July 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Guest CulverJosh

I have tried hard to avoid commenting on his You Tube profile pic, but d**n, he looks and sounds nothing like how he types and attempts to educate!!

Link?

No he doesn’t. He hates on snow and cold when it’s in the forecast too. He seems to like mild ridging in the winter better than anything else.

I was looking at some of Cliff’s old posts as I often do.

Can confirm that he called the 1/10/17 overperforming snowstorm in Portland unfortunate: https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2017/01/major-snow-post-around-portland.html?m=0

And yeah, he definitely roots for mild ridging in winter, especially after a period of “relentless rain and wind” that lasted about a week and ended with less than 1” at PDX total: https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2019/01/a-wonderful-mid-winter-break-sunny-and.html?m=0

Can confirm that he called the 1/10/17 overperforming snowstorm in Portland unfortunate: https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2017/01/major-snow-post-around-portland.html?m=0

And yeah, he definitely roots for mild ridging in winter, especially after a period of “relentless rain and wind” that lasted about a week and ended with less than 1” at PDX total: https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2019/01/a-wonderful-mid-winter-break-sunny-and.html?m=0

To him, EUG may as well be Siberia.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

He does have a slight bias and tries to go after the mainstream media in a way. Overall his info and opinions are good for the most part in my opinion.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Not many clouds this morning..woke up to almost full sunshine but was beautiful nonetheless thanks to the low humidity and cool overnight temps.

Weird how nobody has AC here. Almost every house just has fans placed under open windows. There is something unique about this environment that (IMO) you have to experience personally to truly appreciate. It’s different than the flashy bright blue water, white sand, and coconut trees on postcards and brochures which is never as good as promised. This is more peaceful in a way. I like it.

• Like 2

Not many clouds this morning..woke up to almost full sunshine but was beautiful nonetheless thanks to the low humidity and cool overnight temps.

Weird how nobody has AC here. Almost every house just has fans placed under open windows. There is something unique about this environment that (IMO) you have to experience personally to truly appreciate. It’s different than the flashy bright blue water, white sand, and coconut trees on postcards and brochures which is never as good as promised. This is more peaceful in a way. I like it.

I imagine the cool summer nights on the West Coast feel absolutely heavenly after experiencing that heat wave back east where the nights don’t cool off. Hope you’re enjoying the beautiful PNW.

I have a/c...did at my old place as well. We set it for 66 at night and 71 during the day.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I have a/c...did at my old place as well. We set it for 66 at night and 71 during the day.

That should keep it cranking and cranking on a hot summer day. One thing I hate about Florida is that they like to put AC on 65 degrees in most public places so you are freezing inside and then going outside you step from the refrigerator into the furnace. Last time we were in Miami Airport it had to be something like 60 degrees in there. We needed our sweatshirts. Then you go outside and it's 90 degrees with a heat index of 105.

• Like 1

plus it's good to get away from the crap air at home for a bit you deserve every bit of the break man.

Oh we definitely have it in the south valley but up there it's a lot less necessary.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

Looks like PDX was warmer than every other station in the metro area this morning by at least 5-6 degrees. UHI has really made their summer overnight lows in particular a joke in recent years.

Most places had a cool morning for this time of year with temps in the low to mid 50s, while PDX barely scraped 60. Looks it was a low of 52 at our place.

• Like 1

Looks like PDX was warmer than every other station in the metro area this morning by at least 5-6 degrees. UHI has really made their summer overnight lows in particular a joke in recent years.

Most places had a cool morning for this time of year with temps in the low to mid 50s, while PDX barely scraped 60. Looks it was a low of 52 at our place.

Yeah this is why I use both PDX and HIO data. The difference between those two stations also comes in when east wind is in play (in fact, Hillsboro is one of the least windy places in the US to my knowledge down with Olympia, Roseburg, and Medford).

Yeah this is why I use both PDX and HIO data. The difference between those two stations also comes in when east wind is in play (in fact, Hillsboro is one of the least windy places in the US to my knowledge down with Olympia, Roseburg, and Medford).

Up until 2009, PDX had only seen two Julys with an average low above 60 (1985 and 1998). Since then they have seen four, counting this year.

Very beautiful day again in downtown Springfield.  Currently 86F.

• Like 1

Personal Stats:

Venmo

Although it looks wetter for western WA on the 18z, it’s also hotter than the 12z particularly next week Monday-Thursday.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Rain like that on Aug 2 has to be exceedingly rare.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

Now that’s a Grand Thought!

Trend North!

we will see. It’s only 5 days out it’s a good chance it’ll verify, but things can always change. It’s definitely trended wetter the last 2 runs.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Its just not worth it for a handful of summer nights.  Most of the time, even when its hot during the day it cools off at night.  Usually the last night before the onshore flow cranks up its pretty miserable.  That said, I have more and more friends starting to install A/C based on how hot/smokey it has been the last few summers. Most of them were because they had someone in the household with asthma, the rest whimped out/got smart depending on your perspective.

I will admit I would like to be in team "whimp out" but we are not going to be in our house long enough to justify it.

• Like 1

That sounds perfect to me! 

I went to Nagoya Japan June 2016 on business, very hot muggy place in the summer, rivaling the southeast in terms of misery.  It was in the upper 80's-low 90's while we were there.  They don't run the A/C much for the sake of the power grid.  The meeting room we were in had the thermostat set to 28C.  Our host took pity on us after lunch and dropped it down to a chilly 26C.  He left us alone the last few hours and I snuck it down to 24C.  The default for my hotel room was 24C but I kept it at 18C.  It was heaven!

• Like 1

That sounds perfect to me!

I went to Nagoya Japan June 2016 on business, very hot muggy place in the summer, rivaling the southeast in terms of misery. It was in the upper 80's-low 90's while we were there. They don't run the A/C much for the sake of the power grid. The meeting room we were in had the thermostat set to 28C. Our host took pity on us after lunch and dropped it down to a chilly 26C. He left us alone the last few hours and I snuck it down to 24C. The default for my hotel room was 24C but I kept it at 18C. It was heaven!

That sounds about right. On Weather Spark, the most far away place Nagoya resembles is Virginia Beach, VA.

As much as I love hot weather, I also run my AC cooler than most. I love the quick contrast of the hot and cool air.

• Like 1

we will see. It’s only 5 days out it’s a good chance it’ll verify, but things can always change. It’s definitely trended wetter the last 2 runs.

Hope it gives us a break. Ok with rain but Hydroplane weekend not ok.

We need the nice weather so families will come support the races. It really is a great time.

I go down to Boeing Field Thursday or Friday to watch the Blue Angels as well as other various aircraft take off to do the air show over Hydro race area. Sunday we find a nice spot along Lake Washington and just chill and enjoy. We shall see how this plays out

I always find it funny how some of the biggest heat misers on here are also AC babies.

It’s funny how you are in general the biggest whiner on the forum.
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Guest CulverJosh

Brother just sent me this photo of a wildfire starting NE of McKay Butte.

Ugh :(

Still nothing compared to recent years. This will go down as a very respectable and historically normal fire year unless August is bad.