May 2019 Weather Discussion PNW

Instead of bringing the epic rain event shown on the 18z, the 00z just has the trough hanging off the coast and not really doing anything except lowering temperatures.

If it's going to be much cooler than normal, please rain hard.

Also, it shows at least a dusting of sticking snow for almost all of south-central Oregon and NE CA by hour 240. Southern Deschutes County, Klamath County, western Lake County, a good portion of Modoc, a good portion of Siskiyou, etc. Crook and Grant counties also show some sticking snow. Last several models have shown sticking snow for that area but this one shows further development.

https://tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs&region=nwus&pkg=asnowd&runtime=2019051200&fh=240

Phil, do you think central will have a chance of more t storms than usual or is it more of the same, heat heat and heat with an occasional heat spell?

Was 1997 a convective summer? I think it could wind up similar to that, perhaps a bit more amplified.

foto26446a4f1f801ef3b3d1564dea31df66.png
"Western troughing literally kills people at this time of year. And in the most gruesome of ways."

This is not the kind of weather anyone wants to see in May. Too bad this upcoming spell has to be so long lasting. So many people trying to get outdoors...

Mother Nature does not care what anyone wants lol. I don’t like 85+ degree days and some people don’t like 60 degree spring showers just gotta deal with it make the best out of the weather.
  • Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Pretty good marine push yesterday Temp dropped about 25 degrees here with some gusty SW winds. Today it’s 10 degrees cooler than this time yesterday with low clouds and 51 degrees.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

One more note on the lake level... this picture below is from last July. That sand bar is completely submerged right now. We went over there today and you can see its about 3 feet below the water surface and it will probably take until June or July to see it again. This is a natural lake... and its definitely not low right now.

40802743_1846833978718135_21611309495327

good old sand bar at lake Sammamish state park. A lot of good memories in high school down there. Even when it is really dry that lake does not go down.

Didn’t expect rain this morning. Feels refreshing. Hope it stays dry this next weekend though as my wife and I are taking our anniversary trip to Orcas Island.

Doesn’t look like this weekend will be the greatest weekend in terms of the weather with the upcoming pattern but maybe you’ll get lucky and it’ll be dry when you head up there. I was just there 2 months ago really beautiful place rain or shine.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Cloudy and cool morning in the south valley. Currently 52F. I doubt we make it to 77F but we shall see...

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

This one cloudy day has really got me down. Probably not even any record highs or new fire starts in the region, ugh. Can’t wait for the warm up!

. Dude, the upcoming period is super lousy up here. I've got about 10 days in a row of 50's with showers to get thru. I basically need mid to upper 80's in the low Idaho deserts to have any shot at 70° up here.

"Avoiding unwanted weather is a key element of happiness."

. Dude, the upcoming period is super lousy up here. I've got about 10 days in a row of 50's with showers to get thru. I basically need mid to upper 80's in the low Idaho deserts to have any shot at 70° up here.

It’s a seasonably cool pattern after a very warm pattern. You are just a whiny little b*tch that can’t handle climo.

• Like 2

Oh yes please let the long range OP 12z GFS be for real... Long range ensembles much improved from yesterday's..

Not gonna happen. Should be a 3-4 day hiatus then another ULL.

"Western troughing literally kills people at this time of year. And in the most gruesome of ways."

Pack up your tent and relocate.

• Like 1

It’s a seasonably cool pattern after a very warm pattern. You are just a whiny little b*tch that can’t handle climo.

Lol, I'm whiny. Funny coming from someone who has panic attacks when there's 2 or more 70° days in a row.

"Avoiding unwanted weather is a key element of happiness."

Average May high in Cascade, Idaho is 62ºF...

2.5ºF lower than Seattle, 6ºF lower than Portland, 7.5ºF lower than Boise.

It's a mountain climate at almost 5000' elevation. What did you expect, Tri-Cities?  :P

Lol, I'm whiny. Funny coming from someone who has panic attacks when there's 2 or more 70° days in a row.

That’s literally what you do, just inverted to 70*F or lower instead of 70*F or higher.

Although I hope the upcoming rain delays wildfire season, one thing I've heard in California is that the worst combination for wildfires is a wet May followed by a dry June, because this overgrows vegetation and then dries it out. Does the same hold true in the PNW?

Although I hope the upcoming rain delays wildfire season, one thing I've heard in California is that the worst combination for wildfires is a wet May followed by a dry June, because this overgrows vegetation and then dries it out. Does the same hold true in the PNW?

Yes in a way. It adds more fuels for the fires but it also can soak down logs and trees so there’s that. Amongst a lot of other variables.

Looks nasty the next ten days. Jesse is going to be in heaven. Rain and clouds just about every day as far as the eye can see.

Sounds like the iPhone forecast blues. In reality there will be lots of breaks. And we really need whatever rain we end up getting.