March 2019 Observations and Discussion

Tom

I am honestly pissed off right now. The national news has NOTHING about the flooding going on in Nebraska, it's absolutely absurd and a disgrace to their credibility. Last time I checked Nebraska was part of the United States, and their residents are also US Citizens. This is a disaster for several parts of the state, and yet, no word. It's ridiculous.

Uh I mean the Eastern Seaboard is the only part of the country that exists sooooooo :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

I am honestly pissed off right now. The national news has NOTHING about the flooding going on in Nebraska, it's absolutely absurd and a disgrace to their credibility. Last time I checked Nebraska was part of the United States, and their residents are also US Citizens. This is a disaster for several parts of the state, and yet, no word. It's ridiculous.

“Nothing” is a bit of a stretch.. pulled links from all different kinds of sources..

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2019/03/15/us/ap-us-winter-weather-the-latest.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/weather/7-first-responders-rescued-after-boat-capsized-1-dead-as-floodwaters-inundate-nebraska.amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/03/15/us/weather-friday-wxc/index.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.breitbart.com/news/nebraska-city-evacuates-amid-bomb-cyclone-flooding-tornado-danger/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.yahoo.com/amphtml/nebraska-preps-nuclear-plant-possible-flooding-no-public-163210422.html

https://weather.com/news/news/2019-03-14-flooding-severe-tornadoes-nebraska-iowa-texas

• Like 1

Flyover country doesn't rate much on the news. It's like they forget there's something between the 2 coasts.

Also, since much of the center of the country is Red, they really don't care.

Nebraska deserves some respect, They should sell their grain only to central us venders! Lol

• Like 3

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

A little disturbance is sneaking up on us tonight.  There may be some accumulating snow from Cedar Rapids to the Quad Cities and across northern Illinois and Indiana.  Someone may get lucky and get a few inches.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Can anyone explain why I may have such a large temperature difference between my house and the DBQ airport? Sometimes it’s pretty close, but right now it’s about 6 degrees different. I have 3 different instruments that confirm it’s 38 at my house (32 at the airport) and they’re all in the shade, so it’s not like sunlight is boosting that.

Flyover country doesn't rate much on the news. It's like they forget there's something between the 2 coasts.

Also, since much of the center of the country is Red, they really don't care.

Nebraska deserves some respect, that or they should sell their grain only to central us venders! Lol

I don't think politics has to do with a lower populous state receiving national attention.  I've seen many national news orgs covering this.  

• Like 1

But we all know this would be a much bigger deal if this happened on the east coast

Yeah there’s no doubt about that. But I mean it’s been covered. It is what it is, though. I’m not sure why people care about the national coverage on it anyway, unless it’s negatively impacting the recovery efforts.

Yeah there’s no doubt about that. But I mean it’s been covered. It is what it is, though. I’m not sure why people care about the national coverage on it anyway, unless it’s negatively impacting the recovery efforts.

Just shows the bias the MSM has in middle America. They constantly ignore us

• Like 2

The last couple euro runs have backed off the warmth later next week.  It had been predicting well into the 60s for a few days, but it's back down to the low to mid 50s due to stronger nw flow disturbances preventing any extreme warmth from shooting in from the plains.  That's fine, though.  Anything over 50 is decent for now.

• Like 1

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Just to add this to the general discussion on March weather and refer to the snow bomb that hit.

This is a video of the avalanches in Colo. they've had 472 avalanches so far.

Some of these are amazing.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-47559181/why-is-colorado-having-so-many-avalanches

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

I cannot believe what I did tonight.  I got so focused on a computer game that I totally forgot about the snow.  I just ended my game and noticed some 1-2" reports.  I looked outside and, yep, all white.  I am super PO'd at myself.  I measured an average of 2 inches.  It is so clumpy it's not easy to measure.  The flakes must have been massive.  And I didn't see a single flake of it.  ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  On top of that, 2 inches puts my season total at 49.9".  That'll probably be it for the season, too.

Update:  There's a 3" report from Hiawatha, which doesn't surprise me because the best radar returns passed just north of me.

• Like 4

Happy St. Patty's Day!  The weak Clipper-like system traversing the region is dropping some decent snows across N IL this morning.  Snowfall rates are mod to heavy at times across the southern CWA.  I'm actually glad to be missing out on the snow as I washed my car yesterday knowing that the work week will be dry.  Looking forward to an extended period of drier weather, albeit cool.  Temps holding near the seasonal norms (upper 40's/low 50's) through the work week but with the sunshine it should feel good.

Tab1FileL.png?7225f33895a655a6e9a76d4c9a

Today, marks the first day of this Spring where the sunrise (6:59am) and sunset (6:59pm) will be equally apart and exactly hold 12 hours of daylight.  #SignsofSpring

The post "Bomb" cyclone NW Flow pattern should continue through the remainder of this week and keep any real Spring-like weather at bay, esp around here.  I've mentioned to look for a strong clipper to traverse the northern tier on or before the Spring Solstice period and the models are beginning to show it tracking through the eastern GL's/Ontario region.  Next weekend there's a chance we may pop temps near 60F and then our attn will turn towards the SW as a S Plains storm should be taking shape and kick start a very active period to finish off this wild month of March.  In like a Lion....out like a Lamb Lion???

00z Euro is seeing the next big storm system to effect the Plains states next weekend and is looking quite wet...

My thoughts are holding firm that any appreciable and sustained warmth will not show up this month and will likely have to wait till April.  The 00z EPS has the right idea as it is now trending towards a -EPO and massive NW NAMER ridge.  Why do I believe it is right???  Look at the 10mb heights off the 00z GEFS...this screams to look for an Alaskan/NW NAMER ridge.

gfs-ens_Tz10_nhem_21.png

How long does it last....????  Well, it looks like we will open April a bit chilly...not the news many are looking for but fits the LRC quite well.  If this type of pattern develops in the Strat, we could see the models develop more blocking across the Arctic regions.  The STJ is going to ramp up once again as we close out the last 10 days of this month.  Will the same places that saw snow from the Bomb cyclone across the Plains/Upper MW see some late season snows to finish off what has been a crazy March???  I believe so...

gfs-ens_Tz10_nhem_33.png

• Like 3

Currently sunny and nippy w temps  at 25F. Little snow fell yesterday which added to 0.5" and was not too thrilled about that. It was gone by afternoon as the Strong March sun angle destroyed it.

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

As Tom mentioned above. Today is the first day of the year with 12 hours of daylight (I know many think it is the spring and fall equinox)
https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/grand-rapids?month=3&year=2019
At this time of year we are gaining almost 3 minutes a day.

The start of this week will be on the cool side and March 2019 is still running well below average At this time the mean at Grand Rapids is 27.6° and that is -5.2° at Lansing the mean is 27.2 that is -4.9 and at Muekegon the mean is 27.5 and that is also -4.9° we shall see how the rest of March goes. So far the warmest it has gotten at Grand Rapids is just 59 the average warmest maximum for March is 67° At Lansing it touched 62 and the average March warmest maximum there is 66 and at Muskegon it reached 61 and their average March maximum is 62.

• Like 1

A little disturbance is sneaking up on us tonight.  There may be some accumulating snow from Cedar Rapids to the Quad Cities and across northern Illinois and Indiana.  Someone may get Unlucky and get a few inches.

Fixed!  Came out of work Friday about 5 pm and headed over to grab dinner from Panera. In Jackson it's only about a mile north of the office. Arrived there and it was a sideways squall of white. Was thinking about how geeked I'd be if it were November/early December. But right now, it was just plain annoying! We did get some sunny skies Saturday pm around SWMI tho temps promptly fell below freezing at dark and there was a legit WC factor all day with stiff NW flow. 

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 53.1" (90% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.3 Apr: 0.1

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = 53.1" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

I got 1.5” of snow overnight. Here it started out as grauple or little tapioca balls around 9:30pm last eve. I went to bed early as I came down with a nasty cold & I was half drugged from the medicine I took. Looked beautiful out this morning with everything frosted with snow. Probably huge flakes & no wind at one time as Hawkeye mentioned. 0.12” liquid equivalent

• Like 3

I cannot believe what I did tonight.  I got so focused on a computer game that I totally forgot about the snow.  I just ended my game and noticed some 1-2" reports.  I looked outside and, yep, all white.  I am super PO'd at myself.  I measured an average of 2 inches.  It is so clumpy it's not easy to measure.  The flakes must have been massive.  And I didn't see a single flake of it.  ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  On top of that, 2 inches puts my season total at 49.9".  That'll probably be it for the season, too.

Update:  There's a 3" report from Hiawatha, which doesn't surprise me because the best radar returns passed just north of me.

I thought your going to say that you forgot to put out your gauges.

So you disagree that many models and ensembles are showing above normal temps? You also disagree with CPC too I guess?

No, I actually agree that we're looking at above normal temps next month. Your style of posting, combined with your name, combined with the recency of your account is consistent with someone who has been trolling this board for the past month. I apologise if you end up not being him, but at the moment I believe you are.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

I thought your going to say that you forgot to put out your gauges.

No.  I got my snow board and gauge out in the evening before dark, but once I got focused on my game (Civilization IV) I just flat forgot to awake from my game torpor once in a while to check the radar/window.

• Like 1

No, I actually agree that we're looking at above normal temps next month. Your style of posting, combined with your name, combined with the recency of your account is consistent with someone who has been trolling this board for the past month. I apologise if you end up not being him, but at the moment I believe you are.

My thoughts

• Like 1

IMO, the overall temps during Week 1-2 are going to be largely be skewed by warm overnight temps as a wet pattern develops.  Daytime temps will likely not torch even though a warmer pattern develops.  IMO, this does me no good even during a "warmer" pattern.  Give me AN temps during the day and I'll consider that a Spring-like warm up.  I'm rooting for that warmth next weekend around here underneath sunny skies.

• Like 1

IMO, the overall temps during Week 1-2 are going to be largely be skewed by warm overnight temps as a wet pattern develops. Daytime temps will likely not torch even though a warmer pattern develops. IMO, this does me no good even during a "warmer" pattern. Give me AN temps during the day and I'll consider that a Spring-like warm up. I'm rooting for that warmth next weekend around here underneath sunny skies.

45 last week felt like an inferno.

• Like 1

45 last week felt like an inferno.

Oh, I’m sure it did for you guys up north. As did the Low 60’s here last week when we had the severe storms. It’s interesting how ones perception of warmth can be interpreted after being stuck in winter wx for so long. The mid/upper 50’s and sun later this week around here will feel great.

The Cedar River at Cedar Rapids has been upped a couple feet to 18.5 ft midweek.  That's a common high mark throughout history.  The big problems begin once it goes above 20 ft, so it's a good thing the rainfall up north was not heavier.