October 2018 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Tyler Mode

We had an amazing summer by your standards, right? Yet you still find a way to insult those who would enjoy some fall troughing. Jeez

Trolling?

For the record ... summer was pretty crappy here in June and way too smoky in August. I would have preferred a couple good rain events in July and August. Then it rained on 19 days in September... almost 9 inches since Labor Day. Way above normal. Some ridging would be nice... that is sincere.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Trolling?

For the record ... summer was pretty crappy here in June and way too smoky in August. I would have preferred a couple good rain events in July and August. Then it rained on 19 days in September... almost 9 inches since Labor Day. Way above normal. Some ridging would be nice... that is sincere.

If the persistent ridging we had this summer won't satisfy, I'm not sure what will be enough for you here. I understand you have a somewhat unique microclimate, but it is hard to image we can do much better (worse) from a high level pattern perspective.

• Like 1

If the persistent ridging we had this summer won't satisfy, I'm not sure what will be enough for you here. I understand you have a somewhat unique microclimate, but it is hard to image we can do much better (worse) from a high level pattern perspective.

Too extreme in July and August. I am not a fan of extreme hot and dry.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Why look forward to Newport Beach? All you're going to do is sit on a phone and hope for even warmer weather while looking through a window.

#weirdvacations

Its been wet and cold.   Ready for a break.

And we were outside all day yesterday.    ;)

Back in June a massive thunder storm passed by my cabin property and did major damage to trees in about a 2 square mile area. I lost 63 trees on my 20 acre piece of land but 3 miles away on my 160 acre piece didn't even loose a branch. The ridge accross from my cabin was hit very hard as pics show the damage. I was not up there but my weather station recorded a 70mph gust and it is not in a favorable place for a good wind reading. Pretty sure it was a micro burst or a tornado. The main road into my place and a few other properties had 80 trees over road in about a mile strech. I had to clear the road with my excavator. All the pics inside my cabin fell on the floor. Must of been one hell of a storm.

20180629_182014.jpg

20180629_113043.jpg

20180630_155139.jpg

20180629_112515.jpg

20180629_112648.jpg

• Like 8

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

No, I'm over your incessant, nonsensical drivel about how dry it's been. 

:lol:

OK.   

No idea why you would pick on a comment about SEA when I was there this morning.     It has been a relative desert lately compared to other areas up here.  

Eastern Wa needs rain. Was up at my property hunting and the forest is very very dry. Thank god for the forest service for responding to a tree on our land that was struck by lighting. A plane spotted it and they got there in time before it could spread.

• Like 1

Still some hope of the westerlies moving in around or after day 10 based on the hour 240 frame, though.

Oh god not back to the rug-pull inside 8 days.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Oh god not back to the rug-pull inside 8 days.

Yeah, definitely don’t like seeing it get pushed back.

The ridge starting later this week morphed from a 2-4 day deal to a 6-8 day behemoth the last couple days. Hopefully that trend stops soon.

• Like 1

Back in June a massive thunder storm passed by my cabin property and did major damage to trees in about a 2 square mile area. I lost 63 trees on my 20 acre piece of land but 3 miles away on my 160 acre piece didn't even loose a branch. The ridge accross from my cabin was hit very hard as pics show the damage. I was not up there but my weather station recorded a 70mph gust and it is not in a favorable place for a good wind reading. Pretty sure it was a micro burst or a tornado. The main road into my place and a few other properties had 80 trees over road in about a mile strech. I had to clear the road with my excavator. All the pics inside my cabin fell on the floor. Must of been one hell of a storm.

That’s definitely a microburst, and a pretty good one at that. The structure of the tree damage is a dead giveaway. I’d estimate 85-95mph assuming the trees’ cores were not compromised.

We see microbursts very frequently here, and the damage pattern is distinct, even from straight line winds, given the intense vertical pressure gradient that develops in such events. Though most native trees have developed adaptive measures to deal with these storms, imported trees and landscape trees will display the same damage characteristics as those in your photos.

Trolling?

So what I've gathered is that you'll never be happy. Noted

:lol:

OK.   

No idea why you would pick on a comment about SEA when I was there this morning.     It has been a relative desert lately compared to other areas up here.  

SEA is more reflective of the area than you. This has been well established for you.

It's more like your place has been a relative rain forest compared to most of the region. As usual.

A forum for the end of the world.

So what I've gathered is that you'll never be happy. Noted

Not happy about extreme heat and smoke. Sorry.

Also don't want rain all summer either.

Very strange preferences... I know.   Like asking if you want to die of heat stroke or hypothermia and if you don't want either than you are being difficult. :)

That looks like a microburst. Did you see any hints of structural damage in the area?

No rrally any damage cabins or houses. I talked to a local that has lived there since 1977 and he said he had never seen anything like it. He told me he at one point the thought crossed his mind that he may not make it thru the night.
  • Like 1

Another factor could be the direction of the wind. If it was different than than the “normal” direction for strong winds there, the trees will probably respond poorly.

For instance, a 45mph SE wind here would likely bring down tens of thousands of trees, while a 70mph NW wind might not drop a single tree, since they grow to deal with strong NW winds from a very young age, but can go decades without a SE wind topping 30mph.

He swings... and he misses!

Honestly... he be will praising the beautiful weather next weekend despite complaining about it now.    I have seen him do this many times.   Chilly mornings and warm afternoons with sunshine with fall colors getting closer to peaking will not be that bad.  

Honestly... he be will praising the beautiful weather next weekend despite complaining about it now. I have seen him do this many times. Chilly mornings and warm afternoons with sunshine with fall colors getting closer to peaking will not be that bad.

Just because I try to see the good in a ridgy period as it’s happening doesn’t mean it would be my first choice. We can only wish you would take that approach to cool and rainy weather.

Just because I try to see the good in a ridgy period doesn’t mean it would be my first choice. We can only wish you would take that approach to cool and rainy weather.

I literally just said some more rain in July and August would have been nice. Its been really wet since. A break would be nice now here.