower frequency forcings that reside beneath the scale of intraseasonal variance. This is a fact, and denying it won’t change reality.

For instance, in years with a belated seasonal ITCZ/MMC cycles and/or transitioning QBOs (like last year) there is actually an *inverse* correlation between the structure of the October wavetrain and the structure of the midwinter wavetrain over North America. In other cases, there is indeed a positive correlation. But the point is that there are decipherable reasons for these correlations and they’re not confined to any particular calandar month.

Probably because it's based off multiple stations in that area.

I know, that doesn't fit with the "SEA has been WAY drier than everywhere else" theory.  ;)

I never said SEA was way drier than everywhere else.   

But here are some 2017-18 "water year" rainfall departures:

SEA  +1.82

SEA WFO  +5.24

OLM   +2.51

BLI  +1.57

HQM  +1.55

I am not seeing a major station up here with that was drier than normal for the water year.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

For example, I can select years with phase-8 forcing in October, and get an inverse correlation for DJF.

jrQMni4.png

wPyWDM6.png

Ben Noll@BenNollWeather

After the exceptional eastern early October warmth fades, some chillier conditions are likely, but milder air may be back in time for November. Cold in the Plains, early snows northern tier?

https://mobile.twitter.com/BenNollWeather/status/1046902542217576448

Ben Noll also thinks that 2016-17 should be a very warm winter for the Northwestern states in particular.

• Like 1

I never said SEA was way drier than everywhere else.

But here are some 2017-18 "water year" rainfall departures:

SEA +1.82

SEA WFO +5.24

OLM +2.51

BLI +1.57

HQM +1.55

I am not seeing a major station up here with that was drier than normal for the water year.

Wonder if the baseline is different for the WRCC maps?

For example, I can select years with phase-8 forcing in October, and get an inverse correlation for DJF.

jrQMni4.png

wPyWDM6.png

But does this mean anything? No, it doesn’t.

Not only does the same phase-8 MJO forcing produce a completely different pattern in January when compared to October, but there’s no guarantee that the aforementioned MJO forcing in October will emulate the midwinter background state from a structural standpoint. There are so many outliers that you can’t even obtain a ration EOF within a reasonable correlation coefficient on the aggregate.

Wonder if the baseline is different for the WRCC maps?

If so... then the maps make it look drier.

Meaning my area might be more 15 inches above normal for the 2017-18 water year.    Its been really wet!    Do my trees need more than 15 inches above the normal rainfall to survive?         Jesse said they are about to start a massive die off.   

Only 8.5 inches of rain here since the second week of September.   The land is parched.    :lol:

Nah, I didn't bother getting into the actual correlations because I know he won't listen.

With all due respect, I think you’re the one that refuses to listen when I point out flaws in your analysis.

For instance, if you lump all ENSOs together, you will obtain a bogus result that simply reflects ENSO.

To determine whether the pattern in October is predictive of the pattern in DJF, you need to determine the correlation coefficient (assuming there is a homogenous EOF structure to begin with) independent of ENSO et al.

Time to throw some extra logs in the wood stove!

Such a chilly fall!

People need to realize that that word means nothing now. PDX had a high of 52 on this date in 1940. And that was in a blowtorch year!

Those days are long gone and that will remain the case regardless of how slightly below average the next 10 days are.

• Like 2

For those living in the sopping wet areas... the dry days per the 12Z ECMWF include:

Wednesday

Thursday

Saturday 

Sunday (except the NW interior)

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Plan accordingly!  

The wet days shown on the 12Z run are this Friday and next Monday and Tuesday.   

Ben Noll also thinks that 2016-17 should be a very warm winter for the Northwestern states in particular.

Model-ology is an enticing trap.

Pretty colors!